Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Honda Fit  (Read 21794 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Preview: 2015 Honda Fit
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 10:22:07 am »
The 6-speed is available. And that's about the only improvement (apart from a modest HP and TQ increase).
The interior isn't that much better, and the generic exterior is meh.
I loved my MkII for the 6 months that I had it but this one won't cause me to lose any sleep. Sorry, Honda.

Not sure what improvements your looking for?  Looks like they have addressed some of the cons of the last generation. 

1. 6th speed manual
2.  More HP and Torque
3.  More Interior space, front and back legroom, no sacrifice in cargo
4.  More Sound Insulation
5.  More standard equipment, Bluetooth, USB, Camera. Can't see a reason to move up a trim now.
6.  Offering Leather to those who want it.
7.  Looks are subjective, I think it looks better.
8.  Improved interior.

Offline dasiuyan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:33 am »
Read the flippin' manual  ;D just joking.

RTFM people, it's Mexico.  Which also means it won't be supply constrained anymore.

I'm happy about the 6-spd, but unhappy about the 'derivative styling and beltline creep'. The interior does retain the magic seat functionality.  In fact they increased interior space.  Still worth a test drive for sure.

US fits will be made in Mexico.  The Canadian Fits will continue to come from China.

Source?  I've read all Fits for North America are from Mexico.

I've read somewhere that Canadian ones will still come from China so that USA can have increased supply.  Maybe that's not right since it is a new plant and should have enough capacity for both.

I would not be surprise. We had a Camry that made in Japan while we have seen same year model that made in the US.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:36 pm »
The 6-speed is available. And that's about the only improvement (apart from a modest HP and TQ increase).
I loved my MkII for the 6 months that I had it but this one won't cause me to lose any sleep. Sorry, Honda.

Not sure what improvements your looking for?  Looks like they have addressed some of the cons of the last generation. 

1. 6th speed manual
2.  More HP and Torque
5.  More standard equipment, Bluetooth, USB, Camera. Can't see a reason to move up a trim now.
8.  Improved interior.

I'd agree - incremental changes to an already great formula - but I still have disinterest towards diminutive putt-putts.  C-segment is the smallest I'd go...unless it's a Lotus.

As far as this thing goes, I think it's very competitive, other than styling that is far too expressive for this category (and this continent).

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 12:30:27 pm »

1. 6th speed manual
2.  More HP and Torque
8.  Improved interior.

I was looking for a 6-speed (yes, thank you) PAIRED with a significant boost in power from a bigger (or boosted) engine available as an option. Better NHV is a welcome bonus but lack of (available) power is THE turn off for ME.
Besides, I can easily confuse this new Fit with a Nissan, and I don't like that.

YMMV

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »
 I owned the first generation .The one thing I found about the car is that the mileage wasn't as good as it could have been.My civic is actually better on gas.
If they say the aerodynamics have  been improved than maybe this will change for the better.
Comments about the styling being like a mini minivan may be true. Not many people buy minivans for the styling.They buy them for the room and versatility.
In this instance the Fit shines, no other car in it's class can compete.Hope they didn't change the space efficiency.
In a way the Fit was kind of like the first generation civics that came to our shores. I also had a 78 civic.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:41:24 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 12:50:11 pm »
Hi Mark,

at the autoshow was there any word of the vezel which is based on this new fit, when it arrives in Canada?

I've been eyeing it for a year now

if u don't know what i'm talking about....here are some pics

http://www.hondasacuras.com/2013/12/honda-vezel-caught-on-factory-lot-ready.html

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-news/honda-vezel-racks-up-24_900-bookings-122905.html

https://www.google.ca/search?q=honda+vezel&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QbLeUpCPO5GNkAfjpoGwCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=894

http://automobiles.honda.com/urban-suv/

ALSO I wonder what the other current fit owners on this thread think about it.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:45 pm »

1. 6th speed manual
2.  More HP and Torque
8.  Improved interior.

I was looking for a 6-speed (yes, thank you) PAIRED with a significant boost in power from a bigger (or boosted) engine available as an option. Better NHV is a welcome bonus but lack of (available) power is THE turn off for ME.
Besides, I can easily confuse this new Fit with a Nissan, and I don't like that.

YMMV

What kind of power?  It's competitive with the Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa, Kia Rio, Sonic.  The Fit has 10-15 HP less than most compacts (like Corolla and Civic) and weights 200lbs less.  Power shouldn't be an issue. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »
I owned the first generation .The one thing I found about the car is that the mileage wasn't as good as it could have been.My civic is actually better on gas.
If they say the aerodynamics have  been improved than maybe this will change for the better.
Comments about the styling being like a mini minivan may be true. Not many people buy minivans for the styling.They buy them for the room and versatility.
In this instance the Fit shines, no other car in it's class can compete.Hope they didn't change the space efficiency.
In a way the Fit was kind of like the first generation civics that came to our shores. I also had a 78 civic.

That's exactly what i thought when it first came out, especially since they ditched the civic hatch.  I like it, but also heard the mileage wasn't as good as its size would suggest  Good fuel economy is the only reason I would buy something in that category.

As far as being produced in mexico, or china; get over it folks because it will becoming more common.  In fact I can see mexico being the hub of auto manufacturing for the americas in the not too distant future.  Makes sense with its strategic location and cheap labour.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:28:56 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 05:27:49 pm »
I also had a 78 civic.
Barrie is that you  :rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 06:05:13 pm »
I also had a 78 civic.

No I actually liked my 78. It was my first car.
I've also been around long enough to remember Barrie. ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 09:46:45 pm »
Made in China???  Geezuz..Jack

The article didn't say that.

Fit will be produced for the first time in Honda’s Celaya, Mexico plant and should be available mid-2014. No pricing information has been announced but expect it to get a slight price drop, closer to the Nissan Versa Note’s MSRP of around $13,500.
both Honda and Mazda have built (are building) brand new $1 Billion+ plants in Mexico...it's too bad...i wish they built them around here.  :(
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 05:34:26 am »
" brand new $1 Billion+ plants in Mexico...it's too bad...i wish they built them around here."

Can't compete with $1 to $2 per hour plus lower environmental and labour standards.   Hence the self destruction inherent in free trade.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:18 am »
I also had a 78 civic.

I see Barrie around London quite often...impressing the chicks with his Caddy.....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 06:41:39 am »
"The car itself is just 160 inches long (4064 mm), almost 2 inches shorter, while the width and wheelbase increase slightly. The important dimensional change is rear legroom, up 4.8 inches (122 mm) in a car that was already decent for its size."

I just want to give congratulations to Honda for sticking to the Fit's mission in life rather than following the typical industry mantra of bigger and heavier every generation.  The Fit is the premium small car and a real marvel in terms of carrying capacity while still managing to be both sporty and efficient.

Cudos to Honda for not screwing this up.

Cheers,
John M.

Northernridge

Preview: 2015 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 07:24:09 am »
I've always liked the Fit...and Honda. Will give them the benefit of the doubt on this new model until it hits the road and is tested. Kinda too bad about the design migrating close to the Civic, looks alright but it's lost a bit of its distinctive charm. I'll also reserve judgement on the CVT...here's hoping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 01:25:00 pm »
Don't dismiss the CVT until you've tried it.  This version on the Fit might be very good.  Also, you might be seduced by the very low rpm it can produce under low load cruising.

The 5 speed manual currently turns around 2500 at 100k and their auto at close to 2150.  Big difference and I'm sure the CVT will run in the high teens.  Will the 6th gear in this model really drop the RPM or are they going sporty with closer ratios.  We'll have to see.

But since the 2015 Fit is now made in China, and is going to experience a price drop of some sort, it has to be a pretty hard package to beat.

Cheers,
John M.

I've tried many CVTs.  While the newer ones are far from horrible, there's nothing about them I love - or even really like, for that matter.  I can't think if a single thing about them that I prefer relative to a good conventional auto - much less the truly delightful manual transmission that graces my wife's current Fit.

The lower highway rpm is a valid point, but that is something that could just as easily have been addressed with a new / upgraded automatic as it could with a CVT.

I'm just not a CVT fan.  Nissan lost me as a customer with their CVT fetish and it seems like Honda is going down that same path.

Funny to hear what is basically the same argument that was happening when I was a kid ,any years ago, manual vs. automatic transmissions. CVT's are here to say, ladies and germs. They are cheaper and more efficient and allow a much wide range of ratios. The huge majority of drivers will never know the difference. If you don't like the CVT, the there is the manual. The only twist in the equation is we are so used to automatics, we now argue about what kind is best. All low end cars will be CVT before very long.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »
I had a Gen 1 Fit and my sister has a Gen 2. I loved mine and I consider it about the perfect urban car. Zippy, great visibility, low running cost and amazing cargo room.

Honda has sold like 4,000,000 of these things. They are so popular they don't have enough supply. In places like Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines they are everywhere.

The Gen 3 just improves on the formula. This car will sell very well.

Offline Googoo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Forte hatch
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »
Lots of nice improvements, still not happy about not having a Civic hatch, but I'll survive. Styling seems like a step down, we'll have to wait for a "sport" edition and see from there.....I'm happy to see a power moonroof, that was 1 of my biggest reasons behind NOT buying the current Fit AND being made in China.

The rising belt line is killing me though, largely because of new safety issues, but enough is enough, let's test from more oblique angles and make it mandatory UGH! I don't buy a car based on possible accidents, but I pay for all the added air bags and crap that add to both my payment and insurance costs!

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 12:37:12 am »
Just came back fro a local Honda Dealer.  First I sat in a 2014 Fit and it was nice, okay but nothing special.  Then i went to an Accord Coupe and sat in it.  I got in and was really impressed by the MASSIVENESS of the instrument panel in the Accord but then I wondered where is the floor of the showroom, I could not see it over the massively high hood beltline. If there was a road ahead of me I would not be able to see the road surface at all.  So I raised the seat to it's highest position until my hair was brushing up against the sunroof shade. I could just barely see out ahead, the forward visibility of the Accord Coupe TOTALLY SUCKS.  If I was driving that car I would be smashing all of the cars around when I was trying to park in any shopping mall parking lots.  Of course maybe that's what all of those cameras are for; to help with parking such a badly designed car?  (for people like me with only so-so parking skills.)
Anyways, I said to myself:  "Nope, not getting that thing, cannot see out of it, yet I'm 5' 9" tall, not all that short"
So then I went back to the 2014 Fit again and sat in it and now it seemed light-years ahead. I could see the road surface much more easily and yes, I could see myself driving one of them. 

So I did some research and I found out that UNLIKE THE NEW CIVIC, the CVT in the 2015 fit will actually be drastically improving the car's fuel efficiency.  (The civic improves only slightly with the CVT).  The new 2015 fit will get a combined efficiency of 36 mpg average compared to the old 2014 fit's overall 31 mpg  ( 2015 Honda Fit First Look -- Edmunds.com     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23C-JpAW3oo  )

I love the blue color, and I love the hatchback design combined with the car's small size.  The crappy fuel efficiency of the old model is what prevented me from wanting one, but now with much improved MPG I think that I just might get one after all.

Now some people might say "learn how to drive a stick".  Well, my answer to that is this:  "Did I mention my lack of driving skills?"  Yup, I'm a 100% automatic guy, no manuals for me, I a manual transmission's worst enemy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:43:21 am by Waterlooresident »