Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Honda Fit  (Read 21797 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2015 Honda Fit
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:26:49 am »

Honda follows in Nissan's recent footsteps with the newest Fit by designing a snub-nosed compact with a continuously variable transmission.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Preview: 2015 Honda Fit
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:57:54 am »
As much as I don't like the auto in Mrs tpl's new Fit, a CVT as the automatic option would have us buying something else.  A nice modern 6 speed ( or more) slushbox or, better, a DCT  might have provoked an early trade in. Apart from that, it looks like an improvement over the Mk II
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:31:30 am »
The interior is an improvement and I'm sure the extra power would be appreciated.  But I'm not in love with the generic-looking exterior (could be a Nissan or a Kia or ...) and boo to the CVT.

The article really didn't address what I would consider to be the most important question: does the new model retain the astonishingly high level of functionality for transporting people and gear that defined the old model? 
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32:59 am »
Don't dismiss the CVT until you've tried it.  This version on the Fit might be very good.  Also, you might be seduced by the very low rpm it can produce under low load cruising.

The 5 speed manual currently turns around 2500 at 100k and their auto at close to 2150.  Big difference and I'm sure the CVT will run in the high teens.  Will the 6th gear in this model really drop the RPM or are they going sporty with closer ratios.  We'll have to see.

But since the 2015 Fit is now made in China, and is going to experience a price drop of some sort, it has to be a pretty hard package to beat.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:48:03 am »
Don't dismiss the CVT until you've tried it.  This version on the Fit might be very good.  Also, you might be seduced by the very low rpm it can produce under low load cruising.

The 5 speed manual currently turns around 2500 at 100k and their auto at close to 2150.  Big difference and I'm sure the CVT will run in the high teens.  Will the 6th gear in this model really drop the RPM or are they going sporty with closer ratios.  We'll have to see.

But since the 2015 Fit is now made in China, and is going to experience a price drop of some sort, it has to be a pretty hard package to beat.

Cheers,
John M.

I've tried many CVTs.  While the newer ones are far from horrible, there's nothing about them I love - or even really like, for that matter.  I can't think if a single thing about them that I prefer relative to a good conventional auto - much less the truly delightful manual transmission that graces my wife's current Fit.

The lower highway rpm is a valid point, but that is something that could just as easily have been addressed with a new / upgraded automatic as it could with a CVT.

I'm just not a CVT fan.  Nissan lost me as a customer with their CVT fetish and it seems like Honda is going down that same path.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:15 am »
 Made in China???  Geezuz..Jack

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:10:01 am »
Too bad.  The CVT in the Kizashi was the best auto box I've ever driven.  I'm sure the one in the Fit will be pretty darn good especially with the increase in power and torque.

I think torque is a key issue with the CVTs.  If you have a lot it, it is like riding the surge from a torque converter.  I'd really like to see one in a diesel.  That would be a lot of fun and the cruising rpm would be incredible.  As well, maybe with one of the new turbocharged small ICE units where the turbo is used mainly for low rpm torque.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:18:32 am »
Made in China???  Geezuz..Jack

The article didn't say that.

Fit will be produced for the first time in Honda’s Celaya, Mexico plant and should be available mid-2014. No pricing information has been announced but expect it to get a slight price drop, closer to the Nissan Versa Note’s MSRP of around $13,500.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 08:27:00 am »

Cheers,
John M.
If it wasn't for mrs tpl's left leg we would still have the manual Mk1 Fit for another 7 years....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:20:57 am »
The 6-speed is available. And that's about the only improvement (apart from a modest HP and TQ increase).
The interior isn't that much better, and the generic exterior is meh.
I loved my MkII for the 6 months that I had it but this one won't cause me to lose any sleep. Sorry, Honda.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:51 am »
I actually think the exterior looks good, possibly the nicest looking car in its class.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 09:29:02 am »
RTFM people, it's Mexico.  Which also means it won't be supply constrained anymore.

I'm happy about the 6-spd, but unhappy about the 'derivative styling and beltline creep'. The interior does retain the magic seat functionality.  In fact they increased interior space.  Still worth a test drive for sure.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:48:21 am »
"RTFM"  ??  WTFDYMBT

The current Fit is made in China and I "Just Assumed"  the 15 would be made there as well.  So it is Mexico for sure?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 09:48:29 am »
RTFM people, it's Mexico.  Which also means it won't be supply constrained anymore.

I'm happy about the 6-spd, but unhappy about the 'derivative styling and beltline creep'. The interior does retain the magic seat functionality.  In fact they increased interior space.  Still worth a test drive for sure.

US fits will be made in Mexico.  The Canadian Fits will continue to come from China. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:08:15 am »
I've recommended the Fit a number of times. The feedback I got from a few people is that they didn't like the mini-minivan look. I'm not sure that I see it myself, but I thought it interesting.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:46 am »
Read the flippin' manual  ;D just joking.

US fits will be made in Mexico.  The Canadian Fits will continue to come from China.

Source?  I've read all Fits for North America are from Mexico.

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 10:14:20 am »
I have a 09 LX manual - getting shy of 100,000kms - still doing well.

Re this new one....r u sure it will come from china? - rather longer journey than mexico wouldn't u say?

I just hope Honda Canada gives us a manual with sunroof and leather option  - in otherwords loaded with the stick!!!

Oh and I'm gonna wait for the vezel or whatever they will call it...urban cuv ---or simply  CR-U! based on the same plateform - which is now selling in japan.

rumour a 1.5turbo may be offered in the future.

its gonna get interesting!

Cheers

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:51 am »
I've recommended the Fit a number of times. The feedback I got from a few people is that they didn't like the mini-minivan look. I'm not sure that I see it myself, but I thought it interesting.

We have an Odyssey as well and when I park the Fit next to it in the garage the Fit looks like a shrunken version of Odyssey.  Mine is made in China.  :o

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 10:17:32 am »
It does look like a mini-minivan.
Looks like a mini Mazda5; tall, long and narrow perspective wise.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 10:21:45 am »
Read the flippin' manual  ;D just joking.

Source?  I've read all Fits for North America are from Mexico.

I've read somewhere that Canadian ones will still come from China so that USA can have increased supply.  Maybe that's not right since it is a new plant and should have enough capacity for both.