Author Topic: GT4 Stinger Is Kia's Wild Genesis Coupe  (Read 5432 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
GT4 Stinger Is Kia's Wild Genesis Coupe
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:54:18 am »

GT4 attempts to connect the dots to Kia's newly developed racing history

Read More...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: GT4 Stinger Is Kia's Wild Genesis Coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:15:44 am »
Wow.  Rear wheel drive, manual tranny, 300+ hp, light weight, near perfect weight distribution.  Sounds good.  I guess it comes down to price and how it actually feels on the road.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:21 am »
While its great to see these concepts I don't get exeticed about them anymore.

While there are currently no plans to bring the concept to production, Kia has a history of delivering production vehicles that bear a strong resemblance to the concept that preceded them, and the GT4 Stinger provides a possible and highly provocative glimpse into Kia’s future. When asked who the GT4 Stinger is intended for, Kearns quips, “It’s a totally selfish design. The design team at KCDA is full of gearheads and enthusiasts, and the GT4 Stinger is the perfect car for that kind of crowd.”

Until its real I have as much chance of driving this as getting a date with Scarlett Johansson.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:15 am »
While its great to see these concepts I don't get exeticed about them anymore.

While there are currently no plans to bring the concept to production, Kia has a history of delivering production vehicles that bear a strong resemblance to the concept that preceded them, and the GT4 Stinger provides a possible and highly provocative glimpse into Kia’s future. When asked who the GT4 Stinger is intended for, Kearns quips, “It’s a totally selfish design. The design team at KCDA is full of gearheads and enthusiasts, and the GT4 Stinger is the perfect car for that kind of crowd.”

Until its real I have as much chance of driving this as getting a date with Scarlett Johansson.

Damn, missed that part.  I just browsed and tried to pick up on specs, ASSuming it was a go.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:23:38 am »
Yeah, Im with quad....concepts mean nothing, cough cough STi cough cough, lets see some production ready stuff then I will get excited. Sounds good on paper.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:27:52 am »
Yeah, Im with quad....concepts mean nothing, cough cough STi cough cough, lets see some production ready stuff then I will get excited. Sounds good on paper.

Exactly. This concept is brilliant but I fear it would be so watered down before getting to the consumer.....

Oh yeah, we will get the fat free, gluten free, dealcoholized version....saying that, dont really like the front end of the thing anyways.

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:38:32 am »
I don't think this one is very attractive. The details seem poorly executed...A-pillars look silly, headlights are from something else, flat-slab hood looks a little duckbill-like, the back of the rear side windows terminate poorly (wrap around sunglasses?) and the slot/vent gougie things under doors look bad too. I expect better from Kia.

The profile and borrowed-from-Volvo rear end look alright.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:57 am »
I don't think this one is very attractive. The details seem poorly executed...A-pillars look silly, headlights are from something else, flat-slab hood looks a little duckbill-like, the back of the rear side windows terminate poorly (wrap around sunglasses?) and the slot/vent gougie things under doors look bad too. I expect better from Kia.

The profile and borrowed-from-Volvo rear end look alright.

I don't. Maybe that's the difference.  :P

LOL...thats where Im coming from....this is like getting a really good steak at Mcdonalds or having a pleasant trip with Air Canada.....youre not expecting the result.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:28 pm »
Pirelli World Whatever championship?! That's their claim on proven race-winning technology and their ability to build a sportscar that will actually be fun to drive? C'mon Hyundai/Kia get serious - get in a recognized series - Tudor, SportsCars in Europe, Nascar, ANYTHING! There's no cred here and anything they have in the market right now - ie. Genesis Coup while a nice looking car and looking good on paper apparently there's a lot of experience that is still missing. Go racing, REAL racing and find that! THEN maybe you'll get some credit.

I mean really its not like they can't afford it! Who wouldn't love to see a factory Kia/Hyundai team in Tudor?
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:27:38 pm »
Pirelli World Whatever championship?! That's their claim on proven race-winning technology and their ability to build a sportscar that will actually be fun to drive? C'mon Hyundai/Kia get serious - get in a recognized series - Tudor, SportsCars in Europe, Nascar, ANYTHING! There's no cred here and anything they have in the market right now - ie. Genesis Coup while a nice looking car and looking good on paper apparently there's a lot of experience that is still missing. Go racing, REAL racing and find that! THEN maybe you'll get some credit.

I mean really its not like they can't afford it! Who wouldn't love to see a factory Kia/Hyundai team in Tudor?

You gotta be a big dog to run in Tudor and be successful.

Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, Viper, Lotus, BMW....Kia?

Sure why not?! In 2012 Hyundai (with Kia) were 5th in sales (7.12 million vehicles according to Wikki). I believe they have/had a car in WRC last year.

If Muscle Milk can put a car in - surely Hyundai with its resources can too.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »

You gotta be a big dog to run in Tudor and be successful.

Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, Viper, Lotus, BMW....Kia?

Why not....Kia/Hyundai are big enough to afford a racing program. If Lotus can, Kia can. I still think they should enter the WRC and touring cars, if the Cruze is such a dominating force in touring cars....why cant a Rio or an Accent be??

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:14 pm »

Have to agree with you there. Anybody can send a car to a tuner shop and have a race car built. Kia/Hyundai need to invest time and money into a series and wait 5-10 years for results from the R&D effort. Putting few stickers on a Genesis Coup is not it.

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:44 pm »
I think Kia/Hyundai should absolutely participate in motorsport. They may be uncompetitive initially but as they say...The best time to plant an oak tree was 20 years ago and the second best time is today.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:22:35 pm »
Wow.  Rear wheel drive, manual tranny, 300+ hp, light weight, near perfect weight distribution.  Sounds good.  I guess it comes down to price and how it actually feels on the road.
I agree totally, I'm hoping Kia will price this thing a little south of the Genesis 2.0t (around 25 k)  and they will sell all they can build, including one to me if it's a hatchback. Watch out Mustang and Camaro.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:38:35 pm by Ace »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »
<3

I thought it would be a 4 door though. But if they're slotting this just below the Genesis Coupe price wise, this could be a winner.