Author Topic: Ford Reveals 2015 F150 With Two New Engines, Aluminum Body  (Read 14232 times)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Reveals 2015 F150 With Two New Engines, Aluminum Body
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:38 pm »
Ford seems to be the clear innovator in the truck segment right now (innovation doesn't always mean good outcomes tho).

Agree that Ford is definitely taking a more cutting edge approach to full-size trucks than GM - and I also agree that this may backfire on them.  Especially if the aluminum body panels are going to be very difficult/expensive to repair, there will be some PISSED fleet owners. But if that isn't going to be a big problem, the weight reduction is great news!

I would disagree that Ford is the "clear innovator" in the truck market - RAM deserves a lot of credit too.  Diesel engine, air-suspension, 8-speed auto, RAMbox, etc... - they are innovating just as much as Ford. 

Now if only a MNFR would "innovate" a full-size truck that wasn't so bloody big!

The only thing about Dodge, I am truly afraid of what all that fancy air suspension, 8spd tranny....blah blah blah will be like after the warranty ends. Fords have generally been fairly reliable, where Dodges have been russian roulette. Anyways, what a great looking truck, Ill still take a 3.5 Ecoboost with a tailgate step and those cool loading ramps. Cant wait to see and drive one.

I see it the other way around.  The hemi is more trouble free then the 5.4, the cummins is way more reliable then nightmare ford diesels have been and bits and pieces are about the same American standard of hit and miss.  I was reading a long list of ecoboost problems on an RV forum yesterday and that engine is still too new to show what real problems lay ahead. 

If I were buying a new pickup today it would be a Dodge or a GMC.

The 5.4 hasn't been around since 2010, neither have the Navistar diesels. The Scorpion 6.7L has been more than decent and the newer Cummins aren't without their issues.

The 3.5L Ecoboost was introduced in 2010 on the 2011s. There are roughly 800k of them on the road out of the 2M F150s sold since the start of 2011. If there were widespread issues, it would be all over the press. The engines rate either "better than average" or "much better than average reliability" over at CR. The 5.0L has been much better than average across the board.

The 5.4 was built in vast numbers and the past is the only to judge reliability.   The 6.7 has had problems and you can find lots of info about ecoboost problems on the net.  Google shudder. Too early to judge durability, a 2011 is pretty much new. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
Ford seems to be the clear innovator in the truck segment right now (innovation doesn't always mean good outcomes tho).

Agree that Ford is definitely taking a more cutting edge approach to full-size trucks than GM - and I also agree that this may backfire on them.  Especially if the aluminum body panels are going to be very difficult/expensive to repair, there will be some PISSED fleet owners. But if that isn't going to be a big problem, the weight reduction is great news!

I would disagree that Ford is the "clear innovator" in the truck market - RAM deserves a lot of credit too.  Diesel engine, air-suspension, 8-speed auto, RAMbox, etc... - they are innovating just as much as Ford. 

Now if only a MNFR would "innovate" a full-size truck that wasn't so bloody big!

The only thing about Dodge, I am truly afraid of what all that fancy air suspension, 8spd tranny....blah blah blah will be like after the warranty ends. Fords have generally been fairly reliable, where Dodges have been russian roulette. Anyways, what a great looking truck, Ill still take a 3.5 Ecoboost with a tailgate step and those cool loading ramps. Cant wait to see and drive one.

I see it the other way around.  The hemi is more trouble free then the 5.4, the cummins is way more reliable then nightmare ford diesels have been and bits and pieces are about the same American standard of hit and miss.  I was reading a long list of ecoboost problems on an RV forum yesterday and that engine is still too new to show what real problems lay ahead. 

The 5.4 hasn't been around since 2010, neither have the Navistar diesels. The Scorpion 6.7L has been more than decent and the newer Cummins aren't without their issues.

The 3.5L Ecoboost was introduced in 2010 on the 2011s. There are roughly 800k of them on the road out of the 2M F150s sold since the start of 2011. If there were widespread issues, it would be all over the press. The engines rate either "better than average" or "much better than average reliability" over at CR. The 5.0L has been much better than average across the board.

The 5.4 was built in vast numbers and the past is the only to judge reliability.   The 6.7 has had problems and you can find lots of info about ecoboost problems on the net.  Google shudder. Too early to judge durability, a 2011 is pretty much new.

If the past was a guide, nobody would touch a Hyundai/Kia and Mercedes would be considered very reliable.

You can find lots of "owners" complaining about sudden accelerating Toyotas too. Doesn't mean much.

The 3.5L TT in pickups is 4 years old now. Plenty of very high mileage ones rolling around.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 03:38:42 pm »

If the past was a guide, nobody would touch a Hyundai/Kia and Mercedes would be considered very reliable.

You can find lots of "owners" complaining about sudden accelerating Toyotas too. Doesn't mean much.

The 3.5L TT in pickups is 4 years old now. Plenty of very high mileage ones rolling around.

Meh, don't waste your energy arguing with PJ.  He's the one who was ever so doubtful on the aluminum use...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »
From edmunds.com (not sure if this was on the autos.ca press release?)

"All 2015 F-150 tow ratings will be certified to the new SAE J2807 standardized tow rating procedure. The Big Three have previously been reluctant to adopt this standard because it would result in a loss of about 300 pounds of capacity and no one wanted to blink first. This time Ford is confident it has made enough gains to overcome this and still maintain or extend its advantage over the competition."

Autoblog is saying that GM will adopt the SAE towing guidelines as well for 2015 (so long as Ford actually follows through when testing its 2015 F150).  If that's true, I can't imagine that RAM would keep holding out if GM, Ford, and Toyota are all using the standardized SAE measurement.  Maybe GM will adopt the SAE measurement for the Colaranyon as well??

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/01/2015-gm-trucks-will-sae-j2807-certified.html

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »
From edmunds.com (not sure if this was on the autos.ca press release?)

"All 2015 F-150 tow ratings will be certified to the new SAE J2807 standardized tow rating procedure. The Big Three have previously been reluctant to adopt this standard because it would result in a loss of about 300 pounds of capacity and no one wanted to blink first. This time Ford is confident it has made enough gains to overcome this and still maintain or extend its advantage over the competition."

Autoblog is saying that GM will adopt the SAE towing guidelines as well for 2015 (so long as Ford actually follows through when testing its 2015 F150).  If that's true, I can't imagine that RAM would keep holding out if GM, Ford, and Toyota are all using the standardized SAE measurement.  Maybe GM will adopt the SAE measurement for the Colaranyon as well??

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/01/2015-gm-trucks-will-sae-j2807-certified.html

I hope so, much like fuel ratings tow ratings need to be standardized so when a manufacturer tell you 10,000Lbs, it means it will do that.
Lighten up Francis.....