Author Topic: Ford Reveals 2015 F150 With Two New Engines, Aluminum Body  (Read 14231 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Ford Reveals 2015 F150 With Two New Engines, Aluminum Body
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:28 am »

New high-strength steel frame, integrated loading ramp, and 700lb weight reduction highlighted

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Ford Reveals 2015 F150 With Two New Engines, Aluminum Body
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:43:36 am »

New high-strength steel frame, integrated loading ramp , and 700lb weight reduction highlighted

Read More...

There you go Hammy....you should have waited. ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:38 am »
Wow...what a great looking truck. The integrated ramp system will be a great selling feature.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:26:54 am »
Is that 2.7L an I4?  Curious that V6's and V8's are mentioned throughout the article but they are quiet on what makes up their 2.7L Ecoboost.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:46:38 am »
It's a small 6

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:03 am »
Looks like it hit R2D2 at 100 mph

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:17 am »
Argh that grille... Tacky is an understatement.  I guess I'm out of the loop of what people want in styling now.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:01 am »
I like what I see. Ford seems to be the clear innovator in the truck segment right now (innovation doesn't always mean good outcomes tho). The weight reduction is amazing. Overall I think this truck looks better than the outgoing one, which also looked good. I agree the giant chrome plastic grill (love the R2D2 comment above) is gaudy, but I bet their is a mostly painted version like the Tundra. I also notice a 'squaring up' of exterior truck design giving Ford and Chevy a more similar silhouette then they've had in years.

Based on the one photo I prefer the F150 interior to the ugly new GM one.

One thing I will say for GM though, you usually have to drive the trucks to appreciate them while Ford has occasionally disappointed me on test drives in the past.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:14 am »

New high-strength steel frame, integrated loading ramp , and 700lb weight reduction highlighted

Read More...

Ha, yeah I read it this morning.... We can trade up in a couple years!

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:28 am »

Read More...

Ha, yeah I read it this morning.... We can trade up in a couple years!

Na, you and your wife have been advised to go with a utility trailer.  ;)

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:39 am »
Not my cup of tea. I'll have a Canyon instead.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:27 am »
Looks great, sounds great.  Love the weight reduction, however it would be interesting to know where aluminum was substituted for steel.

Edit: Remote tailgate release?  Seems like too much.  Maybe for a contractor it would be handy, but for the average truck user it sounds like something else to break.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:00:55 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:34 am »
Ford seems to be the clear innovator in the truck segment right now (innovation doesn't always mean good outcomes tho).

Agree that Ford is definitely taking a more cutting edge approach to full-size trucks than GM - and I also agree that this may backfire on them.  Especially if the aluminum body panels are going to be very difficult/expensive to repair, there will be some PISSED fleet owners. But if that isn't going to be a big problem, the weight reduction is great news!

I would disagree that Ford is the "clear innovator" in the truck market - RAM deserves a lot of credit too.  Diesel engine, air-suspension, 8-speed auto, RAMbox, etc... - they are innovating just as much as Ford. 

Now if only a MNFR would "innovate" a full-size truck that wasn't so bloody big!

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:16:16 am »
Ford seems to be the clear innovator in the truck segment right now (innovation doesn't always mean good outcomes tho).

Agree that Ford is definitely taking a more cutting edge approach to full-size trucks than GM - and I also agree that this may backfire on them.  Especially if the aluminum body panels are going to be very difficult/expensive to repair, there will be some PISSED fleet owners. But if that isn't going to be a big problem, the weight reduction is great news!

I would disagree that Ford is the "clear innovator" in the truck market - RAM deserves a lot of credit too.  Diesel engine, air-suspension, 8-speed auto, RAMbox, etc... - they are innovating just as much as Ford. 

Now if only a MNFR would "innovate" a full-size truck that wasn't so bloody big!

Agreed Ram is innovating too. Ford does strike me as taking a more 'clean sheet' approach though.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:29 am »
From edmunds.com (not sure if this was on the autos.ca press release?)

"All 2015 F-150 tow ratings will be certified to the new SAE J2807 standardized tow rating procedure. The Big Three have previously been reluctant to adopt this standard because it would result in a loss of about 300 pounds of capacity and no one wanted to blink first. This time Ford is confident it has made enough gains to overcome this and still maintain or extend its advantage over the competition."

Good on you Ford...can now make an actual comparison of tow ratings (well, at least to Toyota).  Now get GM and RAM to follow suit.  What a novel concept - a standardized test which produces meaningful results!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 11:35:16 am »

The only thing about Dodge, I am truly afraid of what all that fancy air suspension, 8spd tranny....blah blah blah will be like after the warranty ends. Fords have generally been fairly reliable, where Dodges have been russian roulette. Anyways, what a great looking truck, Ill still take a 3.5 Ecoboost with a tailgate step and those cool loading ramps. Cant wait to see and drive one.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:33 am »
lots of innovation for sure... whether it's innovation for innovations sake or for the final consumers benefit, we have yet to see.

i like the aluminum use but we'll have to wait and see about alloys used, how well it all joins together and how it holds up... i hope it's a good thing. figure most cars have been using aluminum for certain things (hoods mainly) so they should hold up to vehicle use...

the 2.7... i don't know. they seem to have issues with ecoboost stuff now, why get a smaller engine to move what is still a big truck? though it's lighter, the drag coefficient still will give a small engine a workout.

overall... should be nice. though they say prices will be similar to current ones.... will incentives be similar too? i'd guess nope. and that's where the big difference will be.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:08 am »
lots of innovation for sure... whether it's innovation for innovations sake or for the final consumers benefit, we have yet to see.

i like the aluminum use but we'll have to wait and see about alloys used, how well it all joins together and how it holds up... i hope it's a good thing. figure most cars have been using aluminum for certain things (hoods mainly) so they should hold up to vehicle use...

the 2.7... i don't know. they seem to have issues with ecoboost stuff now, why get a smaller engine to move what is still a big truck? though it's lighter, the drag coefficient still will give a small engine a workout.

overall... should be nice. though they say prices will be similar to current ones.... will incentives be similar too? i'd guess nope. and that's where the big difference will be.

Good comments, lots going in the truck segment these days. You bring up an interesting point about light weight and engines...funny, my mind goes right to the benefit of more power not less in a lighter weight truck.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 11:51:07 am »

Good comments, lots going in the truck segment these days. You bring up an interesting point about light weight and engines...funny, my mind goes right to the benefit of more power not less in a lighter weight truck.

Im with you....I buy trucks to haul and pull, so to me, lighter weight=less stability and more power=more betterer always  ;D I guess the 2.7 could be ok for someone hauling lots of big, bulky, light things, packing peanuts, foam, bubble wrap....you know, takes up a bunch of room but weighs practically nothing.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 12:01:14 pm »

Im with you....I buy trucks to haul and pull, so to me, lighter weight=less stability and more power=more betterer always  ;D I guess the 2.7 could be ok for someone hauling lots of big, bulky, light things, packing peanuts, foam, bubble wrap....you know, takes up a bunch of room but weighs practically nothing.

Or the millions of people who just like the look/idea of a truck and use it 99% of the time as a one passenger commuter vehicle.