Author Topic: What "build and price" sites have you been on lately  (Read 241005 times)

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
Re: What "build and price" sites have you been on lately
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2014, 08:20:30 am »
Back to the Golf....hey VW: 

Why did the Golf loose 9HP?  All other regions get the 2015 GTI in 220HP form. 

GTI's Performance Pack which adds 10HP and better engine management (bringing all other regions up to 230HP)? 

Where are the cool wheels?  All we get is the leftover pizza dishes from the previous generation.  See below:

Let's not get started on the lack of the one thing many were hoping for:  a 4Motion option. 

Damn why do the European car makers dump things down so much?  :(

Cost probably....not a lot of people willing to pay $35-40K for a not GTi golf with awd.

Maybe but still; for Canada it would be a major selling point.  Not to mention that with options the TDI optioned out in Highline trim without 4Motion almost hits 40K.  :(

Most expensive Golf is a Highline TDI DSG with multimedia package for $36k.

Like I said; almost 40K for a Golf TDI.  Makes me wonder what they'll sell the GTD for.  $45K? 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2014, 11:42:02 am »
Like I said; almost 40K for a Golf TDI.  Makes me wonder what they'll sell the GTD for.  $45K?

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous assumption. There's no reason for the GTD's price not to be on par with the equivalent GTI – either exactly the same or a small premium.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2014, 09:50:06 am »
I'm seriously considering a Golf next, and the base 5-door MT seems like an awesome deal.  Standard AC, cruise, Bluetooth, heated seats, etc.  What else do you need?  Skip the comfortline where they force vinyl seats on you.  Seriously, who wants these crappy vinyl seats that every car has these days??

Now, if only there was more than just blue, and various shades of black for colours... come on VW.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:42 am »
I'm seriously considering a Golf next, and the base 5-door MT seems like an awesome deal.  Standard AC, cruise, Bluetooth, heated seats, etc.  What else do you need?  Skip the comfortline where they force vinyl seats on you.  Seriously, who wants these crappy vinyl seats that every car has these days??

Now, if only there was more than just blue, and various shades of black for colours... come on VW.

I agree, the Comfortline is very appealing.  Nice to see the TDI is available in the comfortline trim. It's nice that the interior comes in two colours, not very common.   I wonder if getting the TDI, is just a powertrain difference, or is there anything else it gets?  I am more interested when the wagon TDI comes, right now the previous generation Trendline wagon TDI manual starts at $28,000.  With the Golf TDI comfortline at $23,000, I would expect it to be around $25,000 which is a great deal!

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2014, 04:10:34 pm »

I agree, the Comfortline is very appealing.  Nice to see the TDI is available in the comfortline trim. It's nice that the interior comes in two colours, not very common.   I wonder if getting the TDI, is just a powertrain difference, or is there anything else it gets?  I am more interested when the wagon TDI comes, right now the previous generation Trendline wagon TDI manual starts at $28,000.  With the Golf TDI comfortline at $23,000, I would expect it to be around $25,000 which is a great deal!

I think you're looking at the Golf TDI trendline, it's the one that starts at 23K.  Still, for that 4K premium, you need to do a lot of hwy driving to make it worth while.

Can anyone confirm the new base 1.8TSI uses regular?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2014, 05:05:18 pm »

Yes.

See here about the engine that's now in the Jetta (as of MY 2014): http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2014-volkswagen-jetta-1-8-tsi-highline/

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2014, 05:32:12 pm »

I think you're looking at the Golf TDI trendline, it's the one that starts at 23K.  Still, for that 4K premium, you need to do a lot of hwy driving to make it worth while.

The Golf TDI trendline starts at 23k, the Golf 5 door trendline starts at $19995, only a 3k premium, average between 25-30k easily a year.  If I were to get a vehicle like this, I would easily keep it 6 years.  Currently my wife drives 100km round trip, 90% highway.... And besides diesels are more than just fuel economy, some like the different drive, and don't forget the torque!

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:08 am »
Attempted to "build and price" on the Mini website but it won't go past "select your region" using FireFox and IE. Do I have to DL a different browser just to use your site Mini ? I miss the good old days of the Internet when everything just worked fine with simple HTML... Yup, gotta use Chrome it seems...

Northernridge

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2014, 01:06:29 pm »
Was looking on Porsche Canada and ended up checking out CPO Caymans (and non-CPO used)...they strike me as expensive relative to new ones.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »
Was looking on Porsche Canada and ended up checking out CPO Caymans (and non-CPO used)...they strike me as expensive relative to new ones.

Had the same observation. My base line comparison to any CPO Cayman is a new base model with a 19 inch wheel and sports steering wheel upgrade is ~$63,000 plus tax. It usually comes down to options, which I typically don't care for. Dammit I want that car...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:36 am »
2014 Nissan Rogue.

Never thought about it before yesterday.  never even read or heard/viewed any reviews.  ..

built and priced on Nissan.ca and it's cheaper than CX-5.   hmmmmm.  test drive might be in order.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2014, 10:42:10 am »
Ford, Subaru, Toyota

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »
2014 Nissan Rogue.

Never thought about it before yesterday.  never even read or heard/viewed any reviews.  ..

built and priced on Nissan.ca and it's cheaper than CX-5.   hmmmmm.  test drive might be in order.

Much like the new Pathfinder, the Rogue seems to be quite a good value.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »
Mazda.  Pricing out a Mazda 3 GT Sport.

Surprisingly decent website that allows you to add taxes / PDI.   

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2014, 02:47:20 pm »
2014 Nissan Rogue.

Much like the new Pathfinder, the Rogue seems to be quite a good value.

Pretty decent value, saw it 3 times while looking at Versa/Sentra.  It's $1250 cheaper than comparable CX-5 GS AWD.  I wouldn't want 3rd row in this segment.  And prefer a 6 speed auto. 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:33 am »
just for fun I built a BMW X1

2014 BMW X1 xDrive 35i $39,990
that seems pretty reasonable looking at the starting price, but things get crazy pretty quickly.

paint +$895

a selection of Terra Nevada Leather forces me into the "x-line" package increasing the price.
I'm now at $3345 in "options"

A sunroof is $1600 (this should really be standard on a BMW)
If you want a simple Navigation, you're forced into a $2,200 tech package.
 (none of these I've selected)

here's more "options" that surprised me
electric seat $950
Storage Compartment Package $350 (WTF is this????   :think:)

So that base price with a forced package for a specific exterior and interior colour now costs:
$46,245 (all fees except taxes)

WOW!

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2014, 11:44:13 am »

that seems pretty reasonable looking at the starting price, but things get crazy pretty quickly.

paint +$895

a selection of Terra Nevada Leather forces me into the "x-line" package increasing the price.

electric seat $950

So that base price with a forced package for a specific exterior and interior colour now costs:

WOW!

Welcome to BMW. 

I saw the upcoming list price and option packages for the X3 diesel.  If you thought the X1 packages were crazy, you ain't seen nothing yet! 

Northernridge

« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:55 pm »

paint +$895

electric seat $950

WOW!

Solstice2006 has inspired my 'Go for the stripper' campaign.  ;D

I'm not finished obsessing about the sub $53k base C7. I bet the base X1 is still very good.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »
I'm not finished obsessing about the sub $53k base C7. I bet the base X1 is still very good.

I'm learning that the "base" on the luxury brands is meaningless.

first, the base means only getting certain colours.  Many of them they charge you for.
In this build I found a nice exterior / interior combo that I liked and was forced to add a package.

Aside from that sunroof might be the only thing I'd really like to have which would add costs.
My opnion however is that any "high end" car should have this as standard.
It's obvious that many brands are taking some really wanted options and setting them up so that you can only get it through some package which includes all kinds of other crap you don't need!!!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:47 pm »
Back on the Volvo site and it seems they have removed the specs for most of their cars. Really hope its only temporary as they ramp up for 2015 models.