Author Topic: Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:39:07 am »

New generation of SKYACTIV-G engines due in 2020

Read More...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:46:08 am »
Can't say that I'm shocked on this one, not even a little bit surprised.

While Mazda understands its SKYACTIV-D can meet emission regulation requirements without the use of a NOx after-treatment system, it was decided that further development is required to deliver the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance.

Doesn't Mazda already have this engine on the other side of the pond? Seems like a crappy excuse to me or do they get an engine that delivers poor fuel economy and bad driving performance.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:46 am »
That's a shame. 

I think Mazda really needs to differentiate itself from Honda and Toyota.  Being sportier will only go so far.  The Diesel would have allowed them to compete in a less crowded field and given them a foothold in the diesel market.

Now if they'd only bring back that damned wagon.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:00 am »

While Mazda understands its SKYACTIV-D can meet emission regulation requirements without the use of a NOx after-treatment system, it was decided that further development is required to deliver the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance.

Doesn't Mazda already have this engine on the other side of the pond? Seems like a crappy excuse to me or do they get an engine that delivers poor fuel economy and bad driving performance.

Their emissions regs are different so they can produce more NOx on the other side.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:29:38 am »

Their emissions regs are different so they can produce more NOx on the other side.

Are you sure about that, this week?   Didn't Euro 6 come into force which supposedly made the diesel emissions very close to the EPA.   Certainly the previous ( or current if I am mistaken) diesel emissions were easier on NOx.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:18 am »
Dammit, this would have made the CX5 a serious candidate for me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
Dammit, this would have made the CX5 a serious candidate for me.

Wouldn't that have made them with the only CUV under $35K with a diesel? I would think that would be a good market to own.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:41:46 am »
They were having issues with the engine leaking diesel into the sump and thinning the engine oil.

In order to burn off carbon from the particulate trap, they inject some fuel into the exhaust. Apparently that system is what ends up leaking. If the engine oil is thinned too much, the engine ends up severely damaged.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:02:00 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:49:03 am »
That's too bad.

But 2nd gen Skyactiv Gasoline engine with 18:1 compression ratio and no spark plugs? Colour me intrigued...

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 12:03:10 pm »

Are you sure about that, this week?   Didn't Euro 6 come into force which supposedly made the diesel emissions very close to the EPA.   Certainly the previous ( or current if I am mistaken) diesel emissions were easier on NOx.

Not sure, but if it is already out (Mazda 6 diesel), it may get grandfathered until a redesign. That's just a guess though.

Offline mleitman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Dodge Journey R/T
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 01:28:57 pm »
Mazda North American Operations is the US importer of Mazda vehicles.  In Canada it's Mazda Canada Inc.  Is this no-diesel word from/on behalf of Canada too?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:01:34 pm »
Well that's a :censor: shame.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »
Damn, I hate to be right on this one. The Skyactiv D was simply "vapourware" for NA. Good concept, but obviously the company has no real intentions to differentiate itself and offer consumers REAL choice. How they have slipped.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
That's a shame. 

I think Mazda really needs to differentiate itself from Honda and Toyota.  Being sportier will only go so far.  The Diesel would have allowed them to compete in a less crowded field and given them a foothold in the diesel market.

I'd buy the 6 wagon tomorrow if it was available...well in the spring anyway... :-\  Gorgeous car!

Fack the diesel!  My interest in diesel has finally waned after the last few weeks when I had to visit several stations over and over day after day looking for diesel because most had run out due to demand during the storm.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:28:16 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 06:44:11 am »
Mazda North American Operations is the US importer of Mazda vehicles.  In Canada it's Mazda Canada Inc.  Is this no-diesel word from/on behalf of Canada too?

As soon as we posted the press release from Mazda USA, we got the same one from Mazda Canada.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 07:34:46 am »
That's a shame. 

I'd buy the 6 wagon tomorrow if it was available...well in the spring anyway... :-\  Gorgeous car!

Fack the diesel!  My interest in diesel has finally waned after the last few weeks when I had to visit several stations over and over day after day looking for diesel because most had run out due to demand during the storm.
Why do you need diesel, the company truck ?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 07:35:45 am »
A gas engine with an 18:1 compression ratio.....what could pssibly go wrong with that?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:50 am »
That's a shame. 

Why do you need diesel, the company truck ?

Generators...lots of visits at all hours... :P

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 10:22:45 am »
Damn, I hate to be right on this one. The Skyactiv D was simply "vapourware" for NA. Good concept, but obviously the company has no real intentions to differentiate itself and offer consumers REAL choice. How they have slipped.

What makes you think Mazda was not sincere in trying to offer diesel to North America.  You think they want the bad PR of promising a diesel on to have it delayed, then delayed indefinitely.  Blame the government for having different emissions regulations than Europe.  I would rather have them delay it or not bring it, then to have them bring it, the consumer buy it, and we have problems with it.  Recalls, TSB, etc....  Mazda is pretty good for their lack of recalls.  They care about their rep...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:40 pm »

What makes you think Mazda was not sincere in trying to offer diesel to North America.  You think they want the bad PR of promising a diesel on to have it delayed, then delayed indefinitely.  Blame the government for having different emissions regulations than Europe.  I would rather have them delay it or not bring it, then to have them bring it, the consumer buy it, and we have problems with it.  Recalls, TSB, etc....  Mazda is pretty good for their lack of recalls.  They care about their rep...

Agreed.  It is sad, but certainly better to hold it back to prevent any issues rather than offer a product that can tarnish the name and cost more in recalls.