Author Topic: Enterprise tries to charge woman for car stolen AFTER she had returned it!  (Read 40964 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Enterprise tries to charge woman for car stolen AFTER she had returned it!
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:39 pm »
Corporations should not be bullied just because they are enforcing their policies, which abide by the law.

You mean IF they abide by the law, there is no guarantee that a contract does, even if written by highly paid lawyers.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Enterprise tries to charge woman for car stolen AFTER she had returned it!
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2014, 06:10:10 pm »
^ Hence the phrase "The law is an assfair;D
^^^ fixed  :rofl2:

^ Hence the phrase "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"  :stick: ;D

(Henry VI part II Act 4 scene 2)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2014, 06:47:17 pm »
^ Hence the phrase "The law is an assfair;D
^^^ fixed  :rofl2:

You must be either very young or very naive if you are confusing "The law" with fairness.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2014, 07:06:20 pm »
The law is a profession that provides a great livelihood to many people, who also conspire to ensure that the profession has more opportunity to make money in future.

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2014, 07:07:40 pm »
If laws were fair and lawyers were right we wouldn't need judges.

If judges and lawyers were right we wouldn't need appeals courts.

If they were right we wouldn't need the supreme courts.

And if they were right we wouldn't need wars.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2014, 01:05:07 pm »

Your entire argument is based on the first premise, which is incorrect.  We need judges to administer the law, not because laws aren't fair.  Wherein there is a legal dispute, there may be several laws in play, which may contradict or may be ambiguous.  Parliament creates laws, not lawyers or judges.  Parliament can be unfair.
In the civil context, including corporate law, it's not who has the most expensive lawyers.  I've beaten lawyers with their names on the doors at international offices...the law is upheld where it fits the situation.

Just because you don't like that Enterprise has more money than you doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to enforce their legal rights.  Similarly, just because Enterprise is a corporation doesn't mean they shouldn't have legal rights.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »

Your entire argument is based on the first premise, which is incorrect.  We need judges to administer the law, not because laws aren't fair.  Wherein there is a legal dispute, there may be several laws in play, which may contradict or may be ambiguous.  Parliament creates laws, not lawyers or judges.  Parliament can be unfair.
In the civil context, including corporate law, it's not who has the most expensive lawyers.  I've beaten lawyers with their names on the doors at international offices...the law is upheld where it fits the situation.

Just because you don't like that Enterprise has more money than you doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to enforce their legal rights.  Similarly, just because Enterprise is a corporation doesn't mean they shouldn't have legal rights.

Corporations lobby government to allow the rules that benefit them most. Our MPs are mostly lawyers and have to look after their lives after government, so are more than happy to oblige.

The corporations also have the money to get any judgements that do go against them tied up for years. Exxon finally exhausted every avenue in 2009, 20 years after the Valdez oil spill, while having their punitive damages reduced from $5B to $500M. The $5B was roughly one year of Exxon's net profit at the time. Hardly crippling for the company.

Without equal right to representation, the law will never be fair. The closest it comes now is in class action suits. But those are difficult to start in Canada and the end result is typically very low payouts to the individuals involved.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2014, 02:07:59 pm »
i love when lawyers get brought up.. people always act as if they are the worst thing ever and this lady is being taken advantage of and all that.... she has a lawyer as well that is trying to fight *for* her, right?

while i get shat on all the time for selling cars, must be tough for lawyers... whether they are on the "good" side or the "bad"... they are still seen as the enemy.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2014, 02:10:32 pm »
The law is a profession that provides a great livelihood to many people, who also conspire to ensure that the profession has more opportunity to make money in future.

You know the old saying....."One lawyer in a town and he starves....two lawyers in a town and they both get rich."  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 02:34:37 pm »
Thankfully I haven't needed help with criminal law but other lawyers have helped me quite a bit over the years. I've also had law firms as clients and served on boards with lawyers, they seem pretty normal to me...maybe a little more refined at debate than most.

Complex law is a product of the world we live in...makes me wonder more about the law makers than the lawyers.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2014, 02:36:36 pm »
Thankfully I haven't needed help with criminal law but other lawyers have helped me quite a bit over the years. I've also had law firms as clients and served on boards with lawyers, they seem pretty normal to me...maybe a little more refined at debate than most.

Complex law is a product of the world we live in...makes me wonder more about the law makers than the lawyers.

Often one and the same. :-\

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:24 pm »
"I hate all lawyers, except mine, he's terrific!" :-)

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:05 am »
^^^yip.  I have a client with a careless driving charge that I'm taking care of pro bono.  The lawmakers allow police to give out these tickets like flyers under a wiper blade - but at 6 points, with a minimum fine of $400, and the possibility of imprisonment, it is one of the most serious traffic offences.  I blame Parliament, and to a lesser extent, the police, but mostly Parliament for allowing such an economization of the law.  Traffic tickets are not about making money, they're about discouraging unsafe driving.  Just because an accident occurs does not mean that in every case a careless driving ticket should be given - especially in fender benders.

SirO, I laugh at any sentence that starts with "The corporations".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2014, 10:51:51 am »
^^^yip.  I have a client with a careless driving charge that I'm taking care of pro bono.  The lawmakers allow police to give out these tickets like flyers under a wiper blade - but at 6 points, with a minimum fine of $400, and the possibility of imprisonment, it is one of the most serious traffic offences.  I blame Parliament, and to a lesser extent, the police, but mostly Parliament for allowing such an economization of the law.  Traffic tickets are not about making money, they're about discouraging unsafe driving.  Just because an accident occurs does not mean that in every case a careless driving ticket should be given - especially in fender benders.

SirO, I laugh at any sentence that starts with "The corporations".

This is that woman that couldnt control her car and went into oncoming traffic right....Im still in the boat that she deserved the ticket.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2014, 11:15:10 am »
This is that woman that couldnt control her car and went into oncoming traffic right....Im still in the boat that she deserved the ticket.

Nope - that one was my friend, this one is my client.  My friend's ticket was turfed at the first appearance as there was no possibility of conviction based on the circumstances of the case.

This new client literally traded paint in a parking lot and got hit with careless driving.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2014, 11:16:29 am »

Nope - that one was my friend, this one is my client.  My friend's ticket was turfed at the first appearance as there was no possibility of conviction based on the circumstances of the case.

This new client literally traded paint in a parking lot and got hit with careless driving.

Sigh....sounds like the OPP is a bunch of bored, natzis simply looking to pad their pockets....the more I hear about them, the less I want to drive in that province. They were horrid when I was there, it sounds like they got worse.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2014, 11:20:07 am »
Isn't the new way of giving tickets just give out the highest crime and let the courts work it out?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2014, 11:20:27 am »

I though parking lots were private property and OUTSIDE roadway laws.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:27 am »
Even the presence of the drop box itself implies that it is a typical way of returning a vehicle. If it was a significant risk, logically, the company wouldn't even have one.
It's not a significant risk to Enterprise - it's a significant risk to the renter, who has the option to use it or not.  Hence, logically, the company is gratuitously providing a service, and the renters of the world should be happy they have the option...even if they'd be crazy to opt for it.  I never would.

It's their car. Their representative is providing drop off instructions, they have a drop box, but they attempted to deny responsibility for the possible results of those features. The public backlash has pretty well demonstrated where the risk truly lies.

SirOsis, although i don't disagree with your point, let me say an opposing view.

just because something is offered does not mean that whoever's offering the service accept all liability.  like NoTo says, whoever's choosing to use the service do so with the understanding that they are liable for whatever that happens.

if i play around in the city park and injure myself, i would not hold the city liable, and it's just not reasonable for me to expect that just because city provides a park doesn't mean everything that results from using it is city's responsibility.

Ah but you have a choice as to whether you will play in a park or not.  If you choose not to, you will not be out of pocket anything.  If the woman waits until Monday morning to return the car, she will be out of pocket another day's rental.  If she returns it early, she faces the problem of possibly not being able to use the car for the purpose for which rented it in the first place.

The problem with this situation is that it places the renter in a legal limbo.  Nobody is there to receive the key, yet using the company supplied alternative places the renter in a situation of assuming all the risk and having none of the control.

The handoff of the key (and hence the car) must be handled better by the company.  Use cameras, hire staff to allow for longer working hours or even automate the process using a gated system that keys to a transponder in the car, perhaps.  In any case, more imaginative thinking is required than has been displayed currently by all parties involved.

Expensive legal proceedings or not, I think it is worth hashing this issue out in the courts and in the classrooms.  I can see Law professors going over this one quite thoroughly with their students.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2014, 11:47:20 am »
i'm pretty sure there is stipulation saying that if the company is not open during the scheduled drop off, the rental is extended until regular operating hours at no additional cost to the customer.

gets out of that one.