Author Topic: Enterprise tries to charge woman for car stolen AFTER she had returned it!  (Read 40950 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Enterprise tries to charge woman for car stolen AFTER she had returned it!
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:45 pm »
I though parking lots were private property and OUTSIDE roadway laws

Nope.  Public space.  Same as your front driveway.  Ontario Court of Appeals circa 2010.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
Isn't the new way of giving tickets just give out the highest crime and let the courts work it out?
Yes, and it works, except for instances where someone has a prior conviction within the same year...then the prosecutors will not give any reductions, and you have to go to trial to fight a careless driving charge for trivial offences.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:56 pm »
They have $9.99 weekend specials......rent 5 and maybe ONLY TWO will be stolen....
 :think: :stick: :light: :bounce: :pimp: :thumbup: :banana:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »
If the woman waits until Monday morning to return the car, she will be out of pocket another day's rental.  If she returns it early, she faces the problem of possibly not being able to use the car for the purpose for which rented it in the first place.

Incorrect - Enterprise has dealt with this by having their "weekend rates".  There is no charge for Sunday.

i.e. if 3 days is usually $40/day, a weekend rate for Enterprise is $20/day (50% off) to cover the closed hours.  There is no difference in cost between a Saturday at 12:01pm drop off or a Monday at 7:30am drop off.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2014, 03:11:30 pm »
Complex law is a product of the world we live in...makes me wonder more about the law makers than the lawyers.
^^^yip.  I have a client with a careless driving charge that I'm taking care of pro bono.  The lawmakers allow police to give out these tickets like flyers under a wiper blade - but at 6 points, with a minimum fine of $400, and the possibility of imprisonment, it is one of the most serious traffic offences.  I blame Parliament, and to a lesser extent, the police, but mostly Parliament for allowing such an economization of the law.  Traffic tickets are not about making money, they're about discouraging unsafe driving.  Just because an accident occurs does not mean that in every case a careless driving ticket should be given - especially in fender benders.

SirO, I laugh at any sentence that starts with "The corporations".

Nervous laughter is a pretty common reaction when the boss is criticized.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken