Author Topic: Consumer Reports Names 10 Best And Worst Cars For The Dollar  (Read 8665 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Consumer Reports Names 10 Best And Worst Cars For The Dollar
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 11:02:48 am »
Saying that they included depreciation has me confused. Shouldn't that mean the worst list should be all 100K luxury vehicles what drop 70,000+ in five years?  ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:58 am »
yeah sailor that was my thought...

i guess it makes sense for cr to bash the vehicles that fall outside of regular parameters... most people who swear by cr and cr only really wouldn't appreciate what those kinds of vehicles offer whether its off-road ability, pure sportiness, or sex appeal. if there was some kind of special bump in the numbers for a vehicle like a jeep for its special abilities, it might score well enough to get purchased by someone who is a pure appliance buyer... and they would not be happy. so i guess it's good that they score the way they do... and that most people know how they do it and what to expect.

though i find it odd when a 2 seater car can still score well... i would think the strong majority of buyers need more than two seats, so why doesn't it fail automatically?... a wrangler unlimited might not be the most comfortable, but it would at least be possible to drive your family of four somewhere, whereas it's just not possible in say a miata. i'm sure for those types of vehicles, they assume the purchaser knows what they are looking at and scores the car differently. why they can't do that for other specialty vehicles is where i see issues. I guess as long as next to the crappy score, they attempt to give whatever vehicle it is accolades for what it does do better than any other car.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »

sooo...the Corolla costs a WHOLE cent more per mile than the Prius?