Author Topic: What would you say to government regulated auto loans?  (Read 8308 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
What would you say to government regulated auto loans?
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:04 am »
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/government-says-10-downpayment-required-on-auto-loans-1486177241

what do you think ?

coles note : gov proposes to limit new car loans to 10% down mandatory and 6 years max.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: What would you say to government regulated auto loans?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:55:17 am »
I think the industry should do this, but since greed is the biggest motivator is greed maybe the gov't should impose those rules. I agree that some personal finance teaching should be part of the school curriculum. Ego seems to get people in debt. People do need protection from themselves. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:47:54 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:05 am »
They (Gov) regulate our largest purchase ,a house, with strict mortgage requirements
 so no surprise they are going after the 2nd largest purchase a car....soon we will need
 a loan for comestibles  ??? (food) the next on the list :P ........

Vote for me  FREE BEER in Every Man Cave....cheap wine for the broads ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:14:31 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:59:36 am »
Some basic personal finance education as part of the school system would probably be better. But I suppose you do have to protect people from stabbing themselves sometimes.

10% and 6yr max doesn't sound too restrictive. Probably wise.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:05:11 pm »
It's probably a good idea. They should also prohibit rolling the balance of loans over into a subsequent purchase.

Personally, I'd be more interested in having the window sticker be the on-the-road price. That would take much of the headache out of buying a car.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:23:53 pm »
You lost me at "Government regulated". So, no. Just no.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »

Yeah! Except for clean water, clean air, safe food, safe medicine, safe cars and highways, what has the government ever done for us?

Let the market solve air pollution!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:34:39 pm »
This has nothing to do with protecting consumers from themselves.  It's about securitization of debt sold as something it is not. 

How is something like this going to pass in a country were in 20 or so states lenders can charge 25% per month on Car Title Loans.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:11:48 pm »
Even if they try to control auto loans people could just put 100% of the cost on a home secured line of credit and pay it over decades. 

mmret has a better idea, make education in finances a standard course in schools.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 02:17:04 pm »
70% of the population requires protection from themselves. The blame rests with the institutions who prey on these 70%. If I took the money the bank wanted to give us when we first moved to Oakville I would be living on Lakeshore Drive, fackng insane.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
70% of the population requires protection from themselves. The blame rests with the institutions who prey on these 70%. If I took the money the bank wanted to give us when we first moved to Oakville I would be living on Lakeshore Drive, fackng insane.

I don't think the blame rests with the institutions.  It rests with the people that are too stupid to do basic math.  When you borrow money you have to pay it back.  Pretty easy to figure out when you're in too far.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 02:46:31 pm »
Even if they try to control auto loans people could just put 100% of the cost on a home secured line of credit and pay it over decades. 

mmret has a better idea, make education in finances a standard course in schools.
When auto loans were regulated in the UK years ago there were MANY kitchen renovations driving around.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
Like this Spanish "SEAT" ;D ;)

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »

Yeah! Except for clean water, clean air, safe food, safe medicine, safe cars and highways, what has the government ever done for us?

I believe citizens are capable of making their own decisions on consumer loans with minimal paternal oversight.

I do support government regulation for many broad public safety issues including some that you've identified. I also believe that all governments, regardless of political stripe, tend towards over regulation. "Give an inch and they'll take a mile" applies to policy makers and therefore debate on their process is always required, that's my focus.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »

I believe citizens are capable of making their own decisions on consumer loans with minimal paternal oversight.

I do support government regulation for many broad public safety issues including some that you've identified. I also believe that all governments, regardless of political stripe, tend towards over regulation. "Give an inch and they'll take a mile" applies to policy makers and therefore debate on their process is always required, that's my focus.

All you have to do is look at the 2008 collapse to see what happens when the government steps away from regulating and enforcing those regulations. The unregulated derivatives market is still a mess and could very well collapse again. Financial institutions are literally banking on the fact that they are "too big to fail."

I believe that professionals in any industry can take advantage of an average citizen, not because the citizen is dumb, but these companies spend a lot of time and money researching ways to "maximise profit" regardless of the morality of the situation. Car loans, phone plans, cable bills, they screw people with the fine print all the time. Governments are the only means of setting limits on corporate behaviour.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:13 pm »
people will always find a way around the regulations... i don't want to see this in place... i want to see debtors prisons and work houses and such back in place! (just in time for "a christmas carol"!)

as for rolling in other loans, all they would have to do is say the loan can only be for 90% of the vehicle price or something similar.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 04:34:10 pm »

All you have to do is look at the 2008 collapse to see what happens when the government steps away from regulating and enforcing those regulations. The unregulated derivatives market is still a mess and could very well collapse again. Financial institutions are literally banking on the fact that they are "too big to fail."

I believe that professionals in any industry can take advantage of an average citizen, not because the citizen is dumb, but these companies spend a lot of time and money researching ways to "maximise profit" regardless of the morality of the situation. Car loans, phone plans, cable bills, they screw people with the fine print all the time. Governments are the only means of setting limits on corporate behaviour.

Ah, we've been over this, but "homeownership for every American" was a de facto government sponsored plan.

That, and at the end of the day crashes happen. Always have, always will. Its built into human behaviour. The fact that it happened at the time that it did just makes securitization a convenient scapegoat, but that would be missing the point.

There were not really any derivatives to speak of in 1929. Still blew up!

EDIT:
We've also been over this, but the private sector did its share to push things forward, keep the charade going too. Many stupid and unethical things happened. But at least at the depths a lot of that got wiped out (between losses in stock markets and mass firings on the street). The fact that we're back at all time highs in the SPX is another story.

My only point is that the banks / private sector is not the wholly responsible party, as some (most?) seem to believe.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:59:00 pm by mmret »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 06:13:54 pm »
As I'm reading this I get a call from the back asking if I want a loan for RRSPs.  Always praying on the masses to make more $

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
What would you say to government regulated auto loans?
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 06:25:32 pm »

Baseda on the number of people maxing out credit cards, I humbly suggest that is not true for 70% of people.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 06:45:14 pm »
As I'm reading this I get a call from the back asking if I want a loan for RRSPs.  Always praying on the masses to make more $

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So giving offering you a loan, entirely at your discretion, is preying on you?