Author Topic: The Quick and the Dad: Honda Civic Si HFP  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
The Quick and the Dad: Honda Civic Si HFP
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:28:48 am »

Say hello to the world's angriest Dustbuster.

Read More...

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
Re: The Quick and the Dad: Honda Civic Si HFP
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:11 am »
I don't see the value in the HFP package, I think the regular ol' SI is a better bet.  The seats aren't even different from the normal SI...

'Honda Manual Challenge' - what a great idea, first I've heard of this.  Sometimes spouses will kill each other trying to teach the other, so it's great to encourage someone to get instruction from a 3rd party!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:05:23 am »
I love this car.  I used to have an '08 SI with the 2.0L engine, and it was a hoot.  I also drove the current iteration with the 2.4L, and while I was expecting it to fall flat in the fun department, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it retained much of the character of the original K20 mill.

Now-a-days, if I were looking at a car such as this, would I go for a Civic SI, or a BRZ?  Hmm, I guess it would depend on circumstances.  If I was a family man with another family/road trip suitable vehicle (which I am), I'd probably look at a BRZ.  If I was without kids, only had one vehicle, and needed something to use as an all-around car, I would probably look at the Civic for it's occasional passenger and cargo carrying capacity.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:03 am »
Apart from an avid Honda fan, I can't see anyone going with this one over the Toyobaru twins.

BTW, the pic with an infant car seat just sitting in the back seat without its base may mislead some people about the back seat room of the car.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:58 am »
Apart from an avid Honda fan, I can't see anyone going with this one over the Toyobaru twins.

BTW, the pic with an infant car seat just sitting in the back seat without its base may mislead some people about the back seat room of the car.

You can use many infant car seats without the base.  It's a PITA, IMHO.

The only way I would go with a Civic SI over the Toyobaru twins if I was looking at the sedan.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:25 pm »
I don't see the value in the HFP package, I think the regular ol' SI is a better bet.  The seats aren't even different from the normal SI...

Hmmmm, methinks this is the 3rd Si HFP review in a year? I think the general concensus was that the main value of the HFP was for the tires.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:25:48 pm »

Hmmmm, methinks this is the 3rd Si HFP review in a year? I think the general concensus was that the main value of the HFP was for the tires.

Agreed...and I kinda chuckled with the line that "Honda will easily sell every one of the 400 HFP cars in brings yearly to Canada..."  I'm not sure why Honda would keep sending out the HFP versions of the Civic/Accord for auto reviews, if they actually sell that easily.  Maybe these HFP versions are just a "halo" for the Civic/Accord lines, and thus Honda keeps them in the press fleet?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:33:05 pm »

Having seen a Toyobaru in the snow, I'd say the front-drive Si makes a strong argument in the real, non-Top Gear world (Clarkson's test of the Toyobaru twins is hilarious, of course, and yes he likes them).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

Having seen a Toyobaru in the snow, I'd say the front-drive Si makes a strong argument in the real, non-Top Gear world (Clarkson's test of the Toyobaru twins is hilarious, of course, and yes he likes them).

I guess you meant, "having seen bad drivers behind the wheel of a toyabru in the snow..." Lol FR cars are great in the winter with the right tires and proper driving skills...they dont understeer into snow banks or the cars in the other lane when you turn right...;)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:29:43 pm »
I just don't get why people make such a big deal about learning to drive a standard. My mom taught me on a 74 Austin Marina.  I taught my sister to drive on a 3 on the tree 77 Ford Maverick.   Today's market has an excellent selection of well engineered manuals that are wonderful to drive. 

Give it a try folks, learn to drive again. 

(Today's meaningless rant)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: The Quick and the Dad: Honda Civic Si HFP
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:06 pm »

I guess you meant, "having seen bad drivers behind the wheel of a toyabru in the snow..." Lol FR cars are great in the winter with the right tires and proper driving skills...they dont understeer into snow banks or the cars in the other lane when you turn right...;)

Yep.  Well said.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 12:38:36 am »
Having both fwd and rwd  with similar tires , I know that fwd is easier to drive in winter. It just is.

Not saying rwd can't be used in winter. I can totally daily drive it if needed. But its way easier with fwd.

Its like fwd is pulling the car forward where as the rwd is pushing u sideways.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 02:58:59 am »
Having both fwd and rwd  with similar tires , I know that fwd is easier to drive in winter. It just is.

Not saying rwd can't be used in winter. I can totally daily drive it if needed. But its way easier with fwd.

What is your fwd car and what is your rwd car?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 05:46:08 am »
I just don't get why people make such a big deal about learning to drive a standard. My mom taught me on a 74 Austin Marina.  I taught my sister to drive on a 3 on the tree 77 Ford Maverick.   Today's market has an excellent selection of well engineered manuals that are wonderful to drive. 

Actually the manuals available today in NA may well be generally good but the selection is poor and getting poorer every year.
You know the end is nigh when the standard transmission on BMWs is an automatic with manual the option.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:20:14 am »

Well it's because todays drivers would rather play with a bloody phone than learn how to actually drive. It's sad but true. ::)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »

Actually the manuals available today in NA may well be generally good but the selection is poor and getting poorer every year.
You know the end is nigh when the standard transmission on BMWs is an automatic with manual the option.

I think that just shows BMW realizes its a brand for posers first and drivers second.  Yes they will sell you a drivers car but you have to ask.  Otherwise they assume you are there for the badge. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Re: Re: The Quick and the Dad: Honda Civic Si HFP
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »

What is your fwd car and what is your rwd car?

07 vw rabbit and 01 bmw mthree. Both have pirelli sotto zeros .

I concede though, that with rwd, if u had less power it might be easier to drive in winter.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:44:10 pm »

Believe it or not right out of the box the Civic beat a BRZ on the track in a head to head test.  Also IMO the Honda has the best shift action manual out there.  If I were to get one of these I'd likely rank them this way.  Civic Si sedan > BRZ > FRS > Civic Si coupe.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 11:05:59 pm »

Believe it or not right out of the box the Civic beat a BRZ on the track in a head to head test.  Also IMO the Honda has the best shift action manual out there.  If I were to get one of these I'd likely rank them this way.  Civic Si sedan > BRZ > FRS > Civic Si coupe.

Pretty easy to beat on the track when the Civic is equipped with way better tires.  The FRS/BRZ are running the same Eco tires that are equipped on the Prius.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 05:57:56 am »
It's amazing to me that a poster here would try to imply that rear wheel drive is as good as fwd in the snow.   I believe that small fwd cars caught on as quickly as they did in this country because of the immense advantage fwd has in low traction situations.

The first morning of snow in my Rabbit I almost got into two accidents because I accelerated very quickly and then had to brake.  Well, just like AWD novices, you discover that a huge improvement in acceleration does not equal any improvement in braking or cornering.    Recalibration is necessary.

FWD vs RWD is no contest in snow and ice.

Cheers,
John M.