Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 33064 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2013, 01:13:08 pm »
Why do you always photoshop out her white cane?

:rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline m2

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: M2
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »
The front end looks like the last gen-Focus, which is to say, ugly. I really don't l like the styling direction (or lack of) Toyota has taken with their current models. But it's a boring car for someone who doesn't care about how it looks or how it drives. Will it also fail the current safety tests or did they make adjustments after their other models failed? Sorry, just playing devil's advocate. :)

What's with the massive front overhang. The rear overhang makes sense to enlarge the trunk, but the front looks wierd when viewed from the side. Whatever happened to "wheels at the corner" design?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2013, 11:16:10 pm »
The front end looks like the last gen-Focus, which is to say, ugly. I really don't l like the styling direction (or lack of) Toyota has taken with their current models. But it's a boring car for someone who doesn't care about how it looks or how it drives. Will it also fail the current safety tests or did they make adjustments after their other models failed? Sorry, just playing devil's advocate. :)

What's with the massive front overhang. The rear overhang makes sense to enlarge the trunk, but the front looks wierd when viewed from the side. Whatever happened to "wheels at the corner" design?

It's called front wheel drive.

Offline CanCar

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 911 Carrera S, Volt
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2013, 09:54:31 am »
Umm... For this segment in Canada the Corolla is actually third after the Civic and the Elantra (which was somehow not listed in your list of competitor cars?)... Never mind those pesky details though when you're reporting on more important things like your wife's opinion about the exterior appearance.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
hell, you can buy the just appearance versions of sport packages from many manufacturers... those are the brands that people should lambaste for being liars... at least any person who knows a drop about cars will know that the corolla is NOT a sporty car... whereas a bmw with m badging all over it, you think.. oohhhhh... fast! turns out it just has the "m appearance package"... so some big wheels and minor suspension adjustments... like the audi s-line... or amg sport package...

those to me are worse than a fake sporty toyota.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

glad a few others agreed. having a different look, sporty or whatever, i'm all for... and it has to be designated somehow. but it should never be the same designation as an actual performance variant. whether it's dodge's "r/t", bmw's "m", audi's "s-line"... you shouldn't have to actually pop the hood to know if a guy is going to embarrass you off the line.

as for wife acceptance factor... i think it's important. but it's not like she would choose the car... i'd just give her veto power. why get a car that she absolutely hates? (this is assuming she will maybe occasionally drive it and be a passenger often enough). if it's a toy or something that is just yours, then it's your own decision.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »
why get a car that she absolutely hates? (this is assuming she will maybe occasionally drive it and be a passenger often enough).
this.

it's a lose-lose scenario...if you love it, and she hates it, you'll never hear the end of it...if you hate it (afterwards) and she hates it (always has), you'll never hear the end of it...the same thing happened to me when i bought a gently used Grand Marquis a few cars ago.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2013, 08:29:11 am »
why get a car that she absolutely hates? (this is assuming she will maybe occasionally drive it and be a passenger often enough).
this.

it's a lose-lose scenario...if you love it, and she hates it, you'll never hear the end of it...if you hate it (afterwards) and she hates it (always has), you'll never hear the end of it...the same thing happened to me when i bought a gently used Grand Marquis a few cars ago.

Because it's my car...And buying a car for us car nuts is all about passion. If a car hits all the right notes for me, I'm buying it.

If I never hear the end of it, sounds like the wife doesn't have a clue about my passion for cars and worse...she's a nagging :censor:.

I sure do feel sorry for people with a wife like that.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2013, 09:44:46 am »
We decide individually on the make/model as that's highly personal.  However, we decide mutually on the budget.

Example:  After I sold my business, I wanted to buy an "exotic" car of some sort, and the top of the list was my boyhood object of lust: 911 Turbo.  Having previously owned a 911, I knew some of what I was getting into.  The missus HATES those cars.  It was my car, my decision.  But, the spending of the money is the decision that was made together.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
We decide individually on the make/model as that's highly personal.  However, we decide mutually on the budget.

Example:  After I sold my business, I wanted to buy an "exotic" car of some sort, and the top of the list was my boyhood object of lust: 911 Turbo.  Having previously owned a 911, I knew some of what I was getting into.  The missus HATES those cars.  It was my car, my decision.  But, the spending of the money is the decision that was made together.
this is precisely what i mean.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:59 am »

this is precisely what i mean.

That sure didn't sound the same as what you were saying...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2013, 10:19:19 am »

However, we decide mutually on the budget.

I think that goes without saying and is MUCH different than the "wife acceptance factor" the others were talking about.

For example, it's two different things for her to say "you have $25k to spend on a car" and "you have $25k to spend on a car, but only if I like it".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2013, 11:16:50 am »
The missus does seek my advice regarding reliability ratings, service costs and stuff like that. Then she drives her short list and decides from there.

I could see if you were a couple that was buying an only car. If you both were using it on a regular basis then it would have to be a mutual decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2013, 02:05:06 pm »
this.

Because it's my car...And buying a car for us car nuts is all about passion. If a car hits all the right notes for me, I'm buying it.

If I never hear the end of it, sounds like the wife doesn't have a clue about my passion for cars and worse...she's a nagging :censor:.

I guess it doesn't work this way in your household, but in mine (and I suspect many others) it's not "my car" and "her car", but rather it's "the car I usually drive" and "the car she usually drives."

Which means that we both drive both cars, so why shouldn't we both have a say in the decision?

And what do you do about road trips? Do you take "your" car (which you love and she hates) or "her" car (which she loves and you hate)? Doesn't make for a pleasant holiday either way, IMO.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »
   It all seems a bit daft, when a lowly Yaris or Honda, or a bit larger if needed, will do exactly the same thing...exactly...around here anyway. The technology for a tour de force, is well known and any car company, with backing, can do a similar tour.  I am reminded of the Model runway with models walking down wearing sometimes strange apparel, I wonder who buys those creations.
   It's not uncommon though...these flights of fantasy. Small islands like Gurnsey, with all of 20 miles or so of roadway, with a speed limit of 40mph. (I think)has a following for high speed extreme autos. A golf cart would be fine and dandy. There are towns in the US now who are realising this annomolly and creating golf cart societies. Heck you can drive right up to the first tee. Hmmm...the 19th might be interesting. `Are you driving sir`, naaah Ive had my round.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »
this.

I guess it doesn't work this way in your household, but in mine (and I suspect many others) it's not "my car" and "her car", but rather it's "the car I usually drive" and "the car she usually drives."

Which means that we both drive both cars, so why shouldn't we both have a say in the decision?

And what do you do about road trips? Do you take "your" car (which you love and she hates) or "her" car (which she loves and you hate)? Doesn't make for a pleasant holiday either way, IMO.

It's definitely MY car and HER car in our house. After all, I might only drive her car 2-3 times per year...So it's definitely her car. Therefore she buys what she likes and vice versa.

And as far as road trips go? It hardly matters what car we take when we have two Lexus and a Porsche in the garage. It's certainly no hardship either way. :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2013, 07:15:34 pm »
Yeah, on our house, we have "my" car(s) and "her" cars(s).  Right now the Highlander and Miata are mine and the Corolla and Forester are hers.

The Forester was originally hers, then became mine, and is now hers again.  I almost always drive when we're in the car together (she dislikes driving) but we do have quite a clear "yours" and "mine" when it comes to cars.

Most other stuff too.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2013, 07:31:40 pm »
My wife has no say, never has.  "When are you replacing the windshield. I can't see properly?"   Answer:  "Never, wait till the next car comes".    Same with Boats, ATVs, Sleds purchase.  Knows it's hopeless.   However, I do give her a few days warning.  :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »
it's definitely different when the person is in the car more often. i tend to drive whenever we go somewhere together. so i need to approve of whatever cars we get. she has to sit in the passenger seat and i'd like my wife to be comfortable, so i'll let her give her opinion and i will most likely take it into consideration when getting a car....

with that being said, i have my pacer, which she absolutely hates. hate hate hate... but she "allows" me to keep it/do whatever to it... because she is never in it. i use the quotations because in regard to that type of vehicle (rare use, collector car, sports car, whatever) i will get what i want, whether she approves or not.

i will also admit that even that type of car, i still want it to be a car my wife likes.. after all, i do love cars, but i recognize that cars really are just a way to "present" to the members of the opposite sex... for that reason, i have the morgan... she likes that one.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2013, 08:52:18 pm »
Yeah, on our house, we have "my" car(s) and "her" cars(s).  Right now the Highlander and Miata are mine and the Corolla and Forester are hers.

The Forester was originally hers, then became mine, and is now hers again.  I almost always drive when we're in the car together (she dislikes driving) but we do have quite a clear "yours" and "mine" when it comes to cars.

Most other stuff too.

Never realized you had 4 cars still, I see you mention them, but never all in the same sentence....  Just the two of you?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2013, 09:39:37 pm »
The truck and Mustang are mine, the Jeep is hers, the Mitsu is shared. WAF is definitely something to consider if both parties are using it....I would only intervene in the case she wanted something absolutely detestable.....
Lighten up Francis.....