Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 33055 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »
Tooscoops makes perfect sense.  You know what he's talking about right?  Fake 'M' packages, S-line, and the like... those are the real poseurs.
i happen to like the S-Line and AMG Styling Package personally...i think it's nice to get some of the nice things in the "power models" without having to actually get the power package.

No, its like shoving rolled up socks down your pants....only looks impressive from afar. Im sorry, the C63/M3/RS4 are special models, the guy with the 4 cylinder car with rims and side skirts is just a pretender.
let me clarify with an example.

on previous models of C class, the standard front end was the "old man" looking one, with the hood ornament...if you went with the "AMG Appearance Package", you got the (IMO) better looking front end with the embedded 3 pointed star in the grill.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2013, 04:51:11 pm »
Tooscoops makes perfect sense.  You know what he's talking about right?  Fake 'M' packages, S-line, and the like... those are the real poseurs.
i happen to like the S-Line and AMG Styling Package personally...i think it's nice to get some of the nice things in the "power models" without having to actually get the power package.

No, its like shoving rolled up socks down your pants....only looks impressive from afar. Im sorry, the C63/M3/RS4 are special models, the guy with the 4 cylinder car with rims and side skirts is just a pretender.
let me clarify with an example.

on previous models of C class, the standard front end was the "old man" looking one, with the hood ornament...if you went with the "AMG Appearance Package", you got the (IMO) better looking front end with the embedded 3 pointed star in the grill.

Well the real AMG model has that standard and you get a much better drivetrain  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »
   Might be right about the Focus...with the better grille anyway...but in sedans the Sentra is a clear leader in style IMO. Even over the Mazda 3. At the end of the day style wins and drive trains and toys are much of a muchness. We will be looking for this size of vehicle down the road, as a stand alone and if choosing now the Sentra would be the favourite, except that there is no hatch or wagon. Maybe that aspect will not matter by then.

::) :laugh:

You got to get your eyes checked.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »
Well why don't you just post side elevations from recent tests of Corolla, Sentra and Mazda 3. I think my eyes are fine.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:17 pm »
Well why don't you just post side elevations from recent tests of Corolla, Sentra and Mazda 3. I think my eyes are fine.

sigh.  Pictures don't say it all.  I feel you have to see it in person.  I've seen many of the new Sentra on the street and it isn't all that and neither is the Corolla.  I would say in the class:

Mazda 3 > Honda Civic > Ford Focus > Chevy Cruze > Toyota Corolla > Nissan Sentra > Dodge Dart

Again, that is my opinion.  The Sentra looks too Cartoon like.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:18:26 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »
Wow, forest green, resurrected from the late 90s. They must've found a batch that were supposed to be used for first gen Siennas.

Styling is subjective. I think my smiley faced Mazda 3 is completely awesome.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »
Mazda 3 looks cartoonish

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2013, 06:57:23 pm »
   Might be right about the Focus...with the better grille anyway...but in sedans the Sentra is a clear leader in style IMO. Even over the Mazda 3. At the end of the day style wins and drive trains and toys are much of a muchness. We will be looking for this size of vehicle down the road, as a stand alone and if choosing now the Sentra would be the favourite, except that there is no hatch or wagon. Maybe that aspect will not matter by then.

Agree, Sentra looks really good, the 3 as well, but overall I like what Honda did to the Civic the most.  The Corolla screams cheap, zero character, that thing is so ugly.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2013, 06:59:34 pm »
Wow, forest green, resurrected from the late 90s. They must've found a batch that were supposed to be used for first gen Siennas.

Styling is subjective. I think my smiley faced Mazda 3 is completely awesome.

They must've found a batch that were supposed to be used for first gen Siennas

LOL..old Bell Canada green

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »
Wow, missed this thread that started only yesterday and 5 pages already...nothing like a corolla thread for a good ole slag fest... :bang: ;D

:popcorn:

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:28 pm »
Wow, missed this thread that started only yesterday and 5 pages already...nothing like a corolla thread for a good ole slag fest... :bang: ;D

LOL, yep.  A thread is posted on a Cayman S and it gets 5 responses...........a thread is posted on a Corolla or a Regal and it gets 20 pages.   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »
These cars are much more important and a more challenging to design to a cost point and high sales. So more interest.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2013, 09:54:51 pm »

LOL, yep.  A thread is posted on a Cayman S and it gets 5 responses...........a thread is posted on a Corolla or a Regal and it gets 20 pages.   ;D

You should have seen this place before the darkness came  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 10:12:52 pm »

I won't even read those articles, Porsche's, Jaguars, Range Rovers, only stuff I am interested in.  Only enough hours in the day, would rather bicker in a forum that appeals to the masses....

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
Quote:  "WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was quite high."
W.T.F. ?!

Seriously man, grow some balls.

On another point;  why is it that Corolla LE Eco models have such a lack of color choices?  You can only get white, silver, and grey. Even black is not available.  It reminds me of the old model-T cars;  "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."
Really, that is the biggest turn-off for a lot of buyers = no colors for the new Corolla, unless they go with the 'S' model trim.

I used to consider myself to be a 'Toyota Guy', but with with the latest design ( roof a bit too low, dash a bit too high, no colors other than a mixture of white/silver/grey, ancient engine, and really loud road noise,    I'm either going to buy a USED 2005-8 Corolla, or buy a nice METALIC BLUE Nissan Versa Note for my next car ( I like blue a lot.)

Your I'm-awesome-and-big-and-hairy-and-the-coolest "grow some balls" line is so adorable. Wait till you meet a real human girl.

I've always included WAF in my reviews because it matters to me, and as many guys who read car reviews know, their significant others will insist on having input in the decision or may in fact be the ones driving.

Anyway, good luck on your first date with a girl. It sounds like you might need it. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:15 pm »
I've always included WAF in my reviews because it matters to me, and as many guys who read car reviews know, their significant others will insist on having input in the decision or may in fact be the ones driving.

Anyway, good luck on your first date with a girl. It sounds like you might need it.
QFT.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2013, 06:33:07 am »
Quote:  "WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was quite high."
W.T.F. ?!

Seriously man, grow some balls.

On another point;  why is it that Corolla LE Eco models have such a lack of color choices?  You can only get white, silver, and grey. Even black is not available.  It reminds me of the old model-T cars;  "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."
Really, that is the biggest turn-off for a lot of buyers = no colors for the new Corolla, unless they go with the 'S' model trim.

I used to consider myself to be a 'Toyota Guy', but with with the latest design ( roof a bit too low, dash a bit too high, no colors other than a mixture of white/silver/grey, ancient engine, and really loud road noise,    I'm either going to buy a USED 2005-8 Corolla, or buy a nice METALIC BLUE Nissan Versa Note for my next car ( I like blue a lot.)

Your I'm-awesome-and-big-and-hairy-and-the-coolest "grow some balls" line is so adorable. Wait till you meet a real human girl.

:fiver:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2013, 08:46:12 am »

If it's HER car and she's driving it..she decides on what she drives and what she likes.   

If it's MY car and I'll be driving it, I decide on what I'll be driving. Period.  My decision wouldn't be swayed on a car I loved just because she hated it.  That's why it's MY car.  That's why we have our own cars.

Certainly if this is a single vehicle household and the car will be shared, then for sure the "WAF" counts.

So I'm also in the "grow some balls" camp as it pertains to deciding on YOUR personal car.

And here's a picture of real wife, just in case:

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2013, 09:54:56 am »
Why do you always photoshop out her white cane?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2013, 09:58:32 am »
   It's more a matter of the affinity of using standard shift for us and if one partner will not entertain this feature then at least this aspect is a no go. Having two cars when one partner can only drive one of them reduces the usable versatility by quite a bit. The fact is that in retirement with no work related driving, one car is pretty much all that is required. When it comes to choosing a vehicle we always choose together. The fact is that at the moment new factors have been introduced in driveline choices that confuse the matter and otherwise acceptable vehicles come with un-acceptable (to us) or un-familiar drive lines...dual clutch. It's possible that a CVT will not be a negative but we have always had complete satisfaction with the ordinary (slush box) 3 to 6 speeds. Comments about the alternatives have not been altogether favourable. Still, CVTs are becoming more apparent. It took a long time though...to reach this state...over a half century. Jeesh; I can't believe I just wrote 'half century' and I was looking at iterations of the CVT back then...in the DAF. Yeah...Subarus' were Jowett's back then and the three speed Sturmey/Archer was the fall back mode.