Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 33059 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2013, 08:25:28 pm »
I will take an Audi S8 at 520HP any day ;D Fake is good ;)

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:10 pm »
hell, you can buy the just appearance versions of sport packages from many manufacturers... those are the brands that people should lambaste for being liars... at least any person who knows a drop about cars will know that the corolla is NOT a sporty car... whereas a bmw with m badging all over it, you think.. oohhhhh... fast! turns out it just has the "m appearance package"... so some big wheels and minor suspension adjustments... like the audi s-line... or amg sport package...

those to me are worse than a fake sporty toyota.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Tooscoops makes perfect sense.  You know what he's talking about right?  Fake 'M' packages, S-line, and the like... those are the real poseurs.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »
hell, you can buy the just appearance versions of sport packages from many manufacturers... those are the brands that people should lambaste for being liars... at least any person who knows a drop about cars will know that the corolla is NOT a sporty car... whereas a bmw with m badging all over it, you think.. oohhhhh... fast! turns out it just has the "m appearance package"... so some big wheels and minor suspension adjustments... like the audi s-line... or amg sport package...

Tooscoops makes perfect sense.  You know what he's talking about right?  Fake 'M' packages, S-line, and the like... those are the real poseurs.

You mean like when the WRX got the STi-esque fender flares in 2011?   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »
i happen to like the S-Line and AMG Styling Package personally...i think it's nice to get some of the nice things in the "power models" without having to actually get the power package.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 11:42:23 pm »
i happen to like the S-Line and AMG Styling Package personally...i think it's nice to get some of the nice things in the "power models" without having to actually get the power package.

No, its like shoving rolled up socks down your pants....only looks impressive from afar. Im sorry, the C63/M3/RS4 are special models, the guy with the 4 cylinder car with rims and side skirts is just a pretender.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2013, 01:02:41 am »
There's a BMW 550i with the M badges all over it that i see daily.  :shake:

I see it the same way as I see Freestar Sports or Caravan R/Ts.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2013, 01:06:49 am »
There's a BMW 550i with the M badges all over it that i see daily.  :shake:

I see it the same way as I see Freestar Sports or Caravan R/Ts.

Exachary!!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2013, 01:10:24 am »

:cheers: ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2013, 01:21:13 am »

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2013, 02:16:57 am »

Actually these appearance packages just replace the old way of buying the "M" badge from the dealer to slap on your Bimmer. Oh, and the annoying "fog lights off" switch that most owners had removed at the same time... >:(
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 08:53:10 am »
Quote:  "WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was quite high."
W.T.F. ?!

Seriously man, grow some balls.

On another point;  why is it that Corolla LE Eco models have such a lack of color choices?  You can only get white, silver, and grey. Even black is not available.  It reminds me of the old model-T cars;  "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."
Really, that is the biggest turn-off for a lot of buyers = no colors for the new Corolla, unless they go with the 'S' model trim.

I used to consider myself to be a 'Toyota Guy', but with with the latest design ( roof a bit too low, dash a bit too high, no colors other than a mixture of white/silver/grey, ancient engine, and really loud road noise,    I'm either going to buy a USED 2005-8 Corolla, or buy a nice METALIC BLUE Nissan Versa Note for my next car ( I like blue a lot.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:02:07 am by Waterlooresident »

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 09:05:18 am »
Quote:  "WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was quite high."
W.T.F. ?!

Seriously man, grow some balls.

On another point;  why is it that Corolla LE Eco models have such a lack of color choices?  You can only get white, silver, and grey. Even black is not available.  It reminds me of the old model-T cars;  "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."
Really, that is the biggest turn-off for a lot of buyers = no colors for the new Corolla, unless they go with the 'S' model trim.

The WAF is just another compromise that has to be considered in a vehicle purchase (if you're married). A vehicle is all about compromise - very few vehicles purport to or even come close to being without compromises. In the six figure + range, there may be some that come close, but not for $24,000 (which, by the way, seems expensive for a Corolla, albeit MUCH improved).

Regarding the CVT, I totally agree that they have improved significantly in recent years. My Juke's CVT is beautiful. I can honestly say now that, if a manual was not a choice, I would prefer a well executed CVT to a normal auto.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 10:24:28 am »
Happy wife, happy life.

You mean like when the WRX got the STi-esque fender flares in 2011?   ;D

Subaru is just as guilty!  :popo:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:19 am »
At least you can't get an "STi-Lite" package on the WRX that consists of STi badges, rims, and little else.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 10:38:02 am »
Subaru "GT" or "STi" or such always have the power goods to back up the badges.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2013, 11:18:55 am »
Good Sport/Bad Sport whatever....look back at the photo's in the Sentra report and in my book that is a much better styled car.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »
I still don't really see the objection.  Is anyone truly concerned that the buying public is being duped into believing that the Corolla S is a sports sedan?  They could call it the Corolla "Track Pack" for all I care. 

Some consumers may actually want the looks but not the performance, such as those buying for a teenage driver.  Nothing obviously wrong with that.

"S" on the Corolla is pretty generic and in keeping with other economy cars, so it's not really a big deal to me.

The M/AMG/S "sport appearance" packages I find to be a much bigger issue. Those badges used to mean something very specific.

Northernridge

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
I still don't really see the objection.  Is anyone truly concerned that the buying public is being duped into believing that the Corolla S is a sports sedan?  They could call it the Corolla "Track Pack" for all I care. 

Some consumers may actually want the looks but not the performance, such as those buying for a teenage driver.  Nothing obviously wrong with that.

"S" on the Corolla is pretty generic and in keeping with other economy cars, so it's not really a big deal to me.

The M/AMG/S "sport appearance" packages I find to be a much bigger issue. Those badges used to mean something very specific.

I completely agree. BMW is the worst offender with M badges everywhere on non M cars. As far as I can tell only AMG cars have AMG badges. Although there are AMG appearance packages on the Mercedes option list. My car has the AMG appearance package but no AMG designation anywhere on the car. Not having the E63, I'd be embarrassed if it did.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »
Strange to say. Somehow the previous Corolla exterior design was more of a world car. Now its screams Japanese. Looks sharp but hardly pleasant. Reminds me of Elantra with a twist though. As for the dashboard it is a new tech with look from 80s.
Strange mixture. Maybe it will sell. In Canada at list. Europe and China not. As it was said Ford Focus is the new leader so far.
Bombastic

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:59 pm »
   Might be right about the Focus...with the better grille anyway...but in sedans the Sentra is a clear leader in style IMO. Even over the Mazda 3. At the end of the day style wins and drive trains and toys are much of a muchness. We will be looking for this size of vehicle down the road, as a stand alone and if choosing now the Sentra would be the favourite, except that there is no hatch or wagon. Maybe that aspect will not matter by then.