Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 33054 times)

Northernridge

Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 12:26:28 pm »
I think the last Corolla was a very good car and this one appears to be better…just a plain old GOOD CAR that takes care of people's automotive needs and enables them to get on with their lives.

But it isn't the second coming of Christ. The Corolla hasn't leapt out of it's segment and become something entirely new. It's another good Corolla…and I don't think the last one was broken.

I also think that a $24K Corolla is about 4k too rich. I don't care how good it is, it's a bloody Corolla…which used to mean good, reliable and cheap transportation.

People like to go on about the escalating prices of luxury German cars but at least those buyers can generally afford the luxury they're buying. The real offence in my opinion is at the other end of the spectrum…thinking that a twenty four thousand dollar Corolla is somehow good value is preposterous knowing that it represents what is supposed to be affordable transportation.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 12:30:46 pm »

Ford Focus 1,020,410
Toyota Corolla 872,774
Ford F-Series 785,630
Wuling Zhiguang 768,870 Toyota Camry 729,793
Ford Fiesta 723,130
VW Golf 699,148
Chevrolet Cruze 661,325
Honda Civic 651,159
Honda CR-V 624,982
Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/report-toyota-claims-corolla-is-worlds-top-selling-car-216983/#ixzz2nwLicj2V

In other news.... WTF is a Wuling Zhiguang  ?

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 12:41:23 pm »
Extraordinary car...for my wife! After Toyota "trashes almost everything that sucked" and forgot...the engine. And from here Toyota has the only one thing they never trashed: the engine. The most sold car around the world is Focus and the engine is one of reasons: they have it in many versions including in sport mode as well. Sorry Corolla!

False. The Corolla is the best-selling car in the world, with 1.02 million copies sold.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mkk45ekfi/1-toyotacorolla-201112/
False, the link you show is for Dec 2011. Old data presented as facts? Hmmm.

It was a mistake and I said opps. Get over it.
Sorry, did not see your answer.
Bombastic

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 12:43:23 pm »
Extraordinary car...for my wife! After Toyota "trashes almost everything that sucked" and forgot...the engine. And from here Toyota has the only one thing they never trashed: the engine. The most sold car around the world is Focus and the engine is one of reasons: they have it in many versions including in sport mode as well. Sorry Corolla!

False. The Corolla is the best-selling car in the world, with 1.02 million copies sold.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mkk45ekfi/1-toyotacorolla-201112/
False, the link you show is for Dec 2011. Old data presented as facts? Hmmm.

It was a mistake and I said opps. Get over it.
Sorry, did not see your answer.

:thumbup:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:47 pm »
I also think that a $24K Corolla is about 4k too rich. I don't care how good it is, it's a bloody Corolla…which used to mean good, reliable and cheap transportation.

I agree, and that's why we took a pass on the "S" model.  But, Toyota sells quite a few of that trim, and with the low marginal production cost of the options, they're making a better margin.  Sound business.

My dealer has been moving buckets of the $19K LE model.  That's the one I'd get.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:23 pm »

Has the Corolla ever been truly cheap? As I posted out in another thread, a base Corolla today is less than $1k more than a base Corolla was in 2003.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 01:19:35 pm »
In other news.... WTF is a Wuling Zhiguang  ?

Sweet.
That would look better with some smaller wheels.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »
   This model looks like the previous Ford Focus...the one that nobody liked...so the jellybean replaced it. Truth is I liked the previous Focus and suspect it was ok. Actually this Corolla could be same generation...if you did not know otherwise; the previous Focus having a bit more character to my eye anyway. Nothing wrong with reliable basic transport and independent rear suspension is not a necessity at all. I think that vertical rear wheels are to be preferred and 'twist beam' space saving makes sense. A quiet ride is far more to be preferred than the ability to corner on earholes (presumably on cloverleafs) in my book. Nice to have both...but this if choosing.
   The Northern quote about price rings a bell with me. In fact I could have written his whole comment. (Damned for ever eh.) Frankly I like the Sentra better and am reminded about the report written on that test. And yes it was quiet on the highway. Both vehicles are criticsized here for being underpowered...not true in my book...ample for most. 130 HP was more than enough in the old Sable wagon; so plenty here in a much lighter vehicle. I think I like the Sentra better. Both have CVTs

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:31 pm »
I've never disliked CVTs and really appreciated their ability to drop the RPMs to the minimum level.   The CVT in the Kizashi was the best non-manual transmission I'd ever experienced.

Wow JohnM.  I did not think any of your posts could continue to surprise...but wow.  Early iterations of CVTs were, in my view, justifiably criticized as enjoyment robbing drone makers.  Much turns, I suppose, on what brings you driving pleasure.  You value low RPM economy seemingly above all else.  I value economy but not at the price posed by early CVTs.  Nissan's CVTs have come a long way, as apparently now have Toyota's.

I also think the CVT in the Kizashi was pretty well done. In the same comparo (2013), we had a base Legacy with the CVT and that one was terrible. I also disliked the CVTs in the previous-gen Sentra and Rogue, and in the current Altima. The CVT in the new Accord is impressive, however.

Bottom line: these trannies will have vastly different behavior from one brand to another, even from one application to another. They also don't seem quite bulletproof, as Nissan is in a war of words with their supplier Jatco - seems a lot of Pathfinders are eating their beltboxes.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »
Now, I would like to finally see a manual Corolla S tested. I'll settle for a read on a manual base version if one is accumulating dust in the press fleet.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:53 pm »

Northernridge

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 02:36:50 pm »

I agree, and that's why we took a pass on the "S" model.  But, Toyota sells quite a few of that trim, and with the low marginal production cost of the options, they're making a better margin.  Sound business.

My dealer has been moving buckets of the $19K LE model.  That's the one I'd get.

That makes sense and more along the lines I would recommend to say...my kids – after giving them sh!t for not having a pulse.  :o ;)  kidding. Truthfully, at least one of mine is showing more interest in the technology and low emissions of a Prius than anything else.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 03:16:36 pm »
perfect for its target market, which are people who don't give a damn about cars - if they did, they would buy a Mazda3...the Corolla is a slushbox by every definition of the word. Anemic power, 4 speed auto, it is for doddling around in perfectly reliable vanilla-ness.

these cars exist to remind us just how awesome other cars are - you have to have something as a baseline, after all

as a car enthusiast, I have no interest in even riding in one as a passenger, but then again I am not at all the target market

:iagree:

Author says most improved car, seems he is quite fond of it, maybe he would consider as a commuter car?  If so, then why give it a 3.5?   The styling is not for me, on any trim.  Prefer the Mazda3, Golf, or Cruze...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 03:24:50 pm »
I'm under the impression that 80+% of the population see driving as a necessity and not something that could be fun. They care about fuel economy, reliability, resale value. This is why the Corolla is so successful.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 03:28:29 pm »
I'm under the impression that 80+% of the population see driving as a necessity and not something that could be fun. They care about fuel economy, reliability, resale value. This is why the Corolla is so successful.

Ding ding ding....I dont know why people dont get that. The Mazda3 is probably too exciting and "sporty" for most of these vehicular lemmings. They know that the Corolla will most likely be problem free, efficient and have decent resale value and that to the 80% is absolutely fine.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2013, 04:52:04 pm »
"The Mazda3 is probably too exciting and "sporty" for most of these vehicular lemmings."  Are you calling my GF a rodent??

Actually when shopping in this class (she ended up with a Fit), I took her to the Mazda dealer and had her sit in the 3.  She was there about 2 seconds and got out complaining about the huge number of dials and switches.  High tech appeals to some but is very intimidating for others so add "ease of use" to the Corolla list of reasons to buy.

Also, it is no tin can and it can move when called upon.  More than good enough for most people all of the time and most enthusiasts most of the time.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2013, 05:03:15 pm »
i agree with the review.... unfortunately.

i think it looks pretty good. i understand the draw of the corolla but just would never have even briefly thought of purchasing one... but this doesn't look too bad. i know the s package is just a facelift, but it's a pretty good one.

hell, you can buy the just appearance versions of sport packages from many manufacturers... those are the brands that people should lambaste for being liars... at least any person who knows a drop about cars will know that the corolla is NOT a sporty car... whereas a bmw with m badging all over it, you think.. oohhhhh... fast! turns out it just has the "m appearance package"... so some big wheels and minor suspension adjustments... like the audi s-line... or amg sport package...

those to me are worse than a fake sporty toyota.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2013, 05:13:33 pm »
No style whatsoever, there is actually a semblance to that older Focus.  In this segment Civic all the way for me.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »
hell, you can buy the just appearance versions of sport packages from many manufacturers... those are the brands that people should lambaste for being liars... at least any person who knows a drop about cars will know that the corolla is NOT a sporty car... whereas a bmw with m badging all over it, you think.. oohhhhh... fast! turns out it just has the "m appearance package"... so some big wheels and minor suspension adjustments... like the audi s-line... or amg sport package...

those to me are worse than a fake sporty toyota.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.