Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 33085 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:31:07 am »

Significant exterior improvements coupled with a bigger, better cabin and a new CVT make for an all-new Corolla that is certain to maintain its position as a sales juggernaut in this class.

Read More...

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:13:32 am »
The prior model was so outclassed they had to improve it and it does look good. However I would still rate it last against the competitors listed.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:39:49 am »
"The CVT ... it’s actually a great transmission – period."

Please note this day, December 19, 2013 on which an automotive journalist finally referred to a CVT as downright great.   I've noticed the stigma of CVTs waning somewhat in reviews over the past year.  Testers no longer feel obliged to mercilessly hammer the hapless tranny without cogs.  But this is the first time someone has actually come out and broken the mold by declaring a CVT to be first class.

I've never disliked CVTs and really appreciated their ability to drop the RPMs to the minimum level.   The CVT in the Kizashi was the best non-manual transmission I'd ever experienced.

So maybe on our way to transmissionless EV cars, we can now be free to praise another step forward in the method of passing power to the wheels.  The CVT has arrived, it will be ubiquitous and it is pretty damn good.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:45:45 am »
^^ haha... Well said.

http://youtu.be/LHpdgHTINik

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:04:51 am »
Extraordinary car...for my wife! After Toyota "trashes almost everything that sucked" and forgot...the engine. And from here Toyota has the only one thing they never trashed: the engine. The most sold car around the world is Focus and the engine is one of reasons: they have it in many versions including in sport mode as well. Sorry Corolla!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:07:18 am »
Corolla or Civic and my only choices in this segment. Toyota did an excellent job on this latest version and they fully understand the market they are targeting.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:09:30 am »
Extraordinary car...for my wife! After Toyota "trashes almost everything that sucked" and forgot...the engine. And from here Toyota has the only one thing they never trashed: the engine. The most sold car around the world is Focus and the engine is one of reasons: they have it in many versions including in sport mode as well. Sorry Corolla!

False. The Corolla is the best-selling car in the world, with 1.02 million copies sold.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mkk45ekfi/1-toyotacorolla-201112/

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:17 am »
"The space under the hood is the only place where Toyota appears to have left well enough alone. Toyota kept the 1.8L four-cylinder as it is. Nothing exciting here; 132 hp at 6,000 rpm and 128 lb-ft at 4,400 rpm"

I think this says it all. The "S" in nothing more than a poor marketing ploy to leverage more money out of the consumer by adding a little dressing to the same mix !! May work for some but for everyone else if you want a sportier Corolla like vehicle the Mazda 3 in any format trumps the Corolla in engine and handling for a lower price.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:32:33 am »
I think this says it all. The "S" in nothing more than a poor marketing ploy to leverage more money out of the consumer by adding a little dressing to the same mix !! May work for some but for everyone else if you want a sportier Corolla like vehicle the Mazda 3 in any format trumps the Corolla in engine and handling for a lower price.

You make it sound so sinister.  True, the Corolla lacks an enthusiast appeal.  True, the S package does not do much, if anything, to change this.  But that does not make it some kind of ploy.  The "S" trim level adds some sport oriented content for people who want a sportier Corolla.

Just as you stated "the Corolla lacks an enthusiast appeal" the "S" in all about enthusiastic appeal and is the wrong nomenclature used for the Corolla considering it's inferior and antiquated engine and handling versus many competitors especially the Mazda 3. If a buyer is looking for a A-B commuter car, I have no issues with the Corolla but if they want some sportiness in the mix the Corolla S in little beyond added marketing and fluffy content.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:48 am »
This Corolla does look pretty sharp, especially in that blue paint, and I like the S trim.  For the first time ever, I would take this Corolla over a Civic if those were the only two I could choose from.
The only things I didn't care for much were the vertical dash design and the numb brakes that feel the same as the previous model.

This was the best CVT i've driven, in fact I didn't realize is was a CVT until i looked at the spec sheet

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 09:36:44 am »
  This new Corolla is the perfect car for the majority of Canadians. Unlike people who read this website, they have no desire to drive with any passion. This is in part due to our collective police forces, if caught doing any spirited driving you will be pulled over so fast it would make your head spin. If accelerating from a set of lights briskly you run the risk of getting charged with "street racing".

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 09:42:51 am »
  This new Corolla is the perfect car for the majority of Canadians. Unlike people who read this website, they have no desire to drive with any passion. This is in part due to our collective police forces, if caught doing any spirited driving you will be pulled over so fast it would make your head spin. If accelerating from a set of lights briskly you run the risk of getting charged with "street racing".

Good handling, braking and acceleration are more than just spirited driving. There is a safety advantage with increased handling and braking. It's comforting to know that I can merge onto higher speed traffic when changing lanes with the added power. All this could be had for the same price and lower as the Corolla by other manufacturers. Toyota has to step up to call this an "S" package.

As a point the Corolla "S" is the slowest version of the car. More weight without added power.
"The S trim model got slightly heavier, gaining 25 kilos – it tips the scales at 1,295 kg (2,865 pounds)"

Here is an example on how G.M. uses the letter "S" it's so S that they doubled it. !!http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/ss/2014/road-test.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:50:07 am by redman »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:35 am »

False. The Corolla is the best-selling car in the world, with 1.02 million copies sold.

That was for 2011. For 2012 it was the Focus.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/12/19/the-worlds-most-popular-cars-a-new-champ/
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:30 am »

You make it sound so sinister.  True, the Corolla lacks an enthusiast appeal.  True, the S package does not do much, if anything, to change this.  But that does not make it some kind of ploy.  The "S" trim level adds some sport oriented content for people who want a sportier Corolla.

Just as you stated "the Corolla lacks an enthusiast appeal" the "S" in all about enthusiastic appeal and is the wrong nomenclature used for the Corolla considering it's inferior and antiquated engine and handling versus many competitors especially the Mazda 3. If a buyer is looking for a A-B commuter car, I have no issues with the Corolla but if they want some sportiness in the mix the Corolla S in little beyond added marketing and fluffy content.

Then there is the Elantra GT...vroom vrooom

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 09:47:49 am »

That was for 2011. For 2012 it was the Focus.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/12/19/the-worlds-most-popular-cars-a-new-champ/

Opps...stupid Google.

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:03:47 am »
Basically this car will appeal only to people who no nothing of the competition. Nice to still have the 4 spd auto option HA HA

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:40 am »
I think this is a great car, perfectly aimed at its target market. Sport might be a bit of a stretch, but if it's an upgrade compared to the base it's not a crime to call it that. Would be a great commuter car and then something to hand off to the kids in 8-10 years, when you know it will still be running.

No complaints about the engine either, 99.9% of purchasers, and the people that will be very happy to buy it used 5 years on, will be quite interested in the near-bulletproof reputation than the use of the latest technology to eke out a few more tenths in the km/l race. Might satisfy a lot of other folks if they offered an option, but they seem to know what they're doing well enough.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
I've seen lots of them on the road, and I like it.  It's certainly a step away from "bland" for Toyota and I'm actually surprised given the sales success of the previous vanilla models.  However, they are facing pressure from brands that are offering more dynamic styling and experiencing sales success with it.

The "old" engine is pretty new in terms of Toyota.  Toyota doesn't change out engines every few years.  They build a high quality product that has a lot of investment in engineering and then they exploit it for as long as possible.  The old 3.5L V-6 is a perfect example.  It's still an awesome engine, so why replace it?  The Corolla mill might not be making big power, but for consistent fuel economy and reliability, it's still at the front of the pack.

Toyota builds the best CVTs, period.  While I believe this is a conventional CVT as opposed to the planetary unit in the hybrids, Toyota puts a lot of energy into things like transmissions.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 10:19:29 am »

False, the link you show is for Dec 2011. Old data presented as facts? Hmmm.
Bombastic

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 10:20:15 am »
perfect for its target market, which are people who don't give a damn about cars - if they did, they would buy a Mazda3...the Corolla is a slushbox by every definition of the word. Anemic power, 4 speed auto, it is for doddling around in perfectly reliable vanilla-ness.

these cars exist to remind us just how awesome other cars are - you have to have something as a baseline, after all

as a car enthusiast, I have no interest in even riding in one as a passenger, but then again I am not at all the target market
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.