Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum vs 2014 Audi Q5 TDI Technik  (Read 19462 times)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Nice comparison write up, but what a squandered opportunity! After towing the Volvo out, since the tow is right there, you should've taken another, proper, run at the ruts and see if you could've made it as far as the Audi.

For the same $ I prefer the Volvo too.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Kudos to Volvo for a reasonable freight charge of $1,095 for a vehicle made in Belgium, vs a Rav4 made in Ontario with a freight charge of $1550!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Kudos to Volvo for a reasonable freight charge of $1,095 for a vehicle made in Belgium, vs a Rav4 made in Ontario with a freight charge of $1550!
to be fair, higher freight costs on a RAV4 are to help boost margins chipped away in a very hot and price sensitive/competitive segment...there's already more margin in the $60k bracket, so using the freight charge as a scheme to boost margins from a "low advertised starting price" isn't needed.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
to be fair, higher freight costs on a RAV4 are to help boost margins chipped away in a very hot and price sensitive/competitive segment...there's already more margin in the $60k bracket, so using the freight charge as a scheme to boost margins from a "low advertised starting price" isn't needed.

Can I quote you on that to BMW  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Get what your saying, but the manufacturers charge it across the board on compacts, luxury cars, especially to Canadians, even if it's built in Canada, like the MDX was, because they know we are used to getting screwed, we often pay double the freight of the Americans for a vehicle made here!  But I don't want to derail this thread.  Should be two or three levels of freight.  Made in North America, under $30k, one price, over $30k another price, overseas another price...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Make the monroney sticker price be the on the road price. No room for shifty sales tactics like bloated shipping costs and admin fees.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
I wonder about an overlap, with the XC60, XC70 and the upcoming V60....

I think if you go spec to spec, they're pretty similar in price.  (but it's been a while since i looked)
comes down to if you want the wagon look or the SUV look, i think?

now the V60...  I think the major difference aside from the obvious look will be towing capacity vs the XC70 ---  but I haven't seen any stats yet on the V60

The Subaru comparo is pretty darn good though!

What Subaru comparo ?

someone said --->   Slightly off topic - is there much of a difference between the XC60 and XC70?  I assume the XC60 is a little taller but shorter in length - but what about chassis and powertrain options?  They kinda strike me as premium versions of the Subaru Forester/Outback, respectively - a "true" CUV and a "wagonish" CUV, with a lot of overlap in capabilities, target market, etc.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Make the monroney sticker price be the on the road price. No room for shifty sales tactics like bloated shipping costs and admin fees.

Amen!  I just tried to buy a used BMW earlier today and the dealer was playing games with admin fees and stuff like etching etc  ::) 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)

Amen!  I just tried to buy a used BMW earlier today and the dealer was playing games with admin fees and stuff like etching etc  ::)

I hate when they bring up the admin fees or this fee and that fee.  When I negotiate, I tell them what I want and the all-in (taxes, fees, etc) price that I am willing to pay.  I make it absolutely clear that this is the all-in price, not a penny more for any fees, etc.  They can figure out how they want to allocate their fees based on my all-in price.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon

add to that the option to go pick it up! they pay for the lions share of the trip over there and then ship it back for you... love that they offer that.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I hate when they bring up the admin fees or this fee and that fee.  When I negotiate, I tell them what I want and the all-in (taxes, fees, etc) price that I am willing to pay.  I make it absolutely clear that this is the all-in price, not a penny more for any fees, etc.  They can figure out how they want to allocate their fees based on my all-in price.

Exactly! I don't care if mandatory etching is $15,000 and admin another 10,000  but when I'm negotiating it needs to by all in +HST...period!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

:thumbup: :thumbup: Well said and I do the same.

Northernridge

Way to go Volvo! Nice match up for a comparison. Good job JB.   :thumbup:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Get what your saying, but the manufacturers charge it across the board on compacts, luxury cars, especially to Canadians, even if it's built in Canada, like the MDX was, because they know we are used to getting screwed, we often pay double the freight of the Americans for a vehicle made here!  But I don't want to derail this thread.  Should be two or three levels of freight.  Made in North America, under $30k, one price, over $30k another price, overseas another price...
while reduced freight costs for "Made in North America" would be good, tiered freight costs because of the cost of the vehicle doesn't make sense...a $20,000 car and a $70,000 car cost the same to ship (from/to the same origin/destination).

and i agree, pricing should always be "all-in" (aside from HST or whatever taxes are in your area)...i've said that for years...many years ago, i worked for Bell, and Bell Mobility launched a family of rate plans called "All-In-One"...the plans were competitively priced and simple as the only extra cost was tax...the problem was marketing...our cheapest plans were $30-$35 whereas our competitors advertised plans "Starting at $20/month*"...of course, that little "*" would point to the fine print where you would see about $8 in "fees" tacked on, and our plans included a couple of extras other companies charged for...so, when comparing apples to apples, we were bang on in price, but appeared to be $10-$15/month higher...this is despite numerous advertising campaigns...Bell's hope was that the other companies would follow suit...they didn't, and after about 10 months, the All-In-One plans were dumped.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
while reduced freight costs for "Made in North America" would be good, tiered freight costs because of the cost of the vehicle doesn't make sense...a $20,000 car and a $70,000 car cost the same to ship (from/to the same origin/destination).

and i agree, pricing should always be "all-in" (aside from HST or whatever taxes are in your area)...i've said that for years...many years ago, i worked for Bell, and Bell Mobility launched a family of rate plans called "All-In-One"...the plans were competitively priced and simple as the only extra cost was tax...the problem was marketing...our cheapest plans were $30-$35 whereas our competitors advertised plans "Starting at $20/month*"...of course, that little "*" would point to the fine print where you would see about $8 in "fees" tacked on, and our plans included a couple of extras other companies charged for...so, when comparing apples to apples, we were bang on in price, but appeared to be $10-$15/month higher...this is despite numerous advertising campaigns...Bell's hope was that the other companies would follow suit...they didn't, and after about 10 months, the All-In-One plans were dumped.

I know tiered freight doesn't make sense, only brought it up as an option as you suggested on the lower end vehicles they make less profit.  So while technically two vehicles from Europe should cost the same to ship, one vehicle being 60,000, the other being 25,000, in this highly competitive industry, I believe the more expensive car should have like a 20% bump over the cheaper one.  Just a thought.   Freight costs are one of the major reasons I don't buy new.  For the same cost of freight (average $1500), I can get a vehicle that is 1 year old, with 20k on it, save at least $5000, and add extended warranty (average $1500).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

Exactly. The freight charge is irrelevant. I want to know the all-in price.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L

Exactly. The freight charge is irrelevant. I want to know the all-in price.

They do this in many other countries; I don't know why they can't do this in Canada.

I agree, I'd go with the XC60 as well.  I'm really interested in the next major Q5 re-do, though.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
add to that the option to go pick it up! they pay for the lions share of the trip over there and then ship it back for you... love that they offer that.

Really!?! Is that option still around ~$1,000? You basically get a heavily subsidized trip to Sweden!?!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
from what i remember when i worked there, you lost a lot of the incentives available and had to be a cash purchaser... but on some cars, it was actually just cheaper, plus you got that trip basically paid for. hard to say no to that.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Your're welcome but don't know if it will stop the bitching about the price.  ;D

Personally I think all cars should cost $3,500. Be manual, and diesel, and wagons, and have 500 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque, and RWD, and a heated steering wheel.

And they can.  You just have to wait long enough. (well maybe not the 500hp part unless you want to do that part yourself).

I know someone who just bought a Volvo S60 for $3300.  Very nice car.  It's even a manual but sadly not a wagon. Forgot to ask the year.