Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum vs 2014 Audi Q5 TDI Technik  (Read 19458 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

The Volvo XC60 T6 AWD and Audi's Q5 TDI approach the premium SUV market from different angles.

Read More...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
The best of both worlds IMO would be the Volvo with the TDI drive-train out of the Audi...  ;D  But getting back to reality I agree that the Volvo is the nicer of the two vehicles in question.  It has more room, seems more comfortable and is much much better looking which is a nice feature in itself for a vehicle in this premium class.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
A $70,000 Volvo XC60?  :fall:

You know you're getting old when prices start seeming more and more outrageous.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Now that is were Autos should take every SUV and truck though during a test session! not over a groomed gravel pile  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Pricing: 2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum
Base Price: $47,950
Base Price T6 AWD Platinum: $52,850
Options: Technology Package – $1,500 (Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist, Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake, Pedestrian and Cyclist detection with Full Auto Brake, Lane Departure Warning, Road Sign Information), Blind Spot Information System – $1,000, Active Dual Xenon Headlights with Headlight Washers – $1,000, Polestar Performance chip – $1,495.
A/C Tax: $100
Delivery: $1,095
Price as tested: $69,040

52,850 + 1,500 + 1,000 + 1,000 + 1,495 + 100 + 1,095 = $59,040

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Price as tested: $69,040
52,850 + 1,500 + 1,000 + 1,000 + 1,495 + 100 + 1,095 = $59,040
[/quote]

Good catch. This has been fixed. This Volvo and I really do have a turbulent relationship...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Your're welcome but don't know if it will stop the bitching about the price.  ;D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Your're welcome but don't know if it will stop the bitching about the price.  ;D

Personally I think all cars should cost $3,500. Be manual, and diesel, and wagons, and have 500 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque, and RWD, and a heated steering wheel.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
great write up!

never, ever trust Google Maps
 :stick:

Niagara is the land of clay as you found out.   There are tons of old access roads for farmers which for some reason are shown on google maps as roads........   not so!

from the picture, looks like you guys ended up on an old hydro access road (looking at the line of poles).

Volvo would be my choice as well.  Much, much better looking. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos

Personally I think all cars should cost $3,500. Be manual, and diesel, and wagons, and have 500 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque, and RWD, and a heated steering wheel.
No.   We need cars to be un affordable so that (poor)  people will use the transit that the government is about to raid our wallets for and not buy cars.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
great write up!

Niagara is the land of clay as you found out.   There are tons of old access roads for farmers which for some reason are shown on google maps as roads........   not so!

from the picture, looks like you guys ended up on an old hydro access road (looking at the line of poles).

Hey!  Even on Google Street View it showed it as a simple gravel road!   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
I'd pick the Volvo too. Looks great from all angles and a great powertrain.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
and this is the Volvo to get... skip the R-Design because that suspension is just too harsh and out of character for the Volvo. It's a fine line they have to tread, trying to appear sporty to compete with sporty brands like BMW and Audi, but Volvo does comfort superlatively and need to find a way to get attention and sales without resorting to ham-handed attempts at sports cars like their R-Design models. they should have a Super-C line that offers super-comfort or something like that... i wonder how well that would work...  :think:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Nice write-up about your (mis)adventures, boys! :D

As for the potential difference in off-road ability, what about the stock tires?  I imagine they are both fairly low profile, and poor for those conditions, but maybe the Audi's had a little more aggressive tread?

Slightly off topic - is there much of a difference between the XC60 and XC70?  I assume the XC60 is a little taller but shorter in length - but what about chassis and powertrain options?  They kinda strike me as premium versions of the Subaru Forester/Outback, respectively - a "true" CUV and a "wagonish" CUV, with a lot of overlap in capabilities, target market, etc.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
I thought being from Australia you would be able to drive better than the average joe, being you get better cars and experience..... :rofl2:

Nice article, It would be a toss up for me, haven't driven either, out of my price range, but I like the diesel fuel economy, the torque, the higher tow rating, and don't mind the conservative look of Audi.  On the other hand, like the uniqueness of Volvo, and love the seats, but would never pay extra for the safety gadgets...  Reliability is probably not day and night on these vehicles...  I wonder about an overlap, with the XC60, XC70 and the upcoming V60....

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I wonder about an overlap, with the XC60, XC70 and the upcoming V60....

I think if you go spec to spec, they're pretty similar in price.  (but it's been a while since i looked)
comes down to if you want the wagon look or the SUV look, i think?

now the V60...  I think the major difference aside from the obvious look will be towing capacity vs the XC70 ---  but I haven't seen any stats yet on the V60

The Subaru comparo is pretty darn good though!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
great write up!

Garmin once took me down a road like that (although drier) on PEI as "The most direct route" to Charlottetown.  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I just read that entire article and still have no idea what kind of engine is in either vehicle.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
great write up!

Garmin once took me down a road like that (although drier) on PEI as "The most direct route" to Charlottetown.  ;D

same here.  But somewhere else.  Garmin told me to turn down this road, I looked and it was a dirt path not much bigger than the Matrix with a sign that said "unkept road, use at your own risk"     :rofl2:

Nothing beats a traditional map.  (I actually like to combine the GPS and maps on trips)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
I wonder about an overlap, with the XC60, XC70 and the upcoming V60....

I think if you go spec to spec, they're pretty similar in price.  (but it's been a while since i looked)
comes down to if you want the wagon look or the SUV look, i think?

now the V60...  I think the major difference aside from the obvious look will be towing capacity vs the XC70 ---  but I haven't seen any stats yet on the V60

The Subaru comparo is pretty darn good though!

What Subaru comparo ?