Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 3: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Premium  (Read 24267 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: Long-Term Test Update 3: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Premium
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:10 am »
i wish the 3.3L V6 was either an option in the Sante Fe Sport (5 seater) or perhaps the standard engine in the premium trims...i like the force fed four, but i think in the upper trims, you'd prefer the smoother V6.

agree and maybe they'll eventually do it.  the size of the XL puts it on the outside looking in with my top future vehicle choices.   If the V6 was in the 5 seater it might have gotten itself in the top choices.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »
I watched a MT video about choosing their SUV of the year. The Santa fe got cut in the first round because (among other things) their tester, while fine when new, had developed a bunch of squeaks and rattles by 2500 miles. Any sign of than here?

If there had been, don't you reckon we'd have said so?

Not necessarily.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »
I watched a MT video about choosing their SUV of the year. The Santa fe got cut in the first round because (among other things) their tester, while fine when new, had developed a bunch of squeaks and rattles by 2500 miles. Any sign of than here?

If there had been, don't you reckon we'd have said so?

Not necessarily.

Lol.  Are you also into conspiracy theories?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 09:27:01 am »
   We will have to replace the trusty Caravan sometime and the Santa Fe is an option...sans third row. I am sure that this vehicle has nuances of niceness and ride that the Caravan does not have but, since I do not have any need for the complications of AWD, I keep noticing the great options that the Caravan has that these vehicles do not. I would be sure to miss the sliding doors and full length '4x8 friendly' flat floor and the ride is not too shabby either...especially with the load levelling Nivomat shocks. Size wise...both vehicles are large but I suspect the Caravan is lower. I doubt that the Santa will steer or handle better. OK I can't climb over a stack of SUVs but who cares or wants to. Pretty decent engine too.
   One notices the high price of gas now and remembers that when stepping ashore in mid 60s...the cost of a tank full of gas back then will only provide a gallon now. You really notice the price when you fill your gallon lawnmower/snowblower container. Not thinking much, I was expecting to fork out a toonie. Git art...6 bucks and change.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 12:41:45 pm »
So why replace the "trusty" Caravan if the Santa Fe is missing all the features that minivans have....

Going to be an expensive season for snow removal... Gone through 12 litres already...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 12:52:07 pm »

Going to be an expensive season for snow removal... Gone through 12 litres already...

No problem , gas is write off anyway

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 01:27:54 pm »
One notices the high price of gas now and remembers that when stepping ashore in mid 60s...the cost of a tank full of gas back then will only provide a gallon now. You really notice the price when you fill your gallon lawnmower/snowblower container. Not thinking much, I was expecting to fork out a toonie. Git art...6 bucks and change.
it's all relative though...while gas is more now than it was in the 60s, so are wages...$500/week salary in 1965 would be considered quite healthy...nowadays, not so much.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 01:39:46 pm »
it's all relative though...while gas is more now than it was in the 60s, so are wages...$500/week salary in 1965 would be considered quite healthy...nowadays, not so much.
$800 / week @40 hrs , is min wage in Australia  :o

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2013, 02:09:03 pm »
not quite...minimum wage there is $16.37/hr.

i'm not sure if the disposable income is any better there though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2013, 02:13:04 pm »
not quite...minimum wage there is $16.37/hr.

i'm not sure if the disposable income is any better there though.

I was told on the cruise end of Nov it was $20 by some Aussie
Pay rent for an apartment weekly
Food appear to pricey , $18 for a case of pop

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
they may have just been rounding it up as they weren't sure of the exact number.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/PAY/NATIONAL-MINIMUM-WAGE/pages/default.aspx

AU has been historically high though...the higher wages aren't "free"...they get passed on to the consumers with higher costs.

as i've said before, raising the minimum wages doesn't "fix" anything...getting people to invest in themselves (through a trade, higher education, etc) and have them earn a better wage is what benefits everyone.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2013, 02:25:24 pm »
they may have just been rounding it up as they weren't sure of the exact number.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/PAY/NATIONAL-MINIMUM-WAGE/pages/default.aspx

AU has been historically high though...the higher wages aren't "free"...they get passed on to the consumers with higher costs.

as i've said before, raising the minimum wages doesn't "fix" anything...getting people to invest in themselves (through a trade, higher education, etc) and have them earn a better wage is what benefits everyone.
Just went though that website, I believe the person was working in the bake shop would be $19.75
Still $16 is a lot of cash

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2013, 02:52:24 pm »
Just went though that website, I believe the person was working in the bake shop would be $19.75
Still $16 is a lot of cash
yea...the wages for trades, apprentices and casual workers can go higher...in any event, it is a high minimum wage, but i don't think that really does much to fix "poverty"...all you do is simply raise the "poverty level" to a higher number.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »

Maybe I should register my business.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »

Are you doing under the table ?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »

Are you doing under the table ?

Of course, 4th season under the table...and the clients know, and prefer it that way.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21567072-evidence-mounting-moderate-minimum-wages-can-do-more-good-harm

If employers can push low wages lower than what the market would typically bear, then an increase in minimum wage does more good than harm.
And that's what's happening now with temporary work permits and other measures.

Governments should set a floor for income and all wage brackets above that should be based off of that minimum floor. What happens now is wages are established at the top, with the bottom tier squeezed into abject poverty.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »
You probably happy to know I had google schadenfreude ;D

A little, yes.  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 01:32:10 am »
Governments should set a floor for income and all wage brackets above that should be based off of that minimum floor. What happens now is wages are established at the top, with the bottom tier squeezed into abject poverty.
don't get me wrong, i don't think minimum wage should be $3/hr...my point is that, instead of simply raising the minimum wage, look at ways at getting more people working, in better paying fields...a mix of investment, training, education, etc...that is far more beneficial to our nation than simply paying cashiers at the LCBO $70k/year.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 10:09:01 am »

So we're going to have a nation of well educated, well employed people?  Sounds awesome.  But, who is going to work at McDonalds or Timmies or WalMart?  We have huge numbers of those service jobs and I doubt we can send all those folks into trades or higher education as many of them simply don't have the ability, and the economy can't adjust to having hundreds of thousands of people leaving the retail industry.

Your vision works well on a micro, individual level, but fails on a macro level.

Low minimum wages are hurting the US.  A company like WalMart or McDonalds takes advantage of the high unemployment to pay low wages.  Those two companies in particular are not just scraping by and have to pay people poorly.  They make hundreds of billions in profits.  They could easily raise their wages and not have to pass along one penny to consumers.

The real killer is the costs associated with low minimum wages.  The costs to everyone.  Those folks at WalMart earning $7,25/hr have to rely on government programs like food stamps and income assistance.  Tax payers are providing hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies to massive companies that are hugely profitable in the form of transfer payments to low wage earners.

It is detrimental to the entire nation to have the minimum wage so low that we have people earning less than a subsistence income.

The cost of living is high in Oz and for many reasons, not the minimum wage.  Small population, little manufacturing, little exportation of resources or goods, no vast energy resources, and on and on.