Author Topic: This morning's commute was soooo bad...  (Read 18486 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: This morning's commute was soooo bad...
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2019, 08:52:23 pm »
Why anyone would voluntarily choose to live anywhere in the area of the GTA completely eludes me.  ???

Downtown Toronto is way more LBGT+ friendly than most other places in Canada, for example...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:13 pm »
Why anyone would voluntarily choose to live anywhere in the area of the GTA completely eludes me.  ???
All big cities have their traffic problems. I lived in Ottawa for ~15 years or so. Traffic there was crazy bad given the size of the city - too many retired civil servants. I'm sure Montreal is just as bad although I've not lived there.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2019, 10:35:56 pm »
Ottawa is a big city?

edit: just looked at the wiki. Holy crap Ottawa is north of a million people now? No wonder my taxes are so high...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2019, 12:03:04 am »
Ottawa is a big city?

edit: just looked at the wiki. Holy crap Ottawa is north of a million people now? No wonder my taxes are so high...

Ottawa plus Gatineau is about 1.3 million.  If it weren’t for the provinces going apeshite about the loss of tax base, it would be better to run the NCR like D.C., with one mayor, one city council, one transit system...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:07:19 am by Scaerio »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:44 am »

Because it is the only good sized city in the country and believe it or not, some of us are just city people and like the crowds.
I lived in downtown TO for 30 years and still miss it as a place to live.     

It is expected to grow by another 2-3 million over the next 20 years...some people say.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2019, 05:52:23 am »

Because it is the only good sized city in the country and believe it or not, some of us are just city people and like the crowds.

It is expected to grow by another 2-3 million over the next 20 years...some people say.

IDK....I just find Toronto boring.....flat with miles and miles of nasty urban sprawl. OTOH, I could see myself living in Vancouver if I was to move to a major urban center.

Drive 20-30 out of Vancouver and you're in the mountains or on a beautiful ocean coastline....drive 20-30 minutes out of Toronto and you're in...Mississauga.   ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2019, 06:51:08 am »

IDK....I just find Toronto boring.....flat with miles and miles of nasty urban sprawl. OTOH, I could see myself living in Vancouver if I was to move to a major urban center.

Drive 20-30 out of Vancouver and you're in the mountains or on a beautiful ocean coastline....drive 20-30 minutes out of Toronto and you're in...Mississauga.   ::)

Same goes for Calgary.  You're an hour away from big mountains.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2019, 08:18:38 am »
More lanes would help.  People get frustrated not being able to pass trucks for miles on end and start to do stupid things.

There is so much more traffic on the 401 now, and especially in the summer, that any hiccup causes a chain reaction.

This.  There was a time when driving to visit family in QC was reasonably pleasant, if you picked the right time of day to get on the 401.  Now, I only take mandatory trips to Montreal.  Even driving on the QEW in the daytime on a weekday is a bit sketchy, thanks to the large number of transport trucks on the road.  Claustrophobic, really, especially in wee Miss Peanut.

I've switched to taking the train for most trips to the GTA from Ottawa now. Way more pleasant. Most of the time I don't even need to rent a car, I'll just borrow one from family if it's not an inconvenience.

All big cities have their traffic problems. I lived in Ottawa for ~15 years or so. Traffic there was crazy bad given the size of the city - too many retired civil servants. I'm sure Montreal is just as bad although I've not lived there.
Railton

Ottawa traffic isn't nearly as bad, as long as you can avoid the 417WB between 3 and 6 pm. I just have been lucky enough to go against traffic so far  ;D. LRT should help.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2019, 08:43:26 am »
More lanes would help.  People get frustrated not being able to pass trucks for miles on end and start to do stupid things.

There is so much more traffic on the 401 now, and especially in the summer, that any hiccup causes a chain reaction.

This.  There was a time when driving to visit family in QC was reasonably pleasant, if you picked the right time of day to get on the 401.  Now, I only take mandatory trips to Montreal.  Even driving on the QEW in the daytime on a weekday is a bit sketchy, thanks to the large number of transport trucks on the road.  Claustrophobic, really, especially in wee Miss Peanut.

I've switched to taking the train for most trips to the GTA from Ottawa now. Way more pleasant. Most of the time I don't even need to rent a car, I'll just borrow one from family if it's not an inconvenience.

How long does the train take and how much does it cost? Do the trains have wifi?

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2019, 09:21:00 am »

How long does the train take and how much does it cost? Do the trains have wifi?

Depends on when you book. Can be as low as $80 return if you book early enough. Average I'd say is 100 - $150. Business class is great if the difference is small - it includes booze and food ;D

Trains typically take between 4.5-5.25 hours depending on number of stops.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:18 am »

Depends on when you book. Can be as low as $80 return if you book early enough. Average I'd say is 100 - $150. Business class is great if the difference is small - it includes booze and food ;D

Trains typically take between 4.5-5.25 hours depending on number of stops.

That seems pretty reasonable.

I paid something like 3 Euro to upgrade to first class for our Madrid - Barcelona train recently and it was well worth it but because it was Saturday there was no food service.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2019, 10:13:10 am »

Hallefreakinglujah!! I couldn't imagine living downtown anywhere, I don't care if its Paris, Tokyo, Saskatoon or Toronto....no thank you. Way too people-y for me thanks. The thought of living in a busy downtown in an apartment is about the closest to hell I can think of.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2019, 10:25:12 am »

Hallefreakinglujah!! I couldn't imagine living downtown anywhere, I don't care if its Paris, Tokyo, Saskatoon or Toronto....no thank you. Way too people-y for me thanks. The thought of living in a busy downtown in an apartment is about the closest to hell I can think of.

Different strokes and all that.

Friends of ours just moved to Montreal and live right on Notre Dame West, a ten minute walk from the Bell Centre. They love being walking distance to all sorts of great bars and restaurants, shopping, etc.

If you have to live in or near a big city, you might as well live somewhere where you can take advantage of the big city amenities instead of living the hell that is commuting from some far-flung suburb.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2019, 10:30:52 am »

Friends of ours just moved to Montreal and live right on Notre Dame West, a ten minute walk from the Bell Centre. They love being walking distance to all sorts of great bars and restaurants, shopping, etc.

If you have to live in or near a big city, you might as well live somewhere where you can take advantage of the big city amenities instead of living the hell that is commuting from some far-flung suburb.

Nope, I would rather take the LRT or an uber in the few times a year we go a hockey game/concert rather than have to put up with downtown on a daily basis. Different strokes and all that, but I can see zero upsides to living downtown short of being able to walk to work....that is if you like being accosted by bums.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:09 am »
What a morning. My dog wanted up at 6am so had to deal with that. Went back to sleep. It’s 7:50am, might go make some tea and the commute 10 steps to the fire pit to make a campfire. Tough life this is.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:57 am »

Nope, I would rather take the LRT or an uber in the few times a year we go a hockey game/concert rather than have to put up with downtown on a daily basis. Different strokes and all that, but I can see zero upsides to living downtown short of being able to walk to work....that is if you like being accosted by bums.

Being accosted by bums is more or less a made up problem. Might happen on occasion but on its own is hardly a strong enough disincentive not to live somewhere.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2019, 11:50:37 am »

Being accosted by bums is more or less a made up problem. Might happen on occasion but on its own is hardly a strong enough disincentive not to live somewhere.

I thought you used to live in Winnipeg.  It's a pretty big problem here. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2019, 12:00:24 pm »
When I was a kid.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:55 pm »
Yeah I'm definitely ignoring late trains, which I probably shouldn't with VIA's on-time performance  :rofl2:. I've found similar variance in driving times these days though.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2019, 01:38:43 pm »

The city council, in all its wisdom, stuck some sort of homeless shelter/drop in center right by the new hockey arena. Forget about the constant fights and garbage, but the amount of aggressive bums asking for smokes/money is ridiculous. I couldn't imagine living in any of the "high end" apartment buildings that sprung up all over the place around there.