Author Topic: This morning's commute was soooo bad...  (Read 18495 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: This morning's commute was soooo bad...
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
BMW M3 rear ended a Crosstrek, kidney grill shattered.  Looked like Crosstrek escaped with only a few scratches.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 08:47:51 am »
Transport trucks are getting stuck on some hills. Going to be another crappy day on the roads.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 08:52:14 am »
I was cruising home on the 401 at 115kph, came upon a line of cars going 90kph or so. 

Thought, maybe it's slippery, doesn't look it though, stab brakes, instant anti-lock, yup, black-ice, slowed it down until we got past the county line and they had salted the road.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2019, 03:55:35 pm »
The 401 eastbound was closed today for about 7 hours due to this:

It just re-opened, closed again less than 5 minutes later and about 5 minutes down the road there's a 10 vehicle pileup requiring extrication and at least 2 Ornge airlifts.
They are probably going to temporarily close westbound 401 to allow airlift

update:  Opp reporting at least 10 vehs involved in mvc. At least one deceased, several more still trapped. OPP calling other nearby detachments for additional manpower.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:16:32 pm by blur911 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »
Geez.....wtf.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2019, 04:21:38 pm »
Geez.....wtf.

X2....its Friday people, sort your :censor: out.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2019, 04:29:27 pm »
I drive to Toronto once a week and thankful that I only have to be on the 401/427 from Guelph Line - 427/Dundas. I'm actually shocked there isn't more carnage on this section by the way people drive. So many people are in a hurry to go nowhere.

Last week I noticed 4 cars using the shoulder to pass. No joke.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:51 pm »
I drive to Toronto once a week and thankful that I only have to be on the 401/427 from Guelph Line - 427/Dundas. I'm actually shocked there isn't more carnage on this section by the way people drive. So many people are in a hurry to go nowhere.

Last week I noticed 4 cars using the shoulder to pass. No joke.
I used to drive there once a week.

One morning, I apparently just missed that HUGE pile up by minutes that killed many people in the fog. Of course, my phone wasn't taking calls for whatever reason.

So when I arrived (oblivious) people were hugging me and :censor:.

I think the drive until London is similarly dangerous because it's so boring and you get lulled into complacency

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2019, 04:49:10 pm »

It just re-opened, closed again less than 5 minutes later and about 5 minutes down the road there's a 10 vehicle pileup requiring extrication and at least 2 Ornge airlifts.

update:  Opp reporting at least 10 vehs involved in mvc. At least one deceased, several more still trapped. OPP calling other nearby detachments for additional manpower.
Is that part of this mess
They got to make it 6 lanes out to PQ

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 04:52:18 pm »
The "Drive With Caution" signage is a nice touch. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 04:54:23 pm »

^^Yup, given the amount of semi-trucks that use it all hours of the day. Limit the trucks use to say 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM and they might get away with it 'as is' for a while longer.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 05:00:20 pm »

Having more lanes isn't the answer. They OPP need to put down their radar and start doing enforcement on stupid drivers.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2019, 05:40:36 pm »

Having more lanes isn't the answer. They OPP need to put down their radar and start doing enforcement on stupid drivers.

Basically someone needs to form a dictatorship and get the proper :censor: rail system built STAT! I'm not joking.

Haha. You don't have to tell me, I live in Cambridge. Land of the gravel pits and no trains.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2019, 06:17:49 pm »

More lanes would help.  People get frustrated not being able to pass trucks for miles on end and start to do stupid things.

There is so much more traffic on the 401 now, and especially in the summer, that any hiccup causes a chain reaction.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2019, 06:25:02 pm »
More lanes would help.  People get frustrated not being able to pass trucks for miles on end and start to do stupid things.

There is so much more traffic on the 401 now, and especially in the summer, that any hiccup causes a chain reaction.

This.  There was a time when driving to visit family in QC was reasonably pleasant, if you picked the right time of day to get on the 401.  Now, I only take mandatory trips to Montreal.  Even driving on the QEW in the daytime on a weekday is a bit sketchy, thanks to the large number of transport trucks on the road.  Claustrophobic, really, especially in wee Miss Peanut.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2019, 06:35:14 pm »

This.  There was a time when driving to visit family in QC was reasonably pleasant, if you picked the right time of day to get on the 401.  Now, I only take mandatory trips to Montreal.  Even driving on the QEW in the daytime on a weekday is a bit sketchy, thanks to the large number of transport trucks on the road.  Claustrophobic, really, especially in wee Miss Peanut.

We just did our annual drive to NB, we usually get to Montreal around noon and traffic sucks all the way to Quebec City. 
This year we left at 10pm and drove all night, so much more pleasant and less tiring without traffic.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2019, 06:46:39 pm »

No number of lanes will prevent stupidity. I drive where there are 8-12 lanes and there is still lots stupidity because guess what, they are still impatient and make dumb passes. People just need to calm the :censor: down. Plain and simple.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2019, 07:07:56 pm »

No number of lanes will prevent stupidity. I drive where there are 8-12 lanes and there is still lots stupidity because guess what, they are still impatient and make dumb passes. People just need to calm the :censor: down. Plain and simple.

Yup, stupidity is rampant, especially on a Friday evening.   Now people are driving down the shoulder the wrong way to avoid the traffic jam
https://twitter.com/deediab1/status/1149808080198258693

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2019, 08:36:14 pm »
Why anyone would voluntarily choose to live anywhere in the area of the GTA completely eludes me.  ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »
Why anyone would voluntarily choose to live anywhere in the area of the GTA completely eludes me.  ???
This. And not just because of traffic. :)

I have to say, I wasn't upset when I was released from my contact and bought out from my job in Mississauga/Ottawa. Commuting there once per week was enough for me!

I had another job where I had to commute to Cambridge once a week...that wasn't so bad.