Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel  (Read 21777 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:31:27 am »

The Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI will reward your hip pocket, but not the way you're expecting.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:13 am »
You say "Volkswagen is the only mainstream diesel manufacturer in the North American game". Comparing VW diesel engine cars with others in their respective classes, they are anything but people's...Soon VW will not need Audi as a premium priced brand! And the North American game is well supported by automotive journalism! It is a brainwashing of the mass consumer and building the customer perception!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:04:10 am »
long live wagons

who needs crossovers, bleh
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:22:37 am »
Meanwhile in Europe, where everyone is driving diesel wagons, they probably lust after six-cylinder crossovers and full-size pickup trucks. That’s just the way these things work.

:rofl:

(Also enjoyed the fishstick reference.. Yarr)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:27:11 am »
You say "Volkswagen is the only mainstream diesel manufacturer in the North American game". Comparing VW diesel engine cars with others in their respective classes, they are anything but people's...Soon VW will not need Audi as a premium priced brand! And the North American game is well supported by automotive journalism! It is a brainwashing of the mass consumer and building the customer perception!
I read somewhere that the average 'transaction price' on a new car in Canada is around $30K  so I don't see the problem with this wagon.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:04:19 am »
I read somewhere that the average 'transaction price' on a new car in Canada is around $30K  so I don't see the problem with this wagon.

With car pricing, consumers' cost expectations seem to lag inflation.   Cars cost more than they did in 2003.   The expectation that $25k will buy you decently equipped economy car isn't so true anymore.   

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:12 am »
The diselization of mas vehicles in Europe is at any price range. The cheapest and budget minded cars like Dacia, Daihatsu, Skoda, Hyndai, Seat, Fiat, Kia, Renault, Peugeot and so on, each has diesel at lowest priced sub compacts and compacts as well. And all of them have wagons. VW wagon diesel here is inadequately high priced ...and without direct competition!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:10:03 am »
The diselization of mas vehicles in Europe is at any price range. The cheapest and budget minded cars like Dacia, Daihatsu, Skoda, Hyndai, Seat, Fiat, Kia, Renault, Peugeot and so on, each has diesel at lowest priced sub compacts and compacts as well. And all of them have wagons. VW wagon diesel here is inadequately high priced ...and without direct competition!

that is why it is high priced, and will continue to be so until others jump onboard.

competition is good

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:23:56 am »
With car pricing, consumers' cost expectations seem to lag inflation.   Cars cost more than they did in 2003.   The expectation that $25k will buy you decently equipped economy car isn't so true anymore.

Sure it is. In 2003, economy cars didn't tend to come with leather, navigation, Bluetooth, etc. But you can still get a very nicely equipped compact car for $25k.

A 2003 Corolla was $15,290. A 2014 is $15,995.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:51 am »

The base £9995 ($17241) Fiesta Studio three door with manual is only available with the 1.25L 60ps gasoline engine. To get the diesel you have to move up to the  Fiesta Style, where the three door manual with the 75ps TDCi is £12945 ($22330), a £2950 ($5088) difference.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:03 am »
Diesel is 20 cents more per litre than regular in BC?  That's a huge difference; it's not as bad here in Ontario.

After living with a higher seating position and easier ingress/egress of my MDX, I'd go with a CX-5 in this market.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:37 am »
Good article!  I bought a 2010 Golf Comfortline wagon new.  Since I only put around 15,000 km a year on my vehicle, I decided not to go for the TDI as I would never recover the extra 2,800.00+ tax in five years, especially here in NB where deisel fuel is more expensive year round.   Of course, I expected the resale would be higher on the TDI, but not more than the original price differential, let alone $4,000.00 or even more.  Also, I didn't like the turbo lag or the rough shifting DSG.  So, I'm going to take a bit of a bath when it comes time to trade in a couple of years.  Live and learn!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:53:27 am »
You make some good points regarding a diesel commuter car. There are now great non diesels available for less money that have equal or better F.E.
Diesel cars to me make sense if you're doing mostly long distance highway driving, otherwise other vehicles make for cheaper operation costs.
Diesels cars are also great if your live in a high incline mountain area whereby the added torque would be welcomed. If towing heavy weight, get a truck !!
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 11:02:33 am »
I think the reason why so many people believe cars are too expensive is that wages have not kept up with inflation in the last 20-30 years, so cars are actually more expensive than they used to be in terms of purchasing power.  Add more discretionary spending on technology like internet, iphones and the like, and people have even less money to finance a car.

$35k for a compact wagon is not for me.  Of course I buy all my vehicles used for cash, and never had a car payment.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 11:05:40 am »
After the absolutely horrid heat the Jetta TDI I drove pumped out and my friends with a Golf TDI say the car has no heat around -30 or lower....Id be very sketched out over any fuel economy gains if I cant feel my giblets when its cold.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 11:22:39 am »
What are you talking about? Passat is less expensive than Accord now.
Bombastic

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:00 am »
After the absolutely horrid heat the Jetta TDI I drove pumped out and my friends with a Golf TDI say the car has no heat around -30 or lower....Id be very sketched out over any fuel economy gains if I cant feel my giblets when its cold.

What model years?  As far as I know, recent TDIs all have electric heat to supplement.  As well, what was the mileage on these vehicles?  I have found with most German cars, the thermostat usually needs to be replaced around 100k kms, diesel or not.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:59 am »
You make some good points regarding a diesel commuter car. There are now great non diesels available for less money that have equal or better F.E.
Diesel cars to me make sense if you're doing mostly long distance highway driving, otherwise other vehicles make for cheaper operation costs.
Diesels cars are also great if your live in a high incline mountain area whereby the added torque would be welcomed. If towing heavy weight, get a truck !!

:iagree:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 12:00:12 pm »

What model years?  As far as I know, recent TDIs all have electric heat to supplement.  As well, what was the mileage on these vehicles?  I have found with most German cars, the thermostat usually needs to be replaced around 100k kms, diesel or not.

2005 for the Jetta it was brand new, 2010 or 2011 for Golf and low, low mileage.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »
Good review of a very interesting vehicle for the Canadian market. Wagons, diesels and manuals all being somewhat rare-ish these days. The one thing I would question is the Impreza being 'a little better in the snow'. With all the snow in Southern ON, I can imagine a lot of smug Subaru owners right now.