Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel  (Read 21777 times)

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2013, 07:47:06 pm »
This afternoon, I ran into a fellow who had an identical Prius in the ski parking lot.  I asked him about his mileage and he said the best he'd ever seen was 7.1.  The highest I've ever seen in blizzard conditions has been 6.0.  As I picked my jaw up off the ground he explained that he didn't know anything about the car really (he's had it for 6 years) and that he was a very aggressive driver even in the Toronto context.   He said his speeds on the highway were "very high".

His teenagers then jumped into the act and energetically put forward the term "madman".  The boy was told by his driving license evaluator to "forget everything your father has taught you" and try again in a few months.

I wasn't aware it was possible to flog a Prius to a level of 7.1 lifetime best on a tank.  So I broke down and actually suggested he look at a diesel which might be better for his no-prisoners driving style.  The Golf Wagon TDI would be ideal for him. 

I guess on the very heavy end of the intensity scale, the Golf TDI might just beat the Prius.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
This afternoon, I ran into a fellow who had an identical Prius in the ski parking lot.  I asked him about his mileage and he said the best he'd ever seen was 7.1.  The highest I've ever seen in blizzard conditions has been 6.0.  As I picked my jaw up off the ground he explained that he didn't know anything about the car really (he's had it for 6 years) and that he was a very aggressive driver even in the Toronto context.   He said his speeds on the highway were "very high".

His teenagers then jumped into the act and energetically put forward the term "madman".  The boy was told by his driving license evaluator to "forget everything your father has taught you" and try again in a few months.

I wasn't aware it was possible to flog a Prius to a level of 7.1 lifetime best on a tank.  So I broke down and actually suggested he look at a diesel which might be better for his no-prisoners driving style.  The Golf Wagon TDI would be ideal for him. 

I guess on the very heavy end of the intensity scale, the Golf TDI might just beat the Prius.

Cheers,
John M.

Lol, you should watch the Top Gear episode where they had a Prius go around the test track, with an M3 following it.  The Prius did worse on fuel than the M3.  Of course, the Prius is purpose built and isn't really meant to be flogged all the time.

If he is getting 7.1 flogging it, that's not terrible by any means.