Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 GT  (Read 15065 times)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 GT
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 12:57:21 pm »
I wonder if Hyundai could build a "half price" GT-R?  Maybe an AWD Genesis Coupe with the 429Hp V-8?

they probably could, but i don't think Hyundai is sufficiently serious enough to develop that..

they never really showed sporting aspirations, unlike Honda or even Toyota with its Nascar and F1 effort.

i think though, as a manufacturer, its important to encourage its engineers to really stretch the limits of their cars to be a serious player in the upper end market.

This car would like to have a word with you:

....and its older brother

sorry to revive this (few days ) old thread, but i gotta say this to above pics :
any 3rd rate manufacturers can pay some boutique racehouse to build those cars for them.

rallying is great fun to watch, but it's hardly available to watch easily, nor is it a big factor in purchasing decision in North America.  and let's say that Hyundai wins one of those rallies.   does the one Hyundai actually sells has any parts of the rally car genetics in it?   No.  just some body parts (maybe the frame) at most.

and Hyundai has had real hard time translating any motorsports pedigree, if any exists, into the production cars.
most of their cars get knocked for not being great driving machines and the Genesis Coupe, while i enjoyed driving it, isn't a class leader in anything.  Not even value (mustang V6 ya'all).   it's sort of stuck in a place between G37 coupe and Mustang V8 in value and interior and driving dynamics. 

I applaud Hyundai for having this model, but my opinion stands that Hyundai just isn't serious enough.   if they were, there would be a V8 under the hood of Genesis Coupe.

Rallying did great things for Subaru and Audi.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »
I wonder if Hyundai could build a "half price" GT-R?  Maybe an AWD Genesis Coupe with the 429Hp V-8?

they probably could, but i don't think Hyundai is sufficiently serious enough to develop that..

they never really showed sporting aspirations, unlike Honda or even Toyota with its Nascar and F1 effort.

i think though, as a manufacturer, its important to encourage its engineers to really stretch the limits of their cars to be a serious player in the upper end market.

This car would like to have a word with you:

....and its older brother

sorry to revive this (few days ) old thread, but i gotta say this to above pics :
any 3rd rate manufacturers can pay some boutique racehouse to build those cars for them.

rallying is great fun to watch, but it's hardly available to watch easily, nor is it a big factor in purchasing decision in North America.  and let's say that Hyundai wins one of those rallies.   does the one Hyundai actually sells has any parts of the rally car genetics in it?   No.  just some body parts (maybe the frame) at most.

and Hyundai has had real hard time translating any motorsports pedigree, if any exists, into the production cars.
most of their cars get knocked for not being great driving machines and the Genesis Coupe, while i enjoyed driving it, isn't a class leader in anything.  Not even value (mustang V6 ya'all).   it's sort of stuck in a place between G37 coupe and Mustang V8 in value and interior and driving dynamics. 

I applaud Hyundai for having this model, but my opinion stands that Hyundai just isn't serious enough.   if they were, there would be a V8 under the hood of Genesis Coupe.

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. The Hyundai WRC team is in-house and works very closely with our R&D centres in Germany and Korea.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 04:28:55 pm »
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. The Hyundai WRC team is in-house and works very closely with our R&D centres in Germany and Korea.
save your breath Force.

if Hyundai spent all the time and money and brought out a Porsche 911 Turbo rivaling Genesis R, people would then simply complain "$85k for a Hyundai?!?!?!?...pfft."

honestly, in terms of value for the dollar, you'd likely get better return hiring Lotus engineers to fine tune the suspension and using a "Handling by Lotus" program for the line up...in the long run, it would be far less expensive and something that could be used on the entire line-up...share the cost with Kia for an even better one-two punch.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »
if Hyundai spent all the time and money and brought out a Porsche 911 Turbo rivaling Genesis R, people would then simply complain "$85k for a Hyundai?!?!?!?...pfft."

Yep. Happened to Nissan, after all.