Author Topic: Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant  (Read 9558 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 10:28:07 pm »
Impressive to have the same job for 25 years.  Since I finished college in 87 I've had 8 jobs.  3 layoffs, quit 3 and got fired once.  

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs today.  The right will say job insecurity builds character which it does to a point.  But over the 45 year life span of a worker, continual insecurity is a lousy way to go thru the years.  The self starters and the self employed are a tiny minority and are quite satisfied to hold that space to themselves.  Which leaves the other 99%.

There is a solution to this:  Think Paraguay 

http://fusion.net/leadership/story/marijuana-legalization-law-green-light-uruguay-18060

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »
Impressive to have the same job for 25 years.  Since I finished college in 87 I've had 8 jobs.  3 layoffs, quit 3 and got fired once.  

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs today.  The right will say job insecurity builds character which it does to a point.  But over the 45 year life span of a worker, continual insecurity is a lousy way to go thru the years.  The self starters and the self employed are a tiny minority and are quite satisfied to hold that space to themselves.  Which leaves the other 99%.

http://fusion.net/leadership/story/marijuana-legalization-law-green-light-uruguay-18060

I dunno.  To me being stuck at the same job for decades would be mind numbingly boring.  Stuck in a rut, so afraid that someone younger can do your simple little day to day routine better then you.  No challenge , no effort. 

The R&D company I work for lives on investor money.  People that believe in us and put up big cash.  We succeed, we do well.   Fail and looking for work. 

I like it that way. 

Northernridge

Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 09:57:31 am »
Job security is a myth. Career security...less so.

This is true whether you look in from the left or from the right. Was true before Harper became PM and will be true after he's done. Which will be two elections from now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 10:31:32 am »

This is true whether you look in from the left or from the right. Was true before Harper became PM and will be true after he's done. Which will be two elections from now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

I think Harper may step down  before the end of this term , if the senator bs gets worst 

Northernridge

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 10:49:02 am »

I think Harper may step down  before the end of this term , if the senator bs gets worst

My people tell me only if he thinks he can't win a majority in the next election. Doesn't want to be a minority PM and won't sit as the opposition leader.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 11:39:00 am »

My people tell me only if he thinks he can't win a majority in the next election. Doesn't want to be a minority PM and won't sit as the opposition leader.

You have people  :o

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 01:02:26 pm »

You think he has even a chance of winning the next election?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »

Well seeing as how there arent any other real choices....yes...
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »
Minority government at best for Harper at this point. Current polls have him in opposition.

He's been in power for a long time and the scandals are adding up. It's really difficult to get a third mandate at the best of times.

It hinges on Ontario. BC is lost, as is the Atlantic and Quebec. If Ontario doesn't really turn around economically,  the Tories are done.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk 4

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »

I dunno.  To me being stuck at the same job for decades would be mind numbingly boring.  Stuck in a rut, so afraid that someone younger can do your simple little day to day routine better then you.  No challenge , no effort. 

The R&D company I work for lives on investor money.  People that believe in us and put up big cash.  We succeed, we do well.   Fail and looking for work. 

I like it that way.

I agree, I could never work at the same company for more than a few years. The longest to date has been 5. I now work on projects that typically last 12-18 months. Once they approach an operations phase I am out.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »
If Ontario doesn't really turn around economically

No chance of that.  Presently, Ontario is running on consumer and public debt.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

I'm willing to give the Liberals a try.  I see no reason they wouldn't do better then the Harper dynasty.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »

100% true.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »
It is practically (well actually if Hollande saucy boy gets his way) impossible to get FIRED in France...

and they are doing GREAT <sarcasm alert> for some.................. :light: :banghead: :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 03:45:44 pm »

I'm willing to give the Liberals a try.  I see no reason they wouldn't do better then the Harper dynasty.

I dont like the fact that most voters in Canada, myself included, end up with the dilemma of whos going to be least crook and screw up the country the least.....hardly the whole "best man for the job"....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »

I dont like the fact that most voters in Canada, myself included, end up with the dilemma of whos going to be least crook and screw up the country the least.....hardly the whole "best man for the job"....

Very true.  It's like we're voting for the best out of the worst.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 04:05:30 pm »

Thats what its ending up as.....

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:47 pm »

LOL you should check out BC politics.  Everyone complained about the Liberals and said they were going to vote them out in the last election... and they won another majority.

Reason is the Consevative party here is a trainwreck and the NDP is a puppet party to the unions and special interest groups and everyone knows they would bankrupt the province in one term.  People here don't vote for who they want in, they vote to keep people out and settle for who's left.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »

It would be nice if there was even a party leader to vote for, no matter what baggage of oily old  crooks and timeservers he/she had.    But we have The Boy, Mr Marx and Mr Charisma. Trudeau the Elder was a rotten PM as was Mulroney but the guys did have some charisma and appeal  and...like it or not, they DID STUFF for the national good.   I would have to agree that the combo of Chretien and Martin, economically were a good team.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 05:58:53 pm »
"I would have to agree that the combo of Chretien and Martin, economically were a good team."  They just benefited from what Mulroney had started. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata