Author Topic: Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant  (Read 9554 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:03:46 am »

Required number of cards signed to hold unionization vote, says Dias

Read More...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:25 am »
They’re not going anywhere

It's called Mississippi and Alabama.   MORONS!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:20:32 am »
obviously unions have prevented any big three employees from getting let go.... oh... wait...

but it helped keep their costs in line with th.... oh.... wait.....

well, it made sure only good employees remained on staf....... ahh... wait....

but it definitely prevented plants from closin....... :censor:.... ummm.....

why do they want to unionize again? oh right.. individuals only looking at the small picture and being selfish.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Unifor Aggressively Seeking To Unionize Toyota Canada Plant
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:00 am »
obviously unions have prevented any big three employees from getting let go.... oh... wait...

why do they want to unionize again? oh right.. individuals only looking at the small picture and being selfish.

Agreed, at least in this day and age.

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:49 am »
 :fall: :shake:

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:59:17 am »
if it's true Toyota has worked to pretty much match for the domestic unionized workers get, this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

actually... dump idea period...... 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:49 pm »

Can't wait for the UNIONIZED Rav 2.9 in 2017.......................... :stick: :banghead: :bang: >:D :shuffle: :hurl:
....the thingy on the BACK is for UNION DUES MONIES....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:04:47 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:19:54 pm »

But...but....theyll make a few extra bucks an hour for a few years before Toyota gets fed up and closes the plant down to move it to Mexico.... ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »
FFS. Why do people that have it made want to fack it up.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:05:50 pm »
FFS. Why do people that have it made want to fack it up.

Good question.  I'm think because they think they can get better...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:13:41 pm »
I'm not sure about Cambridge, but there are plenty of shady practices at other plants.

At Honda plants, employees must work on contract prior to getting a full time position. What they have been doing is stretching that out pretty much indefinitely. Contract workers don't get benefits, are easy to get rid of and letting them go doesn't count as a layoff or termination. There is no wage negotiation. You get what you get.

Most of the southern plants in the US in right to work states operate under similar circumstances.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:47 pm »
I'm not sure about Cambridge, but there are plenty of shady practices at other plants.

At Honda plants, employees must work on contract prior to getting a full time position. What they have been doing is stretching that out pretty much indefinitely. Contract workers don't get benefits, are easy to get rid of and letting them go doesn't count as a layoff or termination. There is no wage negotiation. You get what you get.

Most of the southern plants in the US in right to work states operate under similar circumstances.

it can be seen as shady i suppose. but if the employees know this going in and are willing to sign the contract, the wages must be pretty decent, even without benefits. for someone just out of high school or an "unskilled" labourer, i would think having a job that pays well for what you are doing right now outweighs the benefits package.

from what i know, it's not that easy to get a job at toyota, so there must be enough people willing to accept the contract work meaning it must have relatively decent compensation...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 02:25:23 pm »

it can be seen as shady i suppose. but if the employees know this going in and are willing to sign the contract, the wages must be pretty decent, even without benefits. for someone just out of high school or an "unskilled" labourer, i would think having a job that pays well for what you are doing right now outweighs the benefits package.

from what i know, it's not that easy to get a job at toyota, so there must be enough people willing to accept the contract work meaning it must have relatively decent compensation...

Hard to say. I've been told that Toyota pays as well and has similar benefits, but at the same time has lower wage and benefits costs than the Big3 and their dirty unions.

Working contract means never being sure when you could be shown the door. Uncertainty is never good for the economy.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 03:28:43 pm »
Contracts can be abused but for the most part they are a good thing.   It's normally much easier to hired contract then permanent and that gets your foot in the door.   Then it's up to you to be valuable enough so they make you permanent rather then risk losing you to another job. 

I always found it was always easier to convince upper management to hire more people when they are contract then permanent.   An insecure job is a lot better then no job.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »
Contracts can be abused but for the most part they are a good thing.   It's normally much easier to hired contract then permanent and that gets your foot in the door.   Then it's up to you to be valuable enough so they make you permanent rather then risk losing you to another job. 

I always found it was always easier to convince upper management to hire more people when they are contract then permanent.   An insecure job is a lot better then no job.

And syphilis is better than terminal brain cancer.

The point these plants are at, there are no more permanent positions unless someone retires or quits. But they dangle the chance of getting one out there anyway.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »

And syphilis is better than terminal brain cancer.

The point these plants are at, there are no more permanent positions unless someone retires or quits. But they dangle the chance of getting one out there anyway.

Then my point stands.  If there are no available permanent positions then you are not getting hired.  End of story.  Contract means you are hired and Honda and Toyota pay well.   

My last 3 jobs started with contract and 2 became permanent.   The great thing about non union is value eats seniority.  Work hard and they need you. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 05:19:34 pm »
I worked two 3-month contract terms before being hired permanently at my consulting engineering firm. The only sucky thing is that my net income went down 20% with the premium wage I earned while on contract combined with employee portion of benefits to pay for. But it's nice I have very good benefits now and some job stability, and they pay for medical premium which reduces that 20% to 13%.

I had an interview for a city job last year. I had no idea who I had to impress more, the union supervisor or the non-union manager. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

I'll take RRSP matching over pensions anyday. I prefer having control over my retirement savings. I know what I need to contribute to live a modest life beyond 65, have enough for a couple of vacations a year.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 05:23:50 pm »
In a business where output must meet demand a level of labour flexibility is needed. Severance costs can add up if the workforce needs adjusting. This is where contract workers can fill that gap.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »
The great thing about non union is value eats seniority.  Work hard and they need you. 

Yep.  That is true.  Then you get older and they get rid of you because your company has been taken over by a Private Equity Fund and in their eyes, you as a 25 year old dedicated employee, are "used up" because you can't quite move like you did.  Never an easy answer.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 09:55:03 pm »
The great thing about non union is value eats seniority.  Work hard and they need you. 

Yep.  That is true.  Then you get older and they get rid of you because your company has been taken over by a Private Equity Fund and in their eyes, you as a 25 year old dedicated employee, are "used up" because you can't quite move like you did.  Never an easy answer.

Impressive to have the same job for 25 years.  Since I finished college in 87 I've had 8 jobs.  3 layoffs, quit 3 and got fired once.