Author Topic: SPIED: Next Generation Chrysler 200  (Read 15130 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
SPIED: Next Generation Chrysler 200
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:36:55 am »

New mid-size model will foreshadow Chrysler's design future

Read More...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: SPIED: Next Generation Chrysler 200
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:31 am »
i see no tesla... i see a 200 pinched at the ends.

overall, i never hated the 200 design... it was the mechanicals that let the car down. it was lackluster at best.... but for the price, lackluster will do just fine for many drivers.

the new interior, new underpinings, suspension, engines.... the car needs it, but it will be a tough sell to suddenly bump the price to where it will be... we'll get people trading in this gen 200 and getting pocket change back while being expected to fork out a premium for a new version... a version that is so much better... but so little of the improvements will be noted by these buyers.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:01 am »
I agree with tooscoops as I'm also not a fan of the design and felt Chrysler could have done better here.

There is no better site than Allpar for Chrysler insider news.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline PRNDL0L

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Volvo 242 > Olds Cutlass Int > Saturn SL1 > Fusion SEL > Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:28 am »
It does look good. However, it's drenched in Chrysler junk juices.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:46 am »
re: Looks
-tail lights look like the new F-type...a bit of a copy, but obviously nice looking.
-body style looks like an A7...also not a bad thing.
-front end looks like the new Corolla's gaping face - kind of a bad thing.

re: powertrains
-nobody seems thoroughly impressed by them in the Dart or Cherokee, but they're finally competitive, at least.

re: rebates
-they'll come back soon enough when sales fail to impress because of the higher-than-expected dollar figures.

re: size
-the 2013 is 191.7" long...and the new version is LONGER?!  Shyeet, back to the boats.

re: interior
-I am not digging that lower potion with the gear selector, and the screen looks small...but I know they have 7" or 8" UConnects, so that'll probably be fixed.

Should be interesting, and sufficiently different from the Sebring hertiage...finally.

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:29 am »
Hmmm…at least there is only one way to go. I think the current 200 competes for the worst car available in North America dishonours.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »
i just hope the packaging isn't as crazy as the dart... it's a midsized... so as much as i would like a manual... just keep it simple... all auto. keep it to two engines, not three, and make the packages simple and defined.

to a few of the comments...

the current 200 is pretty small for a midsize i feel. it's more like a really big compact. so this new size makes sense considering that the dart is already a big compact. no point in having a big compact and a small midsize. too much overlap of buyers.

incentives.. i wouldn't hold my breath. even with dart sales as low as they are, they are still way off the rest of our cars for rebates... even 13's right now which were priced basically wrong are only a 500 rebate and a small holiday bonus.

interior.. the screen they show is the base one... it will have the 8.4" uconnect in the higher trim and as an add-on option for not too much cash.

the 200 is definitely close to the bottom for new cars... but it's at least priced that way. i'd prefer a sub par car for the cheap than a mid-pack car for a premium. at least now the 200 is the "most affordable mid sized car in canada"... it's a selling point that has worked for them.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:45:29 pm »
Hmmm…at least there is only one way to go. I think the current 200 competes for the worst car available in North America dishonours.

Agreed...just go read the car rental thread  :) Based on this pic its a big step forward in the styling department.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 06:43:57 pm »
That big ugly plastic C Pillar with the giant fake chrome '200' on it is gone?  Huzzah.

Offline Cory X

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »

The Chrysler's I have owned are reliable,much more then Asian brands that are overrated !

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 05:58:50 pm »

The Chrysler's I have owned are reliable,much more then Asian brands that are overrated !

::) Overrated by whom?? Owners, Consumer Reports, person experiences and forums will tell you that Chrysler isnt exactly the most reliable brand.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Cory X

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »
re: Looks
-tail lights look like the new F-type...a bit of a copy, but obviously nice looking.
-body style looks like an A7...also not a bad thing.
-front end looks like the new Corolla's gaping face - kind of a bad thing.

re: powertrains
-nobody seems thoroughly impressed by them in the Dart or Cherokee, but they're finally competitive, at least.

re: rebates
-they'll come back soon enough when sales fail to impress because of the higher-than-expected dollar figures.

re: size
-the 2013 is 191.7" long...and the new version is LONGER?!  Shyeet, back to the boats.

re: interior
-I am not digging that lower potion with the gear selector, and the screen looks small...but I know they have 7" or 8" UConnects, so that'll probably be fixed.

Should be interesting, and sufficiently different from the Sebring hertiage...finally.

The new 200 has alot of styling from the concept 200 in 2009,and alot of Manufacturers took Chrysler's style and used it on their cars before Chrysler released this one,so in essence other brands look like the Chrysler ! Typically other manufacturers copy Chrysler..

Powertrains on the current 200 are praised,the 3.6 V-6 was Wards 10 best engine list for a few years ! The 3.6 beats other Asian/Import/Domestic brands in performance.The 2.4 is good and with the 6 speed auto  it works alot better.

The Cherokee is praised for its new 3.2 V-6 and 9 speed auto !! And people love the Cherokee a quality new Jeep..The Dart has a 4 cyl engine,so it needs a Chrysler V-6 to get real praise.The Dart doesnt get much praise in the performance part but it is equal to a Civic in 0-60 mph ect.. and those Civics are not barn burners nor ever were !

Rebates,they dont have that many,these 200's base price is under $17,000 ! $30,000 for the 200 "S"

If you add the Avenger and 200 its Canada's best selling mid size sedan,both cars are the same just different sheetmetal !!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »
Is that the same "Cherokee" that has had numerous delays and recalls because of that 9spd??

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »
Chrysler has very few things going for it, the Caravan is cheap and does the job well, their heavy duty trucks have a Cummins (a 500,000+engine strapped to a 100,000Km truck), the Grand Cherokee is a great product and is easily as competitive as anything in its class, the Viper, well, its a fecking Viper woot woot  ;D and the Wrangler which is always kind of out in its own category. Chrysler has always been the company that has doen 90% of a vehicle then screwed up the details.....its going to take a long time to get their QA right.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 06:09:19 pm »

:notroll:

Offline Cory X

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 06:13:16 pm »

::) Overrated by whom?? Owners, Consumer Reports, person experiences and forums will tell you that Chrysler isnt exactly the most reliable brand.

Look at Toyota's cover-up with random excelleration.(it is and still is a problem they said its mechanical).Lexus engines fail when new,rusted Truck frames on Tacoma,transmission,engine failures across Toyota's line-up and Consumers continues to praise them..Toyota is far the worst company..

Furthermore,people complain on forums and if you read the complaints most are false,and most you can tell are fake as alot of vital information is wrong/doesnt exist.People get off by making bogus complains,most are done by the same person with multiple names/posts.

Chrysler has the most verified cars with over 1,000,000 miles in the U.S,so that to me sounds like they are reliable,not a toaster testing bised publication.

The way Consumers gets its information is not really accurate,its only by subscribers so you could have 5 Chrysler subscribers and 4 who complained but have 20000 Toyota owners and 7000 complained,so right there it looks like Chrysler is worse by the percentage .Most Chrysler owners dont say anything when their car is good,unlike other brands who brag non stop,even if its a lemon they brag how good it is..

Offline Cory X

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 06:16:13 pm »

Its odd,when the 2007 Sebring came out Journelists praised the car...Then they decided it was time to bash them..Many tests showed it was better than the Camry/Accord !

The 200 is a decent car if you put a Honda or Toyota badge on it,people would praise that car to no end ! As their cars (honda-toyota)are nothing to look at or anything special to drive.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »

Its odd,when the 2007 Sebring came out Journelists praised the car...Then they decided it was time to bash them..Many tests showed it was better than the Camry/Accord !

The 200 is a decent car if you put a Honda or Toyota badge on it,people would praise that car to no end ! As their cars (honda-toyota)are nothing to look at or anything special to drive.

Have you driven a 200?? Have you felt the bloody build quality, plastics, ride, noise.....they are a substandard car....but they are cheaper. Nothing wrong with them if you look at them in a vacuum , but comparatively speaking, they are substandard.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »

Look at Toyota's cover-up with random excelleration.(it is and still is a problem they said its mechanical).Lexus engines fail when new,rusted Truck frames on Tacoma,transmission,engine failures across Toyota's line-up and Consumers continues to praise them..Toyota is far the worst company..

Furthermore,people complain on forums and if you read the complaints most are false,and most you can tell are fake as alot of vital information is wrong/doesnt exist.People get off by making bogus complains,most are done by the same person with multiple names/posts.

Chrysler has the most verified cars with over 1,000,000 miles in the U.S,so that to me sounds like they are reliable,not a toaster testing bised publication.

The way Consumers gets its information is not really accurate,its only by subscribers so you could have 5 Chrysler subscribers and 4 who complained but have 20000 Toyota owners and 7000 complained,so right there it looks like Chrysler is worse by the percentage .Most Chrysler owners dont say anything when their car is good,unlike other brands who brag non stop,even if its a lemon they brag how good it is..

Links please to the supporting evidence or STFU  :popo:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 06:30:45 pm »

Its odd,when the 2007 Sebring came out Journelists praised the car...Then they decided it was time to bash them..Many tests showed it was better than the Camry/Accord
!

Can we please have some supporting  evidence to back up this claim  :popo: