Author Topic: Honda Plans To Introduce New Ridgeline In Two Years  (Read 13366 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Honda Plans To Introduce New Ridgeline In Two Years
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 02:43:45 pm »
Trending up tho  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 02:52:15 pm »
IMO, the problem is that it's super long in the tooth.

Does it really need it though??
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 02:56:10 pm »
I get a kick out of how long in the tooth it is (old) and yet how high CR rates it…more than one point of view on this issue.

I'm also a bit surprised Honda is taking another kick at the cat…except that truck sales are booming and GM is making another mid-sizer.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 02:59:16 pm »
Need what? What?

Sorry...total brain fart...what I meant to get out was, does it really need updating, been in a 2013 Touring and it seemed modern enough to me. Of course I really liked its simple and straightforward dash and controls.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:41 pm »
Better styling would be great. I could never get my head around the Japanese wierdness of the design. It's not like unibody means it has to be 'different'.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 03:52:32 pm »
I just want a truck with a lower bed that isn't a base model Tacoma. Ram -- build one on the 300 platform and call it the Dakota, please.

The step in the F150 and Superdutys make the bed very accessible...... ;D

;D They should make the pencil-neck designers push a 4 stroke dirtbike into the bed with a 6' ramp. ::) See how that goes. My Ridgeline is doable with no step or help but barely. My previous Dakota Quad was better.

THIS. Owned a Ranger and it was an alright height for loading sportbikes. But, the newer trucks make loading sportbikes a pain. Both the Ram (with airbag suspension, lowered) and Sierra are too tall, causing the bikes to bottom out where the tailgate meets a 6-foot ramp.

Something the height of a Chevrolet S10 Xtreme or Tacoma X-Runner, preferably with a V8, would be awesome.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »
Trending up tho  :)

Maybe - or it could be, as stock analysts would call it, a dead cat bounce!  ;)

It's nice to see an automaker not just blame "market forces"  for declining sales of their vehicle that hasn't been updated in a decade, as a pretext for canning the vehicle (see FJ Cruiser, Ranger, and maybe Frontier & Xterra).  "The market doesn't really want these types of vehicle any more" as opposed to "the market doesn't want this particular outdated vehicle, because it has moved on to better, more current offerings".  The former (if true) is a good reason to discontinue a product.  The latter is a good reason to improve it!  By updating the Ridgeline, Honda appears to accept the latter statement, and good on 'em.  I just hope the ROI pays off for them...

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 08:56:01 am »
In my humble opinion, a vehicle such as the Ridgeline has the potential to be a PERFECT vehicle. The right size for 90% of families, capability to haul and carry FAR exceeding any SUV, and a comfort level competitive with anything on the road for the price. I don't understand why it's constantly being compared with 1/2 ton trucks and being rated on towing capability, etc.

Honda has an opportunity now to address the shortcomings of the current generation, the main one being fuel economy. Horrendous, even compared to some full sized trucks. Honda did not even see fit to offer the Accord's cylinder cut off system on the Ridgeline - that would have helped. Might I suggest to Honda that a diesel should be considered (who am I kidding?). By 2015 or 2016, the diesel option will be closer to mainstream and will be largely accepted and embraced by the public. This will be thanks in no small part to Chrysler/Fiat (with that fantastic 3.0L Motori RAM engine option) and GM with their impressive Cruze offering and (hopefully) the diesel option on their next generation mid sized trucks.

The trick for Honda is to get the fuel economy in line with or above comparable SUVs. Whether they utilize advanced engine management systems, diesel, hybrid, or a combination of all, this will determine if the Ridgeline remains on the periphery of sales success or hits that home run. If they get it right (and this includes pricing) I may be waiting in line.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:22 am »
For the capability a person gives up, they don't see a corresponding fuel economy benefit, especially with the current pickup powertrains. That and price have been the big issues with the Ridgeline.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 09:29:40 am »
For the capability a person gives up, they don't see a corresponding fuel economy benefit, especially with the current pickup powertrains. That and price have been the big issues with the Ridgeline.

There's that comparison again with full sized trucks. Comparing it with a comparable sized SUV, it comes out VERY favourably, especially with the "U" part of the "SUV". I agree, however, fuel economy is ridiculous.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 09:32:10 am »

There's that comparison again with full sized trucks. Comparing it with a comparable sized SUV, it comes out VERY favourably, especially with the "U" part of the "SUV". I agree, however, fuel economy is ridiculous.

If it's got a bed, I think most people are going to compare it to other vehicles with beds. If you don't need a bed, why get a Ridgeline when the Pilot is in the same showroom?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 09:36:16 am »
I'd be willing to live with some of those issues as a traditional truck is way too big for me. Same reason I like the new Colorado and it faces the same line of criticism with "why not just buy a cheap full-size."

Seriously, even if the price was the same, I can't live with a full-size truck.

I understand that completely. I like the old Toyota Pickup and Ford Ranger for size. Even the 1980-90s square F150s were much smaller than the current one. I'm only thinking of the typical pickup buyer.

Last month in the US, where Honda moved 1,350 Ridgelines, Ford moved 65,501 F-series.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:22 am »
If Honda knows their target market, they'll be focusing on getting sales from the 406,000 SUV/Xover sales rather than trying to lure pickup buyers to purchase a totally different type of vehicle. An SUV owner will give up nothing (except fuel economy for the current generation) by switching to a Ridgeline, whereas a pickup owner will give up carrying capability. I look at the Ridgeline design the same as I look at a hatchback - why would I buy a sedan when a comparable hatch is SO much more useful?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:25 am »
I'm pretty excited about this.

if you go back to the origin of this truck, Honda did a few years of research.
This was never meant to go against the 1/2 ton group.   This was designed to be the urban truck.
A "truck" for everyone that wants the utility without the size of the bigger trucks.

My dad has one and picked it specifically because of it's drive and comfort.
For him it's perfect for work.  It can haul all his tools and crap.  Dump runs, home depot runs and he can easily tow a utility trailer (has two - covered and non-covered) for the Harleys.

While it can be said to be outdated, nothing today still matches it's utility.  From the millions of storage space inside to the in-bed trunk.   A big selling feature for my dad (previous 1/2 ton owner) is the in-bed spare, instead of being under the truck.   

I've taken it many times and both my wife and I love the drive.   
When I long declared my love for this truck, my friend made fun of it in the typical "it's not a truck" attitude.  Two years later he cross shopped a Tacoma and Ridgeline and took the Ridge. (eating his words)

I prefer the look of the Taco but the utility of the Ridge can't be beat. 
With a regular looking box it would sell much more.   Only reason I'm on the fence is the 5ft box.
Yes you can throw the bikes over the tailgate but when travelling they've gotta be locked up.   With bikes in the back, it'll also take up pretty much all the space.  That's one reason I wanted a 6ft box.

I'm really hoping the only thing they do is:

1) improve fuel economy
2) improve price
3) improve style

don't:
1) make it bigger and try to compete with 1/2 ton (they will fail)
2) don't change the way it handles and rides

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 10:09:14 am »
Well said, blotter. I hope Honda is listening.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:27 am »
If Honda knows their target market, they'll be focusing on getting sales from the 406,000 SUV/Xover sales rather than trying to lure pickup buyers to purchase a totally different type of vehicle. An SUV owner will give up nothing (except fuel economy for the current generation) by switching to a Ridgeline, whereas a pickup owner will give up carrying capability. I look at the Ridgeline design the same as I look at a hatchback - why would I buy a sedan when a comparable hatch is SO much more useful?

They're giving up the third row of seats and secure, heated cargo area, both things mid-size SUV buyers want, even if they only use them occasionally.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:43 am »

They're giving up the third row of seats and secure, heated cargo area, both things mid-size SUV buyers want, even if they only use them occasionally.

Granted, most families of 6+ may not consider the Ridgeline as an alternative. Styling and SUV specific creature comforts may also play a role. Women, I'm sure, have significant input into a buying decision for this class of vehicle. Honda would do well by avoiding the Ridgeline/truck comparison. If buyers and their spouses can be sold on utility, comfort, fuel economy (hopefully), and price, then it will have sales success. I honestly cannot think of a more useful (family) vehicle on the road today (with the caveat that fuel economy needs to improve by at least 30%)

Northernridge

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:28 am »
Very good comments in this thread. I'm skeptical Honda can win enough customers from the SUV segment. As Sir O points out, the Ridgeline has a box and that makes it a pickup. The only reason to buy a Ridge over a S/CUV is for the utility of the box so it really does compete with trucks.

We have a half ton and a Ridgeline and (except for the shortcoming noted above) the Honda is obviously the superior vehicle to drive day-to-day, and it's much better made.

If I had to have one vehicle to meet all of my needs (a thought that makes me shudder), the next Ridgeline would be a contender.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:56 am »

With a regular looking box it would sell much more.   Only reason I'm on the fence is the 5ft box.
Yes you can throw the bikes over the tailgate but when travelling they've gotta be locked up.   With bikes in the back, it'll also take up pretty much all the space.  That's one reason I wanted a 6ft box.

You nailed the Ridgeline weaknesses and strengths. However don't sweat the 5' box. I went on a 2 week family road trip and itfit all our gear in the lockable trunk and the storage area under the rear seat. The only thing that rode in the bed was our cooler. For securing bikes I have a padlocked 1" thick cable that runs through all the frames and tie down cleats.  Years ago dirtbiking we had someone lift a dirtbike (250 2 stroke) out of the truck bed while we were eating in Dennys :o. If  storage is still a problem Honda sells a tailgate extender. The Ridgelione looks like it was designed to haul a couple of dirtbikes for a weekend trip. It has just enough space for two bikes, camping gear, tools and riding gear...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:35:08 am by ktm525 »

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 11:56:56 am »
we're paranoid.  We've had bikes stolen off a hitch rack that had a thule cable lock.
The car was parked in front on the parking lot attendant and we only left for 30 minutes.
I figure the SOB made a call and someone came with a cargo van, cut all the locks and take the bikes.

That's why I like fork mount setups, although I'd really like to rig something up so we don't need to remove the front wheels.  I know at the end of the day, if someone wants the bikes they'll take them.