Author Topic: Test Drive: 2009 BMW X6 xDrive50i  (Read 12822 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2009 BMW X6 xDrive50i
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
What if, and I know this is a stretch but bear with me, the people that buy this thing buy it simply because they like it and they can afford it? Tough to even imagine, I know.

Hardly tough to imagine.

In fact the three types of people I described implicitly do like the car (I even said so: "I think there are only three types of people who like this car").

And for the ones who bought it, most of them can indeed probably afford it and I never made any claim to the contrary. In fact there is an assumption of wealth in all three of my descriptions (yuppies in the first case, explicit mention of money in the second, and the image conjured up by the third lends itself to a sugar daddy).

Really, the bottom line is that my descriptions are not at odds with yours in the least - on the contrary: my descriptions reinforce yours. Mine are just more much more detailed.

Your analysis is weak. You are posting without thinking.

You're ridiculous, and your sense of sarcasm seems to be weak as well. All of your descriptions are merely assumptions about who you think buys the X6 but they are hardly rooted in reality. This is the same crap that appears in every thread about a luxury crossover vehicle. A lot of the posters here don't like those vehicles and make up stuff about the buyers because they find it difficult to comprehend why people buy these vehicles.

My point must have gone far over your head if you think your descriptions reinforce it. Why does the X6 buyer have to be someone who only cares that 6 > 5, or have excessive testosterone and lack taste, or be some bimbo with a sugar daddy? I know plenty of people who like the X6 and none fit your descriptions. I also know people who don't like it. It's a polarizing vehicle, and if you don't understand the appeal it doesn't mean that the people buying it have some sort of fundamental flaw about them.

Good thing I have my flame suit on!

Who said those people have fundamental flaws? I mean everyone has a flaw or two, but I'm not judging here.

I simply enumerated the types of people who I believe represent the vast majority of X6 buyers. X6 buyers almost certainly satisfy the dual criteria of liking the car and being able to afford it. Is there some issue with that? :)

Regarding these people you supposedly know whom do not fit the descriptions I made, I would suggest two things:
1. perhaps you could look for commonalities among them, patterns, reasons why they might like the X6 aside from "they just do"
2. perhaps you could look more closely and more critically at them - you might find that certain elements I highlighted do indeed apply

Tell me, please, good sir, since it is such a polarizing vehicle, what kinds of people occupy the positive end of the pole? :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:04 pm »
I think it looks awesome, and it drives pretty damn well for a tank.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:43 am »
I remember seeing it the year it came out at the Toronto Auto Show and thinking what a stupid vehicle.

the hatch is absolutely useless. 

It's kinda like the Honda Crosstour on silts and steroids!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:31 am »
Good thing I have my flame suit on!

Who said those people have fundamental flaws? I mean everyone has a flaw or two, but I'm not judging here.

Are you telling me there's no judgement when you say someone is "devoid of taste" or that they are so shallow that they chose the car because 6 > 5?

I simply enumerated the types of people who I believe represent the vast majority of X6 buyers. X6 buyers almost certainly satisfy the dual criteria of liking the car and being able to afford it. Is there some issue with that? :)

Is this belief based on any evidence whatsoever?

Regarding these people you supposedly know whom do not fit the descriptions I made, I would suggest two things:
1. perhaps you could look for commonalities among them, patterns, reasons why they might like the X6 aside from "they just do"
2. perhaps you could look more closely and more critically at them - you might find that certain elements I highlighted do indeed apply

1. Not really seeing any commonalities. The only common thing is that they like the styling of the vehicle.
2. Nope, they don't.

Tell me, please, good sir, since it is such a polarizing vehicle, what kinds of people occupy the positive end of the pole? :)

Why does there have to be a type of person? It's like anything else that people might like or dislike in a purely subjective fashion.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:58 am »
I'll chime in because I think people's sense of reality and/or society is poor at best.

1) I do think this vehicle is silly.

2) To assume there are only three categories of buyers who would buy this based on one's own constructions of those buyers is a fallacy. I work with an owner of one of these vehicles. He's a simple, down to earth guy in construction with some money to spend. When I asked him why he bought it his response was "I just thought it was cool...... I know I should have bough an X5 but I liked this more."

No cost benefit, no little dog, no big ego, no trophy wife, he just liked it. Shocking, I know.

Thank you.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:35 am »
not everyone needs a practical vehicle.

good step-in height, excellent build quality, feeling of security, good power and handling and even decently comfortable. Not sure why many are so quick to criticize owners of these vehicles - likely without actually knowing any.

Not everyone wants a Miata, Corvette, Prius or HD pickup truck.

mmret, you claim to be wearing a flame suit, but to me it seems like you're the one brandishing the flamethrower... You say you're not judging, but you're accusing anyone of buying one, with only your assumptions of their motivations, of being devoid of taste, in excess of ego, and yuppies.

If i had the money, you can bet there would be a couple of vehicles in the driveway that fit your assumptions - cars purchased because they are awesome, but with no particular justification from a reasoned observer's perspective. An X6M might just be in the running (after the 911, corvette, RR Sport, S-Class, and perhaps a couple others...)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 09:34:28 am »

good step-in height, excellent build quality, feeling of security, good power and handling and even decently comfortable.

If i had the money, you can bet there would be a couple of vehicles in the driveway that fit your assumptions - cars purchased because they are awesome, but with no particular justification from a reasoned observer's perspective. An X6M might just be in the running (after the 911, corvette, RR Sport, S-Class, and perhaps a couple others...)
Aesthetics are subjective, sure, but really, people look at an X6 and say "Day-um… that's a really sexy car that justifies its useless cargo hold!"  ?  OliverD, do you?  Yarkony? 

Hey, I get it that some people clearly like it and have the means to buy it, good for them.  But I shall continuously recoil in horror when I see them and then snicker about what an asinine purchase they've made when they could've at least had an X5. 

Why on earth, Yarkony, would an X6M "be in the running" after your lottery win?  What redeeming qualities does this monstrosity have to justify it over an X5M or E63 wagon?  You have a purse dog, don't you?   ;D

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:18 am »

good step-in height, excellent build quality, feeling of security, good power and handling and even decently comfortable. Not sure why many are so quick to criticize owners of these vehicles - likely without actually knowing any.

Not everyone wants a Miata, Corvette, Prius or HD pickup truck.

mmret, you claim to be wearing a flame suit, but to me it seems like you're the one brandishing the flamethrower... You say you're not judging, but you're accusing anyone of buying one, with only your assumptions of their motivations, of being devoid of taste, in excess of ego, and yuppies.

:fiver: well said.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 09:48:03 am »
I'm a value buyer. I'm also function over form. I think a lot of people are similar in that respect. The X6 is the antithesis of everything I'm looking for.

With low sales to begin with and declining from there, it's only a matter of time before they pull the plug.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:45 am »
Regarding those sales figures:  The X6 is also pretty long in the tooth.  I'd expect things to pick up with a refresh.

Either way, for my tastes, I think the X6 is awful.  I would never choose it over an X5.   But I'd also never buy a small CUV over a wagon.  Yet I see thousands of those mini CUVs clogging the roadways....

People buy what they want to buy.  Car purchases are primarily emotional decisions.  Sure practicality comes into play for buyers with some limiting criteria (big family, boat to tow, want AWD, want to sit high, can't drive a manual, etc...), but in general we're buying the car that we just like best.

There aren't a ton of people who desire what the X6 offers (see sales figures), but those who do aren't necessarily ego maniacs, yuppies or a$$holes in general.  They just have vastly different taste in cars than me.

At this price point, I'd take a loaded E350 Wagon and not look back.  But I bet MB sells less of those than BMW does X6s.   Does that make me a yuppie ego maniac?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:44 am »
Aesthetics are subjective, sure, but really, people look at an X6 and say "Day-um… that's a really sexy car that justifies its useless cargo hold!"  ?  OliverD, do you?  Yarkony?

Yes, I do.

FWIW, the X6 has more cargo space than the Mercedes GLK that is the subject of a circle-jerk in this forum now that it offers a diesel motor in base form.

Why on earth, Yarkony, would an X6M "be in the running" after your lottery win?  What redeeming qualities does this monstrosity have to justify it over an X5M or E63 wagon?  You have a purse dog, don't you?   ;D

I think it looks better than the X5. Ultimately, I'd take the E63 wagon but I wouldn't fault someone for choosing the X6.

It amuses me that on a forum full of supposed car enthusiasts any vehicle purchase needs to be justified.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 11:01:45 am »
With low sales to begin with and declining from there, it's only a matter of time before they pull the plug.

Not a chance. With an X4 on the way and Audi preparing a Q6, we will certainly see a second-generation X6.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 11:22:32 am »

Not a chance. With an X4 on the way and Audi preparing a Q6, we will certainly see a second-generation X6.

BMW is going to slit their own throats with development costs of low volume variants if they aren't careful. The 3GT and 5GT, the X4 and X6, on top of the X3 and X5. They're answering a lot of questions people haven't been asking.

Northernridge

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 11:24:28 am »

BMW is going to slit their own throats with development costs of low volume variants if they aren't careful. The 3GT and 5GT, the X4 and X6, on top of the X3 and X5. They're answering a lot of questions people haven't been asking.

I agree, model consolidation is on the way. These are just cycles though…we may not be through the model proliferation phase yet. I think a version of the same story applies to MB and Audi too.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 11:33:12 am »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The development costs for these vehicles are incremental. The platforms and mechanicals are already there. 5 GT may not live on, but the success of the X6 means that an X4 is also likely to sell well.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:46 am »
So is the X4 going to be like an RR Evoque?  Specifically are they going to do a 2 door considering their odd/even numbered scheme for sedans/coupe variants?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 11:44:13 am »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The development costs for these vehicles are incremental. The platforms and mechanicals are already there. 5 GT may not live on, but the success of the X6 means that an X4 is also likely to sell well.

Success? Not in the US. In it's best year, BMW sold 6,749 X6, compared to 44,445 X5. Even the slow selling 6 series tops 8k most years.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 11:56:51 am »

Success? Not in the US. In it's best year, BMW sold 6,749 X6, compared to 44,445 X5. Even the slow selling 6 series tops 8k most years.

Globally, the X6 has exceeded its sales expectations. I think it's obvious that BMW wouldn't expect it to sell nearly as well as the X5 but that doesn't mean it isn't a success.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:18 am »
So is the X4 going to be like an RR Evoque?  Specifically are they going to do a 2 door considering their odd/even numbered scheme for sedans/coupe variants?

Even numbers also apply to four door coupe-ish vehicles (X6, 6 Gran Coupe). Don't think they are planning a two door X4.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 12:00:38 pm »

Globally, the X6 has exceeded its sales expectations. I think it's obvious that BMW wouldn't expect it to sell nearly as well as the X5 but that doesn't mean it isn't a success.

Lets just call it a failure in North America then. In which case, they should pull it from the market here.