Author Topic: The best winter vehicle (on road use)  (Read 15529 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: The best winter vehicle (on road use)
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »
The 2008 Outback Touring and the 2011 3.6R both had limited slip rear differentials and were beasts in the snow. The 2008 had winter Arctic Alpins I think, while the 2011 had Blizzaks. The Blizzaks had better ultimate traction, especially in snow.

The XV lacks the rear LSD, but the traction control seems to have it covered pretty well. Stability control interrupts fairly early. The studded Firestone Winterforces are loud but have awesome grip on ice and snow, better than the other two.

They all had just under 23cm of ground clearance, so no trouble with getting stuck for the most part.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:25 pm »

My 2014 Subaru Forrester wif Michelin latitude Alpins winters would give anyone on here a run fer their MONEY.....unless ya live in HOKEYVILLE with NO SNOW and a balmy population... :stick: :light: :think: :surrend: :spam: :pimp:

Pics or it did not happen  :popo:

"some" of us keep a low profile................and avoid Obamacare 8) ..oh yee of little FAITH
 did I tell ya aboot my Veyron golf cart.....

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:23:03 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 10:45:14 pm »
You pried 30K out of strong box?  :fall:   :cheers:

Did you ever send that kid who got you out of that Veloster a gratuity.  How lucky can one get.   ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:22 pm »

My 2014 Subaru Forrester wif Michelin latitude Alpins winters would give anyone on here a run fer their MONEY.....unless ya live in HOKEYVILLE with NO SNOW and a balmy population... :stick: :light: :think: :surrend: :spam: :pimp:

Pics or it did not happen  :popo:

"some" of us keep a low profile................and avoid Obamacare 8) ..oh yee of little FAITH
 did I tell ya aboot my Veyron golf cart.....

Play nice like the rest of us and show 'n shine ffs

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 11:20:44 pm »
If I could, I would swap the open rear diff on the Highlander for an LSD and get Subaru to reprogram the TRACS system.  It's way better than the early Mercedes systems that put the hammer to you at the first sign of any slippage, but still comes on too strong for me.

Or maybe get Subaru to install Toyota V-6's in their vehicles?  Even though the V-6 in my SUV is "old tech" it's a very nice engine.  I'm always impressed with the refinement and power delivery, and the fuel economy is surprising.  It's 800lbs heavier than the Forester, is much larger, has a much larger engine with a great deal more power and has a very slight penalty in the city and none on the highway.

My "ideal" non-diesel vehicle?  Maybe a Subaru wagon with the Toyota 3.5L dual injection engine from the IS with the Toyota 8-speed AT mated to the Subaru VTD-AWD, including rear LSD. Though I do admit that Subaru has made some strides with their newer engines.  The new 2.0L is probably the best unit they're using now.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:05 pm »

Play nice like the rest of us and show 'n shine ffs

No need to divulge personal info.  Take some pics in a parking lot and don't show the plate.  Or get some hot gal to pose topless with it and then we'd never notice if you had your address on a huge sign in the pic...

;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 11:42:50 pm »
You can get Cusco LSD for the front and rear Forester, so I would go with those, maybe a WRX engine with a light tune and an STi transmission. Add in some nice 7" rims with some Hakkepelitas or Blizzaks, Tein coilovers and some Primitive Enterprises skiplates. Boom, best winter beater ever!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 11:59:24 pm »
I'm fortunate enough to get to drive virtually every type of car in the winter. What really impresses me is that I've never felt less than fully confident in anything I've driven.

Some particularly interesting examples include an '08 Camry Hybrid my parents had for a while. I winter drove it for a couple winters a few years ago and on Michelin X-Ices, the car was an absolute beast. Never got stuck in anything.

Last winter we had a Suzuki Kizashi Sport long-termer... an absolute beast in the snow. Seriously, seriously good car.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 12:20:35 am »
I had a highly modded Camaro that was barely drivable in the rain, I couldn't have imagined it in the snow.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 12:26:28 am »
Last weekend we had a chance to put the Escape Hybrid awd up against a 2003 Outback.  The challenge was a steep old logging road, climbing from below to above the snowline.  I was really looking forward to the comparison.

I went up first and eventually the Outback vanished from the rear view.  I waited for a while, then continued up into heavy snow with frozen slush/ice as a base.  Past a couple of snowmobilers unloading from their 4x4 quad-cab pickups.   The second generation awd Escapes have predictive slip&grip system, and also have throttle cutoff to prevent excessive wheelspin that would overspin an electric motor.  I ground to a halt with wheelspin and then no throttle.  I backed down about 6" onto the little bumps behind the wheels.  This gave enough momentum that I was able to go forward and resume climbing.  Soon, however, it was obvious I wouldn't make it much farther so I turned around and parked.

Unfortunately the Outback was a manual and so has a minimum "stall" speed on steep grades.  It had been slipping the clutch on the steepest hill and had to be parked.  So I didn't get to compare traction.  Then a 1st generation CRV came up the road.  They got almost as far as I did, but had to put chains on to get to where there was room to turn around, in my broken tracks.

This was the first time I'd had the Escape Hybrid in extended challenging snow driving, and I was happy with how it did. 

Now, other people in the party own an old Subaru Loyale wagon.  The Outback owner had a Loyale wagon for many years before the Outback.  He maintained the Loyale wagon was the best vehicle for using in shallow snow ever built.  No exceptions, including the Outback, he insisted.  However, on two occasions our Suzuki Grand Vitara has done far better than one of these two Loyale wagons.  In one case, the GV broke trail in almost 2' of heavy damp snow, without chains. The Loyale, even with chains, had to be shovelled and pushed to get into the GV's tracks.  The other time, the Loyale was unable to follow a trail broken in deep snow by the GV, even though the GV was without chains and the Loyale was chained up.

And on winter highway driving, the Coquihalla "Highway Tru Hell", the GV has driven confidently in the unplowed fast lane, past all manner of vehicles going much slower in the plowed slow lane. The only people traveling faster had a Murano and a Quattro wagon.  The diciest moves are when you change lanes, transitioning over the snow berms.  The GV is pretty good at that.

Something interesting for winter driving is that hybrids use the massive traction battery and one of the large electric motors for starting, and therefore have a vastly more powerful starting system than non-hybrids.  I'll be trying mine at about -25 Sunday morning.

Edit: I mistakenly used "Legend" when I meant to say "Loyale", so I've corrected the post.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:55:56 pm by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 12:50:55 am »
We've got tons of snow here in Winnipeg and I was able to test my Ford Taurus AWD (Dunlop SJ6 winter tires) for the first time. Works great, you can feel the front wheels losing grip and half a second later the back wheels kick in, I also feel like ESP+TC kick off after power has been transferred to the back wheels. The whole system 'slip and grip' set up actually works better than the Rogue I had before.

I've had my share of experiences with a Liberty (SUV), Rogue (CUV) and I can say that this is the best vehicle I've ever had for snow.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 01:28:40 am »
We've got tons of snow here in Winnipeg and I was able to test my Ford Taurus AWD (Dunlop SJ6 winter tires) for the first time. Works great, you can feel the front wheels losing grip and half a second later the back wheels kick in, I also feel like ESP+TC kick off after power has been transferred to the back wheels. The whole system 'slip and grip' set up actually works better than the Rogue I had before.

I've had my share of experiences with a Liberty (SUV), Rogue (CUV) and I can say that this is the best vehicle I've ever had for snow.

How do you like the SHO so far....its one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to automobiles??

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:02 am »

Now, other people in the party own an old Subaru Legend wagon.  The Outback owner had a Legend wagon for many years before the Outback.  He maintained the Legend wagon was the best vehicle for using in shallow snow ever built. 

Do you mean the Legacy?  ;)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 11:53:55 am »
I would choose the Fusion over the F-150 in anything but deep snow.  My old '97 Outback had great traction, but the HVAC was awful and almost useless in some conditions.  The AWD system in my mother's '04 Jag X-Type 3.0 was not nearly as good as the one in my Fusion. 

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
I would say the best winter vehicle is the one that starts in -30 without being plugged in. That would not be my CR-V. :( :rofl2:
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:21 pm »
I would say the best winter vehicle is the one that starts in -30 without being plugged in. That would not be my CR-V. :( :rofl2:

:rofl: Oh....that sucks...crap battery??

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »

No, battery is fine. Honda chooses to put in a battery that really no bigger then a motorcycle battery. No reserve capacity.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

No, battery is fine. Honda chooses to put in a battery that really no bigger then a motorcycle battery. No reserve capacity.

My Altima was the same way, I shoved in the biggest Motomaster Eliminator that physically fit, problem solved.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 02:02:27 pm »
I remember back in '86 I had a remote starter installed in my F-150 4x4 and programed it to start in intervals of every few hours then run for 20 minutes. It paid off big time when we would snowmobile into our camps over the weekends at -30. At times my truck was the only one that would start after 3-4 days and I could boost the others.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »
I remember back in '86 I had a remote starter installed in my F-150 4x4 and programed it to start in intervals of every few hours then run for 20 minutes. It paid off big time when we would snowmobile into our camps over the weekends at -30. At times my truck was the only one that would start after 3-4 days and I could boost the others.

People who have only experienced fuel injection have no appreciation for the fun it could be to start a carbureted engine. 

"Pump gas pedal 3 times if over -20, pump 4 times if under, turn key and don't touch the gas again until 1/2 second before it sputters, any later and you have to repeat the cycle using one fewer gas pedal pumps until you reach zero pumps, then hold pedal to floor until battery dies or it sputters to a start."  Repeat ad nauseum, etc."
Mr Pickypants