Author Topic: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada  (Read 22485 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »
oh no! not the Terms of Service on a forum site i don't care about! You tell him to make me go away quadzilla! Run to him like a bullied 5 year old that says it isn't kindergarten!

give me a damn break...

It's been real great fellas.

Until next time

For somebody that doesn't care about this forum you sure are trying to get your point across.  And what makes you think its you that I'm talking about?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2013, 04:46:34 pm »
Wow, this dude must really love torturing himself.  That many kms in a Corolla?    :rofl2:

But actually, I would find that I would need the seat cushion in the drivers seat replaced at least 3 times during that ownership period.  The seat cushion in my Protege at 331000 kms is shot.  There is no cushioning.

Second, I'm sure many cars can do this, but most people want change or their needs change.  Heck, I read about a guy in the US that did 1 million miles (1.6 million kms) in a 2000 Honda Civic.  He would drive regularly across the country (Florida to Seattle and all over).  All he ever had done was regular maintenance per the schedule set by Honda (i.e. timing belt changes, fluid changes, lubrication) and normal wear and tear items (brakes, struts, etc).

In my case, the rust on my Protege is what will ultimately kill the car.  The powertrain / drivetrain is solid and could likely go forever.  I have done a compression test on the engine just for fun and it's rock solid per the factory service manual.  I plan to drive it till the rust kills it or when my needs change.  The latter is getting closer as it's impossible to fit 3 adults + 2 infant twins and all their crap in my Protege and even in my wife's Rogue.  And the older vehicle is of course first on the chopping block.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:49:16 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
Years ago I met a traveling dentist in southern Alberta that had a Mercedes diesel that had 800,000km on it and most of the car was original.  Engine, transmission, etc had never been opened.  He attributed the reliability of the vehicle to it's simplicity.  I agree.

I had a 190E 2.6 that had 510K on it.  Also a very simple car.  It might have been a "luxury" car when new, but luxury not in terms of gadgets, but of robust build quality.

My later C230 had a very strong engine at 250K, but the issues were related to complex systems mostly electronic in nature.  While in many ways the car was as well made (or better) than the earlier 190E, thee were too many complex systems that were not reliable, and that made it frustrating as the car aged.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2013, 06:20:04 pm »
Years ago I met a traveling dentist in southern Alberta that had a Mercedes diesel that had 800,000km on it and most of the car was original.  Engine, transmission, etc had never been opened.  He attributed the reliability of the vehicle to it's simplicity.  I agree.

I had a 190E 2.6 that had 510K on it.  Also a very simple car.  It might have been a "luxury" car when new, but luxury not in terms of gadgets, but of robust build quality.

My later C230 had a very strong engine at 250K, but the issues were related to complex systems mostly electronic in nature.  While in many ways the car was as well made (or better) than the earlier 190E, thee were too many complex systems that were not reliable, and that made it frustrating as the car aged.

We have a family friend with an old 300D with over 1 million kms on it.  Still has it and drives it.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:24 pm »
A jeez, I'm late to this party :(

Well, years ago, I asked my cousin why he was driving a beat up Chevy Beretta (I overheard him complaining to my mechanic uncle about some problem). His reply was simply that it was cheaper to put in a couple of thousand dollars in repairs per year on a car that was paid off & with no collision coverage than to go out a buy a new car. Plus he didn't have to worry about parking lot dings.

The one question I have about this Corolla guy is this: he almost hit the 1 million km mark. Why not just drive it for another couple of weeks? If I was in his shoes, I would have gone for that million km.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2013, 09:15:43 pm »
Did the traveling Dentist(did the teeth not stay put!!!) have 1Million on his choppers.... 8) ??? ::) :P ...is NOT the 1 Million mark olde Hat???
 maybe 5Millon is the new million.....i still have half my teeth..but i'm not too MOLAR aboot it.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Re: Re: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:07 pm »
A jeez, I'm late to this party :(

Well, years ago, I asked my cousin why he was driving a beat up Chevy Beretta (I overheard him complaining to my mechanic uncle about some problem). His reply was simply that it was cheaper to put in a couple of thousand dollars in repairs per year on a car that was paid off & with no collision coverage than to go out a buy a new car. Plus he didn't have to worry about parking lot dings.

The one question I have about this Corolla guy is this: he almost hit the 1 million km mark. Why not just drive it for another couple of weeks? If I was in his shoes, I would have gone for that million km.

Question has been asked (along with others). Stay tuned.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 11:12:38 pm »
I have a few high miler stories.

First was a 1996 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5 Diesel. Local hudderite colony traded it for 100 bales of year old hay (would have sold it to them for $10 a bale) That truck has 600,000 ish kms and still ran perfect. It had never had any major work done to the engine or tranny, just injector pump, glow plugs, transfer case, and turbo. It finally gave out at around 750,000 due to a cracked piston. I was towing a bit too heavy with it and she got a bit too hot lol! I sold it to a guy for $500, he pulled the cracked piston out, slammed another in and as far as I know its still running!

Another is my wifes Aunt and Uncle. They have a 2004 Pontiac Montana Van thats got to be over 700,000kms now. They use it as a delivery van for their small organic produce busniess and have toured all over creation with it. They even had it brought over to Europe for a six month tour. In winter they load it up and drive it to all kinds of warm US spots. Biggest repair for the van was a tranny around 400,000- kms. All just regular maintenence and wear out items. This van replaced a 1993 Toyota Previa, they had over 500,000 on it when it got totalled in a accident. His plan for the Previa was 1 million kms. He thinks he'll replace the pontiac before that as he wants to try the truck/trailer thing.

I think modern vehicles will a very long time. Oil technology and cleaner fuels help too.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 12:00:56 am »
Trigger and the GIFs gave me a good laugh after a hard week of work.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyways, I still believe the accomplishment is very impressive...and I'm wondering the same question about not driving it to 1,000,000 km.

I have ridden in a previous gen Prius Taxi last summer in Vancouver, and it had over 700,000 km on it. It seemed smooth to me. The cabbie said it recently had minor battery issues but it was still running fine after a quick fix.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 05:46:03 am »
When a car is free and clear, there goes the car payment. By saving $200, $300, $400 a month on a car payment, I am sure you can pay half that on good maintenance and keep that car forever.

I personally believe dealers can provide better maintenance than independents. These technicians see the same car day in and day out. They will find signs of parts failing BEFORE they fail. The last thing we need is someone on the road waiting for parts to fail before replacing them.

Yes yes  and yes.  I'm an advocate for original parts and nobody know your car better than a dealer tech.  Over the years they have these TSBs down to a T and all the little got ya memorized.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 07:39:14 am »

Yes yes  and yes.  I'm an advocate for original parts and nobody know your car better than a dealer tech.  Over the years they have these TSBs down to a T and all the little got ya memorized.

Maybe.  We have a local MB indie that provides 1000x better service than the dealers.  He works on nothing but MB models, has access to the MB diagnostic hardware and software, and doesn't play the BS "yours is the only one I've seen do this" game that dealers love.  He is upfront about known problems and solutions.  With a complex car like a Mercedes, I'd certainly find a single marque indie.

For a 2001 Corolla?  That's the modern equivalent of a Model T.  It's hard to find a simpler car.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2013, 11:25:07 am »

Maybe.  We have a local MB indie that provides 1000x better service than the dealers.  He works on nothing but MB models, has access to the MB diagnostic hardware and software, and doesn't play the BS "yours is the only one I've seen do this" game that dealers love.  He is upfront about known problems and solutions.  With a complex car like a Mercedes, I'd certainly find a single marque indie.

For a 2001 Corolla?  That's the modern equivalent of a Model T.  It's hard to find a simpler car.

Agreed.  In fact, I have seen it time and time again where the dealer techs know less about a car than independents or even a DIYer enthusiast such as myself.  It gets worse as the model ages and they have less of them coming to the dealership.  One of our local Acura dealers has to be the worst as they can't figure out issues even on a newer vehicle...

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »
Quite the debate.   I don't even like Corollas and I'm impressed.  I think they've glossed over some of the repairs he had done but most cars need constant repairs once they reach 4-500k and I doubt anyone who uses his car for a living would put up with that.   I think Toyota earned this PR stunt. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2013, 02:38:44 pm »
a single margue indie is tough to find sometimes... or charges a lot knowing they are the only game around... you do get some good service usually. only certain brands are worthwhile...

the big flaw with someone like triggers' theory is that the overall cost *might* be equal to 2+ cars... but not equal to two cars plus the maintenance on those cars. just because the car is newer doesn't mean it runs for free. also, as everyone noted, dealer oil changes etc. are not 2-3x the cost anywhere else... even doing it yourself. i just did my oil at the dealer (i don't get a discount on oil changes)... and my after tax amount was 37 bucks. no fricken way am i doing it myself so i can save maybe ten bucks. that's just dumb.

i'm sure he's just a troll, but it makes you wonder how delusional people must be when the argument is him vs 20 other people, yet he still thinks he's right. at what point do you think.. "hmmm... why am i the ONLY one with this viewpoint... am i that much smarter than everyone else, or am i just plain wrong?"

it's like that guy driving with a train of 25 cars on his bumper saying, "i'm driving the right speed here... they are the ones in the wrong wanting to drive faster"

oh, and didn't that volvo finally hit 3 million miles? so 4.8million kms and it's on the original engine.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2013, 11:27:32 pm »
Any car can last if looked after nothing special Toyota.

One million kilometres and car is still going strong

1995 Hyundai Accent had regular maintenance at Attrell Hyundai

HEATHER ENNIS, Staff writer

In the past eight years, Mohammed Subedar has traveled around the world more than 20 times-- in his car. Last week, the odometer on the Brampton courier's 1995 Hyundai Accent rolled all the way around to zero, leaving 1,000,000 kilometres of asphalt behind.

"We kept wondering if it was going to go the million," said Subedar's sister Farhana at Attrell Hyundai, the Brampton dealership where the Subedars bought the little green car used in 1998 with almost 30,000 kilometres on it.

Though it has a few battle scars, the car's original 1.5-litre engine still purrs like a kitten.

"He knows the sound of his own engine," said Desmond Attrell, service manager at the dealership.

Delivering packages for a living, it's not unusual for Subedar to travel 5,000 kilometres in a week. He has been diligent about getting regular scheduled maintenance for his car, according to his sister. Records at Attrell Hyundai prove it.

"The vehicle has been maintained like clockwork," said Attrell.

Since Aug. 5, 2000 Subedar has brought the Accent in for 81 oil changes, 23 transmission services, 17 injector flushes and eight coolant flushes. The total cost of mainenance-- excluding a few minor repairs-- has been $5721.

To mark the one-millionth kilometer, Attrell Hyundai gave the Subedars a $500 gift certificate for ongoing service and the same amount to put towards a new Hyundai-- when they're ready. The old one isn't going anywhere soon, said Farhana.

"I think it's going to be a drive it into the ground kind of thing," she said.

Hyundai executives also traveled to Brampton to recognize the milestone mileage.

"It's a great occasion for Hyundai Canada and a great occasion for one of our great dealers," said regional sales manager Daniel Stiller, who presented the Subedars with a trophy. "We are proud of the Accent. Many Canadians have had their first automotive experience in a Hyundai."

Subedar has another Accent at home-- a purple one--with a mere 230,000 kilometres on the odometer.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:29:45 pm by jaari »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2013, 09:03:03 am »
I was a fan of the Ninth generation Corolla but doubt his 2013 10th gen would equal the mileage of his 2001 Rolla.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:12 am »
Why not?  The basic premise of the Corolla is intact.  It's a relatively simple car with proven components.  There's a few higher mileage 09 models around and they're holding up very well.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2013, 10:10:34 am »
Why not?  The basic premise of the Corolla is intact.  It's a relatively simple car with proven components.  There's a few higher mileage 09 models around and they're holding up very well.

I worked at a Toy dealer at the time of the model change over. We (including techs) compared the newer model and noted many changes and omissions to contrary. Drive them back to back and let your seat answer that question. Material quality dropped and sound insulation was stripped to name a few. The vehicle felt less planted and less secure on turns and stops. Toyota had raised the vehicle making it feel like a boat ride on waves by comparison. Sheet metal was thinned and overall plastic seemed cheaper. Maybe because of early production but the fit & finish did not seem up to par. There was no one in sales or a tech who liked the newer model over the outgoing model. The newer vehicle did not inspire confidence even if just comparing rides.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:28:20 pm by redman »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2013, 10:49:22 am »
Sound insulation plays no role in whether a car can record high mileage.  Engine and transmission and secondary systems are the one that have to last.  The 1.8L has a poor water pump that has been revised, is inexpensive and super easy to replace.  The four speed AT has been around forever and is known to be very long lived.  The suspension is also mostly carried over from previous models with a simple design and quality components.  Ours only has 130K on it, but rides and drives like the day we brought it home.  No sign of aging at all.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »
Who says the owner of that milion km Corolla religiously went to the dealer for oil changes, maintenance and repairs all the time?

They gave him the line he had to tell to get a good deal.

A Corolla is a long lasting reliable vehicle but many cars doing easy highway long daily commutes could have done this.  This car was certainly not beaten. LOL plus the daily put, put, put of driving students driving so slow to infuriate everybody else on the road.