Author Topic: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada  (Read 22481 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:02:55 am »

Driving school instructor drives 998,000 kilometers in 2001 Corolla before trading in

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:13 am »
So did they at least give him a new one?? Seeing as how that million mile Corolla is about the best piece of advertising one can have in the showroom.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
So did they at least give him a new one?? Seeing as how that million mile Corolla is about the best piece of advertising one can have in the showroom.

No, but I get the feeling he got more than fair value for his trade-in.

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Corolla
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:57:07 am »
So the secret to driving a high mileage Toyota is taking it to them to be serviced and paying double or triple the price compared to anywhere else? He practically paid for the car twice because everyone knows dealership prices are OUTRAGEOUS.

I own a 2001 Corolla and i got 430,000 km on mine currently, and it has been beat to a pulp on occasion, so i have no complaints about its overall performance, but the parts for them are allot more rare and expensive when you go shopping around.

Corollas are nice reliable cars, but getting to a million KM is a very, very rare achievement and is definitely not a testament to the manufacturer as a whole. This guy is obviously compulsive enough and stupid enough to take it to a dealership for an overpriced oil change and constantly persuaded to replace parts that still have months or years of life left.

I would be really curious to know how much of that car is original, but they will never tell you.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:05:31 pm »
Trigger,  you sound a little unglued.  Everything OK?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
So the secret to driving a high mileage Toyota is taking it to them to be serviced and paying double or triple the price compared to anywhere else? He practically paid for the car twice because everyone knows dealership prices are OUTRAGEOUS.

I own a 2001 Corolla and i got 430,000 km on mine currently, and it has been beat to a pulp on occasion, so i have no complaints about its overall performance, but the parts for them are allot more rare and expensive when you go shopping around.

Corollas are nice reliable cars, but getting to a million KM is a very, very rare achievement and is definitely not a testament to the manufacturer as a whole. This guy is obviously compulsive enough and stupid enough to take it to a dealership for an overpriced oil change and constantly persuaded to replace parts that still have months or years of life left.

I would be really curious to know how much of that car is original, but they will never tell you.

:shuffle:

http://youtu.be/RsQ65-QlglQ

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »
ya I'm absolutely fine, it just pisses me off when i see articles like this because it makes it seem like anyone can do it but the reality of the matter is, the car behind his at the manufacturing plant could of made it to 300,000 km and bit the dust even though they did everything he did.

The whole article just seems like an ad for "come to a dealership, we do it better than everyone else" but really the message that people should see is "he did an extreme amount of highway driving and paid for the car two times over in toyota service fees, what a moron".

Which really means he had 2 cars at 500,000 km. - And as far as I'm concerned that is nothing impressive, most cars and trucks nowadays get into the 400,000 - 500,000 range with just regular garage maintenance.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »
Article doesn't mention if it had any transmission or engine replacement/overhauls either. Unless the body rots out you can push more modern cars to massive mileages. Most people don't want to.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »
Yup, if your determined enough you can keep pretty much anything on the road...just keep replacing parts and throwing money at it. It may make logical sense if you are doing the work yourself and at least saving the labour, or you've got a reasonably priced indy doing the work. Having everything done at the dealer realistically offers no advantage, and logically it wouldn't take very long before the costs start to outweigh the benefit of keeping it on the road.

Like Mr. Dent suggested, the body is really the determining factor now; once it rots out and starts to become a structural problem, or even an aestetic issue, most people will give up on it.

It's also a mentality thing...Most people today think they *need* to have a new car every couple years; so they only plan to keep a car a few years, they treat it like crap, dump it on the used market (or trade in) at a huge loss and move onto the next. It then gets picked up by someone shopping for a cheap beater, it's treated like a cheap beater and ends up in a scrap yard before 250,000kms because it needs so many wear/maintenance items that it's not worth repairing....Sad and wasteful, but it keeps the economy going...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 12:39:47 pm »
An Albertan social worker got a free 2003 Corolla when she traded in her 1990 Corolla wagon with 995,000km on it to Kingsway Toyota in Edmonton. Manual transmission. The only major work other than typical wear stuff was her transmission which went at about 550,000km. Engine is original. Mostly highway kms shuttling kids all around the province.

I'm going to fully dealer maintain my 3 and see if it's in better shape than my self maintained 5 at 180,000km. It's not much more expensive than regular shops for scheduled maintenance stuff. My Skyactiv 3 requires synthetic for example and it's $73 at a dealer taxes in. I paid $240 taxes in for 24,000km service which included a bunch more stuff and taking the brakes apart and lubricating the slider pins, which increases the life of the brakes. This is something I failed to do with my 5 when I changed the brakes myself and 100,000km later my inside pads had a full 8mm left but outside pads only 4mm left. Maybe I should've switched them around lol.

I could take my car into a quick lube place for warranty approved service but then they want me to come back every 6 instead of 8,000km, will charge me more for that oil change with Fram filters, and then try to upsell me with everything.

My Sienna I'm planning to do a hybrid maintenance service, do the oil changes myself and then every fourth oil change take it into a dealer for a maintenance package and have them check stuff, lube things I wouldn't lube myself, etc.

Cars need to get maintained, that's a fact. The capital cost of purchasing one is really just a smidge in the bucket over a vehicle's lifetime. One will pay the car's value on fuel in 10 years at 24,000km a year..

Regularily scheduled maintenance costs about 2 to 3 cents a km at the dealer. My newer car currently depreciates at about 10 cents a km. I don't need to tell you what I'd rather spend.

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:52 pm »
This guy averaged 3 times a 24,000 km average which means he had an oil change done 10 times a year at toyota... You are a complete moron if you have 130 oil changes done at a dealership on 1, $15,000 car.

It's that simple, and that's just oil changes, god only knows what else they sucked him into if he's stupid enough to go there 10 times a year for overpriced oil and labour
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:52:55 pm by trigger200284 »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:55:04 pm »
I've never seen anyone so butthurt about dealer service lol. What are his alternatives?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:47 pm »
trigger,  I didn't know you had a copy of his service history including receipts for the work done.   Please show us a link.  Otherwise all you are doing is spouting off conjecture as fact.

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:10 pm »
Change the oil himself, or take it to a garage, its not like he had a warranty for the last 830,000 km he owned it. He makes it sound like all this was made possible because a dealership mechanic held the oil jug.

Any car can make it to a million if you give into a dealership fear mongering you about replacing everything every time you go in there. they always pull that :censor: "Noone knows this car better than me and you need this and this replaced or else"

I own a corolla, i do all the maintenance myself, a freaking monkey could work on a Toyota, its like lego.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 01:11:13 pm »
I think somebody is reading WAY too much into this article.

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 01:12:14 pm »
Do the Math:

the car was built in the year 2000.

that makes it 13 years old.

If you divide 998,000 by 13 it gives you an annual total of 76,769

He said the secret to keeping the car going was regular dealership maintenance which means he had an oil change done every 8000, which works out to 9.59 oil changes a year on average over the course of 13 years.

I don't need the receipts or maintanence record to do math, swerver

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 01:12:39 pm »
On the other hand, if the guy actually reached nearly a million km, that's pretty cool…and obvious that Toyota and the dealership would turn it into a PR story. That's what I would do.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:03 pm »
Change the oil himself, or take it to a garage, its not like he had a warranty for the last 830,000 km he owned it. He makes it sound like all this was made possible because a dealership mechanic held the oil jug.

Any car can make it to a million if you give into a dealership fear mongering you about replacing everything every time you go in there. they always pull that :censor: "Noone knows this car better than me and you need this and this replaced or else"

I own a corolla, i do all the maintenance myself, a freaking monkey could work on a Toyota, its like lego.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »
Do the Math:

the car was built in the year 2000.

that makes it 13 years old.

If you divide 998,000 by 13 it gives you an annual total of 76,769

He said the secret to keeping the car going was regular dealership maintenance which means he had an oil change done every 8000, which works out to 9.59 oil changes a year on average over the course of 13 years.

I don't need the receipts or maintanence record to do math, swerver

Since you know more than everybody else. Please tell all of us exactly to the penny how much he paid for every oil change.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 01:20:07 pm »
Fack me, relax trigger.  Please tell us how much he paid for every oil change  :P.  When I lived in AB I used to take my Tundra to the dealer.  Drive up service and I'd only save about $10 by doing it myself.  It wasn't worth it for me at the time.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.