Author Topic: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada  (Read 22484 times)

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Corolla
Re: Nearly 1 Million Kilometer Corolla Celebrated By Toyota Canada
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
He paid more there because he undoubtedly paid for all kinds of parts along the way to keep that car operational to a million km. Parts that he paid dealership prices for. It's not just about the god damn oil change, its about all the extras they sucked him into because they knew he was dumb enough to keep showing up for oil changes at a higher price than the competition outside of any manufacturers warranty.

Noone goes to the freakin dealership outside of warranty for any service because they know how bad they get screwed. So what I'm saying to you is, this guy paid for 2 corollas in one and it makes it look impressive when it really isnt.

And that guy got fisted on parts along the way

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »
Do the Math:

the car was built in the year 2000.

that makes it 13 years old.

If you divide 998,000 by 13 it gives you an annual total of 76,769

He said the secret to keeping the car going was regular dealership maintenance which means he had an oil change done every 8000, which works out to 9.59 oil changes a year on average over the course of 13 years.

I don't need the receipts or maintanence record to do math, swerver

Wow,when you reach 1million kilometers come back and post how much it cost you.
Oil changes at the dealer don't cost that much more. That model didn't even have a timing belt to replace.
It would have been nice if they told us what was replaced on that particular car though. Really just PR job for toyota.

I kicked myself everyday for selling my 90 corolla that had been rust checked every year. I know if it was still in my hands it would still be running today.
Oh I do my own oil changes. ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:45:16 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:39 pm »
Isn't the oil change thing completely facking irrelevant or am I missing something

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 01:43:00 pm »
Why would anyone who is not certifiable want to drive a Corolla for a million Km anyway?   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »
He paid more there because he undoubtedly paid for all kinds of parts along the way to keep that car operational to a million km. Parts that he paid dealership prices for. It's not just about the god damn oil change, its about all the extras they sucked him into because they knew he was dumb enough to keep showing up for oil changes at a higher price than the competition outside of any manufacturers warranty.

Noone goes to the freakin dealership outside of warranty for any service because they know how bad they get screwed. So what I'm saying to you is, this guy paid for 2 corollas in one and it makes it look impressive when it really isnt.

And that guy got fisted on parts along the way

Face it...You know nothing about what this person paid. Don't go away mad, just go away.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »
Do the Math:

the car was built in the year 2000.

that makes it 13 years old.

If you divide 998,000 by 13 it gives you an annual total of 76,769

He said the secret to keeping the car going was regular dealership maintenance which means he had an oil change done every 8000, which works out to 9.59 oil changes a year on average over the course of 13 years.

I don't need the receipts or maintanence record to do math, swerver

Wow,when you reach 1million kilometers come back and post how much it cost you.
Oil changes at the dealer don't cost that much more. That model didn't even have a timing belt to replace.
It would have been nice if they told us what was replaced on that particular car though. Really just PR job for toyota.

I kicked myself everyday for selling my 90 corolla that had been rust checked every year. I know if it was still in my hands it would still be running today.
Oh I do my own oil changes. ;)

The press release says just regular maintenance.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »
Everyone: please keep the conversation constructive and personal attacks to a minimum. As always, this is forum land, and we have differing opinions. To discuss the differences is one thing, but attacks on our fellow forumsters is another.

Thank you,
Your Friendly News Editor

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
Do the Math:

You think this guy would have been better off if he drove 3 different cars to 330K or one to 990?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »
Do the Math:

You think this guy would have been better off if he drove 3 different cars to 330K or one to 990?

Then he would've paid for three different cars, AND maintenance.

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 02:57:21 pm »
"Face it...You know nothing about what this person paid. Don't go away mad, just go away."

Ya that's a brilliant statement considering i own one. I know what goes into them for parts and it is far from nothing, its more than you would think. It equals out to enough money that he would of paid for the car twice. The Suspension would of went on that thing an absolute minimum of twice over a million km and to replace those once would cost him about 800, and that's with zero labour.

So the suspension alone is something like 2/15 of the cars price, then there's spark plugs and wires at least 3 sets of those, alternator would never make it to a million, brakes and rotors, exhaust and intake sensors (they constantly go on 98-02 corollas), filters, probably a fuel pump or 2 (and you gotta drop the tank to get to the pump on an 01 Corolla which costs money, bearings, control arms, sway bars, wiper motors, and i would bet anything either the transmission or the engine was replaced or majorly overhauled on at least 1 occasion.

And he paid labour on every bit of those replacements because he believes in dealership service.

If you believe all of that stuff over the course of a million km doesn't equal another full car, you are foolish, and that's just the stuff i replaced through 430,000

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
Haha, it's just amusing this guy has offended you so much like he's pushing his religion with you or slept with your wife or something, when he's just spending his own money how he chooses.

Let's guess how much this guy has spent on his car:

Car - $18,000 (taxes in)
Insurance - $12,000
Fuel - $75,000
Regular maintenance - $30,000 (3 cents a km)
9 brake jobs, a couple of alternators, 6 suspension jobs, a rebuilt engine and tranny? - $13,000
9 sets of tires - $9,000

Total cost = $167,300

Cost per km = 16 cents a km. That's CHEAP.

Currently the cost of running my 3 is 34 cents a km (considering depreciation rather than car payments). I would prefer to be in his shoes.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »
"Face it...You know nothing about what this person paid. Don't go away mad, just go away."

Ya that's a brilliant statement considering i own one. I know what goes into them for parts and it is far from nothing, its more than you would think. It equals out to enough money that he would of paid for the car twice. The Suspension would of went on that thing an absolute minimum of twice over a million km and to replace those once would cost him about 800, and that's with zero labour.

So the suspension alone is something like 2/15 of the cars price, then there's spark plugs and wires at least 3 sets of those, alternator would never make it to a million, brakes and rotors, exhaust and intake sensors (they constantly go on 98-02 corollas), filters, probably a fuel pump or 2 (and you gotta drop the tank to get to the pump on an 01 Corolla which costs money, bearings, control arms, sway bars, wiper motors, and i would bet anything either the transmission or the engine was replaced or majorly overhauled on at least 1 occasion.

And he paid labour on every bit of those replacements because he believes in dealership service.

If you believe all of that stuff over the course of a million km doesn't equal another full car, you are foolish, and that's just the stuff i replaced through 430,000

Again....YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS PERSON HAD TO PAY OVER THE LIFE OF THAT CAR. You keep talking about what you had to pay.  :banghead:

Do the Math:

Then he would've paid for three different cars, AND maintenance.

Funny how that happens. ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »

Crikey...Trigger, you sure do know how to make an entrance....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline trigger200284

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
The whole point of me explaining this out is, this article is advertising this as impressive, when it in fact was 2 cars worth of parts that got him there, not one. I don't give a flying rats ass what you say i know and don't know, i own an '01 Corolla, i know lots of people that own '01 corollas, they cost money in parts, of which the vast majority of people pay labour on to replace, this guy included.

SO AGAIN, THE :censor: CAR IS NOT MAGICAL, whether or not you say i don't know what he paid is irrelevant, because it was not free, and i know from experience what he paid to operate and maintain it because i have THE EXACT SAME CAR, it is you who do not know what he paid.

And for the record, Mazda's are :censor: garbage, no wonder it costs you 34 cents a km.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 03:33:29 pm »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »
The whole point of me explaining this out is, this article is advertising this as impressive, when it in fact was 2 cars worth of parts that got him there, not one. I don't give a flying rats ass what you say i know and don't know, i own an '01 Corolla, i know lots of people that own '01 corollas, they cost money in parts, of which the vast majority of people pay labour on to replace, this guy included.

SO AGAIN, THE :censor: CAR IS NOT MAGICAL, whether or not you say i don't know what he paid is irrelevant, because it was not free, and i know from experience what he paid to operate and maintain it because i have THE EXACT SAME CAR, it is you who do not know what he paid.

And for the record, Mazda's are :censor: garbage, no wonder it costs you 34 cents a km.

Let me make sure I have this right...
To make a car run for almost a million kilometres you have to spend money to maintain it?!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »
To make a car run for almost a million kilometres you have to spend money to maintain it?!

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 03:42:43 pm »
Haha at least my car's fun to drive. Not knocking the Corolla, Toyotas are the most reliable things on the road and will last forever, if you don't fall asleep behind the wheel from boredom and total it prematurely.  ;D I have a Sienna, it's a fantastic family car, but it's a refrigerator on wheels.

My 3 - 33 cents a km actually
9 cents a km - gas
5 cents a km - maintenance, tires, etc.
12 cents a km - estimated current rate of depreciation, it'll go down over time.
$1,700 a year - insurance (works out to 7 cents a km this year)

My Sienna - 32 cents a km.
20 cents a km - gas
6 cents a km - maintenance, parts, tires, etc.
0 cents a km - depreciation, this thing has hit rock bottom.
$1,500 a year - insurance (works out to 6 cents a km)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 03:43:27 pm »

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 03:50:17 pm »

:rofl: :rofl: