Author Topic: Dont Plug Your Electrical Car Just Anywhere  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
Dont Plug Your Electrical Car Just Anywhere
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:14:39 pm »
Nissan leaf driver arrested for plugging into a school outlet and sent to jail. The amount of electricity stolen; approximately $0.05.

http://m.green.autoblog.com/2013/12/04/nissan-leaf-driver-arrrested-stealing-5-cents-electricity/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Dont Plug Your Electrical Car Just Anywhere
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »
And see, that cop should be professionally slapped across the back of the head....with a 2x4. A little common sense helps when doing your job Dudley Doright....  ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:32 pm »
Giving the guy a fine ticket that he can contest in court would be a stretch, but reasonable for a cop having a hungover, I guess.
Actually arresting the guy an keeping him in jail for 15 hours (is there a criminal record too?) is beyond ridiculous.
BTW his kid attends the school and the guy is likely a taxpayer... This is plain wrong. If this officer is this anal in every law application he would be a lot more useful to society if he charged ppl for throwing cigaret butts and garbage everywhere.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:04 pm »
What would your reaction be if he snagged a couple bucks of gas out of a jerry can sitting in a school maintenance truck?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »
I still think a ticket should be issued for a couple of bucks of gas....electricity is even less of a crime. Especially since they are funded by tax dollars, not like he plugged his golf cart....I mean car, into his neighbours house.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:40:39 pm »
What would your reaction be if he snagged a couple bucks of gas out of a jerry can sitting in a school maintenance truck?
I wouldn't approve of that, but 5 cents worth of electricity, really?
What if the guy walked into the school and charged his cell - jail?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »
Banker and financial types almost collapse the global economy gambling on dubious or illegal financial instruments? Slap on the hand.
Steal 5¢ of electricity, jail. Seems about right.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »
Banker and financial types almost collapse the global economy gambling on dubious or illegal financial instruments? Slap on the hand.
Steal 5¢ of electricity, jail. Seems about right.

Yep. This cop also never took a personal call while on the clock and always asked to use a washroom even when not buying anything from a coffee shop...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »

5 cents is 0.04L of gas.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1199
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 06:25:53 pm »
This ordeal is costing the tax payers over there a whole lot more  than .05$.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »
What if the guy walked into the school and charged his cell - jail?

Forget walking into the school.  What if his cell was plugged into the receptacle instead of his car?  Would the cop have busted him?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:54 pm »
Repeat offender.  The guy was warned before not to be on the school property by the school. 

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/314666/40/Electric-car-owner-charged-with-stealing-5-cents-worth-of-juice

Wednesday evening, Chamblee City Manager and Police Chief Marc Johnson issued the following statement:

We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. The responding officer located the vehicle in the rear of the building at the kitchen loading dock up against the wall with a cord run to an outlet. The officer spent some time trying to determine whose vehicle it was. It was unlocked and he eventually began looking through the interior after verifying it did not belong to the school system.

The officer, his marked patrol vehicle and the electric vehicle were all in clear view of the tennis courts. Eventually, a man on the courts told the officer that the man playing tennis with him owned the vehicle. The officer went to the courts and interviewed the vehicle owner. The officer's initial incident report gives a good indication of how difficult and argumentative the individual was to deal with. He made no attempt to apologize or simply say oops and he wouldn't do it again. Instead he continued being argumentative, acknowledged he did not have permission and then accused the officer of having damaged his car door. The officer told him that was not true and that the vehicle and existing damage was already on his vehicles video camera from when he drove up.

Given the uncooperative attitude and accusations of damage to his vehicle, the officer chose to document the incident on an incident report. The report was listed as misdemeanor theft by taking. The officer had no way of knowing how much power had been consumed, how much it cost nor how long it had been charging.

The report made its way to Sgt Ford's desk for a follow up investigation. He contacted the middle school and inquired of several administrative personnel whether the individual had permission to use power. He was advised no. Sgt. Ford showed a photo to the school resource officer who recognized Mr. Kamooneh. Sgt Ford was further advised that Mr. Kamooneh had previously been advised he was not allowed on the school tennis courts without permission from the school . This was apparently due to his interfering with the use of the tennis courts previously during school hours.

Based upon the totality of these circumstances and without any expert advice on the amount of electricity that may have been used, Sgt Ford signed a theft warrant. The warrant was turned over to the DeKalb Sheriffs Dept for service because the individual lived in Decatur, not Chamblee. This is why he was arrested at a later time.

I am sure that Sgt. Ford was feeling defensive when he said a theft is a theft and he would do it again. Ultimately, Sgt. Ford did make the decision to pursue the theft charges, but the decision was based on Mr. Kamooneh having been advised that he was not allowed on the property without permission. Had he complied with that notice none of this would have occurred. Mr. Kamooneh's son is not a student at the middle school and he was not the one playing tennis. Mr. Kamooneh was taking lessons himself.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 09:06:24 pm »
Doesn't sound like he was a repeat offender.  Sounds like he wasn't wanted there for a different reason and had nothing to do with charging his car previously.

If that's the case, why didn't the charge him with trespass?

This sounds like they arrested him because he argued and was a dick more than for theft.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:09:31 pm by rrocket »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 09:06:59 pm »
Always more to the story, eh?   :popo:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »
The officer spent some time trying to determine whose vehicle it was. It was unlocked and he eventually began looking through the interior after verifying it did not belong to the school system.
I get the picture. No press release required  :o
Did the officer have a warrant?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:59 pm »
The officer spent some time trying to determine whose vehicle it was. It was unlocked and he eventually began looking through the interior after verifying it did not belong to the school system.
I get the picture. No press release required  :o
Did the officer have a warrant?

I don't think they need one in the US if the vehicle is suspected of being part of a crime.

VERY different laws over there.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 11:15:10 pm »
Why wouldn't they just open the breaker feeding the exterior sockets? Pretty easy fix and SOP for most public buildings.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 01:54:24 am »
Putting the guy in jail was ridiculous for sure. But since he took something that didn't belong to him I don't mind that he was charged or ticketed. It does get at the bigger issue of who pays for the power to charge electric cars when away from home.

Above all of this, the concept of resource theft is kind of interesting.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 04:46:12 am »
In a nutshell the guy was arrersted for being a dick and a longtime PITA.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 07:59:27 am »
I don't know why the cop didn't simply talk to him, and tell him that, without written permission, he isn't allowed to charge his car elsewhere.

Seems like it went way overboard for whatever reason.  I expect this sort of thing may amplify over the next while, as EVs become more common. 
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.