Author Topic: Winter Driving Tips : Collection  (Read 12520 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: Winter Driving Tips : Collection
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2013, 11:25:49 pm »
My wife and I helped a young guy and his gf who got stuck in the snow storm we're having.  As he rolled down his windows as I approached I noticed he was in shirt sleeves.  It's -20 out and there's a steady 30km/h east wind.  His first words, "I'm not dressed for being stuck."  My first words (couldn't help myself), "Just how does one dress for being stuck?". 

My wife kicked him out of the driver's seat and skillfully reversed the car out of the snowbank while the driver, now dressed in a hoodie, and I pushed.

Point of the story?  We knew the weather was going to close in for our return trip from a soiree in downtown Ottawa.  We dressed appropriately and made sure our emergency supplies were in the trunk and that the w/w fluid washer, etc., were topped off.  You never know....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20:30 am »
My wife and I helped a young guy and his gf who got stuck in the snow storm we're having.  As he rolled down his windows as I approached I noticed he was in shirt sleeves.  It's -20 out and there's a steady 30km/h east wind.  His first words, "I'm not dressed for being stuck."  My first words (couldn't help myself), "Just how does one dress for being stuck?". 

My wife kicked him out of the driver's seat and skillfully reversed the car out of the snowbank while the driver, now dressed in a hoodie, and I pushed.

Point of the story?  We knew the weather was going to close in for our return trip from a soiree in downtown Ottawa.  We dressed appropriately and made sure our emergency supplies were in the trunk and that the w/w fluid washer, etc., were topped off.  You never know....

Always good to plan. Even for the drive up to Fergus today we will be prepared   :) I think many have never been exposed to real winter or forget what can happen when you have to exit a vehicle.

Offline StoneRaizer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
  • Versa Hatchling
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Nissan Versa S Hatchback
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2013, 10:47:23 am »
- Slow the f*** down. Seriously, just because the speed limit is 50/80/100/whatever, if the roads are bad SLOW THE F*** DOWN!!!

- In the city, turn off your highbeams especially when oncoming traffic is approaching. This applies to spring, summer and fall as well but especially in winter. Snow and ice is very reflective and drivers can easily be blinded by the glare of bright lights.

- If a car has anything but black/rusted steelies, assume they're NOT running winter rubber and give extra space.

- Slow the f*** down. Seriously, just because the speed limit is 50/80/100/whatever, if the roads are bad SLOW THE F*** DOWN!!!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2013, 11:43:02 am »

- In the city, turn off your highbeams especially when oncoming traffic is approaching. This applies to spring, summer and fall as well but especially in winter. Snow and ice is very reflective and drivers can easily be blinded by the glare of bright lights.

- If a car has anything but black/rusted steelies, assume they're NOT running winter rubber and give extra space.

With good winter tires, I find it's pretty rare that I can't safely drive at the speed limit. In the middle of a raging storm, no, but that often has as much to do with the visibility as the road surface.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 11:05:41 am »
Solid advice there.   But I have to admit,  I've passed a plow on more than one occasion.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 12:02:28 pm »
Argh he said snow tires!  And yeah, pass them all the time, get outta the way going 40km/h on the highway not fun.  Usually take an exit and get around them if they are tandem.

Northernridge

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 01:31:00 pm »
Check tire pressures as temperatures drop.

Northernridge

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 11:13:52 am »
Why are winter driving tips important? Infant in collision succumbs to injuries

This accident happened a half mile from my place last evening. Traffic lights at a highway intersection, there have been numerous accidents there. Roads were quite slippery with polished snow/ice. Cops say road conditions and speed were factors.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Infant-in-collision-succumbs-to-injuries-236208161.html

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:46 am »
Thats traggic about the baby....jesus, couldnt imagine  :'( Yesterday i was washing my headlights and tailights at work with some windex and paper towel and the guy next door at work comes out for a smoke. He goes "what are you wasting your time with that for, theyll only be dirty in a couple of blocks", I told him that I like to be seen, which his only retort was to roll his eyes and go inside. I dont get why this was such a weird concept, but yeah, always carry some cleaner and paper towel, wash your lights and mirrors if its gooey outside every time you stop.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2013, 11:30:29 am »
Thats traggic about the baby....jesus, couldnt imagine  :'( Yesterday i was washing my headlights and tailights at work with some windex and paper towel and the guy next door at work comes out for a smoke. He goes "what are you wasting your time with that for, theyll only be dirty in a couple of blocks", I told him that I like to be seen, which his only retort was to roll his eyes and go inside. I dont get why this was such a weird concept, but yeah, always carry some cleaner and paper towel, wash your lights and mirrors if its gooey outside every time you stop.

I've always wanted a car with headlight washers.

I can remember a few times stopping on the side of the road in nasty conditions, standing outside of the car with one hand reaching for the wiper stalk, the other wrapped around the front of the windshield, trying to get a squirt of wiper fluid onto an old napkin or piece of tissue, then trying to clean the headlights and tail lights before the napkin turned into a hundred pieces of soggy, brown mush. Yuck.  :P

I carry a pack of baby wipes in the glove compartment now. 1001 uses!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2013, 11:35:42 am »
Oh man, Id kill for headlight washers......and maybe wipers too....

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2013, 12:57:20 pm »
That would be another good tip, take your vehicle to a deserted parking lot and play around with it, see what it does in drifts, know the limits.

It was right after a moderate dump of snow a year or two ago and I remember and some guy and his son were doing donuts in the local mall parking lot. They apparently couldn't/didn't  see the concrete dividers between some of the parking spaces and slid into them broadside. The car was damaged so badly it was written off.

If you're gonna do the deserted parking lot thing, it might be a good idea to reconnoiter first. ;D
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »
That would be another good tip, take your vehicle to a deserted parking lot and play around with it, see what it does in drifts, know the limits.

It was right after a moderate dump of snow a year or two ago and I remember and some guy and his son were doing donuts in the local mall parking lot. They apparently couldn't/didn't  see the concrete dividers between some of the parking spaces and slid into them broadside. The car was damaged so badly it was written off.

If you're gonna do the deserted parking lot thing, it might be a good idea to reconnoiter first. ;D

Oh a recce patrol is definitly a must. Dont want to find planters, curbs, dividers or potholes while sideways.....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2013, 04:58:17 pm »

Both our cars have headlight washers.   ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2013, 05:15:31 pm »
Solid advice there.   But I have to admit,  I've passed a plow on more than one occasion.

As have I.  I passed a bunch of them in a staggered formation in the States coming home during a nasty Nor'Easter.  At the time I wondered whether I was breaking some law but none of my fellow passengers were conversant with US highway codes to that extent.  Certainly no state trooper pulled me (or anyone else) over for doing that.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2013, 05:16:53 pm »

Both our cars have headlight washers.   ;D

Just the sprayers or wipers as well?? Ive wondered how well just the sprayers work especially on the grimy gunk we have around here.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2013, 05:32:37 pm »
^^^
sprayers.  High pressure and work well.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy