Author Topic: AJAC TestFest Category Winners Announced, Mazda Pulls Off Hat Trick  (Read 26883 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: AJAC TestFest Category Winners Announced, Mazda Pulls Off Hat Trick
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:14 pm »
We are not debating the vote counting and accounting methods. It's how the cars are compared to each other and the cross contamination of segments and model packages that muds up the water.

:iagree:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 07:36:29 pm »
As co-chair of this program, I genuinely would like to know exactly what you mean. Can you give me an example.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 07:44:35 pm »
Price, segment, options.....try to keep it the same. Just so you dont have a car cost $10-20K more than the cheapest car in the test section and then it loses the challenge because of cost.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 07:53:45 pm »
Plus the "as tested" price as opposed to MSRP.  For example, the Q50 Hybrid MSRP is ~$47K.  Clearly it's an Under $50K car.  But if the manufacturer sends you one with even a single big ticket option...now it's a $50K+ car category....even though it's the SAME car...(ie driving dynamics, styling, braking, quality, etc)

I think that part is silly for starters....

And the category names need fixing.  "Family Car"?  Isn't a Camry a Family Car?  I'd think a Camry/Fusion/Accord is more of a Family Car in Canada than a Soul, 500L etc..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:03:47 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »
Every year we have this discussion :surrend:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 08:04:37 pm »

We sure do!!  Because AJAC testing is a joke.  FFS...even other car websites make fun of the AJAC testing/categories.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »

And there should be a discussion as the test is obviously flawed, in many peoples minds, whats wrong with some critique. No one is saying get rid of it, just needs changed.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:52 pm »

We sure do!!  Because AJAC testing is a joke.  FFS...even other car websites make fun of the AJAC testing/categories.

Lol...deep breath...I agree, but one year we have only one small SUV, what do we do? another year we have 3 that's much better and it goes on and on for all categories.  Funnier is then the mfg has bragging rights, AJAC pick sign on the roof of the car in the showroom...wow

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »
Plus the "as tested" price as opposed to MSRP.  For example, the Q50 Hybrid MSRP is ~$47K.  Clearly it's an Under $50K car.  But if the manufacturer sends you one with even a single big ticket option...now it's a $50K+ car category....even though it's the SAME car...(ie driving dynamics, styling, braking, quality, etc)

And the category names need fixing.  "Family Car"?  Isn't a Camry a Family Car?  I'd think a Camry/Fusion/Accord is more of a Family Car in Canada than a Soul, 500L etc..

I disagree.  Wagons make much better family cars then sedans. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 11:47:26 pm »

Maybe for your family.  Not mine.  Or anyone I know (except for TurboBob). I know very few people that require a wagon.  Sales numbers back this up...as I'm sure most people buying Accords/Camrys/Fusions have families.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 11:57:32 pm »

Maybe for your family.  Not mine.  Or anyone I know (except for TurboBob). I know very few people that require a wagon.  Sales numbers back this up...as I'm sure most people buying Accords/Camrys/Fusions have families.

Nope.  Families buy CUVS in great numbers these day not to mention SUVS, hatchbacks and minivans , all wagon variations.

Sedans are just not practical enough for families anymore. It's a car of the past. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 11:59:20 pm »

Nope.  Families buy CUVS in great numbers these day not to mention SUVS, hatchbacks and minivans , all wagon variations.

Sedans are just not practical enough for families anymore. It's a car of the past.

WHOA WHOA WHOA....I think the M3 sedan, M5, E63, RS6, CTS-V, G8 might have something to say about your whole "sedans are cars of the past" theory.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:11 am »

Of the top 20 best selling cars in the USA currently, 10 of them are sedans (11 if you count the Focus..but it comes in hatch too), 5 are CUV/SUV and 4 are pickups.

Enough said.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 01:15:14 am »
Great!
Mazda wins again....

And yet can't make a dent in the US market (and here too).
Whats wrong and how can they change that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 01:16:38 am »
Great!
Mazda wins again....

They are obviously doing something wrong.

Their cars often win because they are often the most engaging to drive.  99% of the people could care less about that.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 01:17:58 am »

Of the top 20 best selling cars in the USA currently, 10 of them are sedans (11 if you count the Focus..but it comes in hatch too), 5 are CUV/SUV and 4 are pickups.

Enough said.

Yeah, Amercians gotta get it into their heads to become more European with hatches.
Maybe there is too much stigma associated with hatches that screams cheap. ??? I dunno.

And CUVs are essentially raised hatchbacks.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 01:19:35 am »
Great!
Mazda wins again....

Their cars often win because they are often the most engaging to drive.  99% of the people could care less about that.

What are they doing wrong?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 01:24:45 am »
Great!
Mazda wins again....

You're the Mazda slappy...you tell me.   ;)

For awhile, their MPG wasn't as good as the competition.  And the horrid smiley face styling.  Maybe they forever lost customers due to that?  Did the Ford alliance leave a bad taste in people's mouths?

Beats me....

FWIW...they don't currently have a car that interests me in the least.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 01:28:02 am »
Great!
Mazda wins again....

You're the Mazda slappy...you tell me.   ;)

For awhile, their MPG wasn't as good as the competition.  And the horrid smiley face styling.  Maybe they forever lost customers due to that?  Did the Ford alliance leave a bad taste in people's mouths?

Beats me....

FWIW...they don't currently have a car that interests me in the least.

I hate to be that guy....what about people seeing and hearing about rust....I liked the Miata, 3,5 and 6 were competitive, their SUVs were ok, dont know.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 01:29:53 am »
^^I like what the Miata is about...its mission....but I hate the looks.