Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Acura MDX Elite  (Read 23155 times)

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Acura MDX Elite
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:17 pm »
I keep wondering when Acura are going to ditch the beak-shield. They really need a new design language.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 06:07:45 pm »
I have a friend with a 2010 MDX and he loves it and zero issues to date according to him.....it's definitely the nicest SUV I have been in so far.  It's probably the best product in the Acura fleet at this time IMO.

I hope they fixed some of the issues that people had with 2007-2009 model years.  I've mentioned it before, but I have 2 coworkers with MDXs and here's the list of stuff per vehicle.

2008 MDX Elite (purchased brand new):

1. Bluetooth module went bad draining the battery.  Replaced under warranty.
2. Adaptive rear shock absorbers worn out by 80k kms.  Paid out of pocket for it.
3. Front wheel bearings worn out at 110k kms.  Covered by extended warranty.
4. Timing belt tensioner replaced 3 times under warranty.
5. Steering system gearbox replaced twice under warranty.
6. Front adaptive shock absorbers worn out at 130k kms.  Owner phoned up Acura Canada and complained about this.  Acura Canada covered the cost.
7. Fuel injectors had to be replaced around 60k kms because they were leaking a bit of pressure causing weird start up conditions.
8. Rear main seal replaced twice due to leaking.  Covered under warranty & extended warranty.
9. Acura dealer replaced the battery.  Replacement battery was faulty causing all kinds of weird issues (car dies as you are driving) that they couldn't diagnose.  I pretty quickly figured out it was the battery and they disagreed.  This one boils down to improper training of the techs.  Coming from the electrical background, I knew right away that a bad battery can cause these issues.  Basically, the battery acts like a low pass filter for the noisy/dirty power that the alternate puts out.  If the battery is faulty and goes open circuit, you have dirty power going to the sensitive electronics (ECU/PCM, etc).  These devices are designed to shutdown when this happens, to protect themselves essentially.  Coworker replaced the battery himself after I told him several times to.  Problem solved.  Dealer refunded him the cost of the battery.

2007 MDX Tech (purchased used):
1. Bluetooth module went bad draining the battery.  Acura techs couldn't diagnose the issue and kept blaming the aftermarket remote starter.  I went in and disconnected the bluetooth module and the battery stopped draining.
2. 120k kms, the Catalytic Converter went bad.
3. Timing Belt tensioner went bad at 110k kms.

While these are only 2 cases, I cruising the MDX forums shows how common the following problems are:

1. Wheel Bearings
2. Bluetooth Module
3. Timing Belt Tensioner
4. Catalytic Converter
5. Steering system gearbox
6. Rear Main seal

They must have because he is a regional sales rep, so puts on a lot of kms as a result.  Last time we talked a few weeks ago he had over 300K on it and said no "major" issues to date. 

Offline Think123

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 08:00:43 pm »
I can't remember where I read it (Car and Driver?) but one reviewer described Acura design language as going from offensive to anonymous in their most recent iterations.  I agree as this evolutionary design does nothing for me even if it is the most well rounded luxury utility out there.  Plus the fact that I don't have to worry about being waved at by every mom too and from school thinking that I'm their friend in Pilates class.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:39 am »
Not to turn this into an audiophile discussion but isn't the quality of streaming poor? I sometimes rent movie though Rogers on Demand and sometimes go blueray. With my setup I notice a HUGE difference with the blueray (in both sound and picture) that I've pretty much stopped doing ROD for movies (other than docs where it doesn't matter). I guess the only problem is that I have to rent the bluerays from the last gig in town.

I posted a response over in the dvd players in cars to not derail the MDX talk.

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,86046.msg943943.html#msg943943

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 11:16:41 am »
People with Blu-Ray collections remind of my mom's (now dusty) collection of Disney VHS tapes.   
Blasphemy!  Dust them off!!!  I gander they'll be worth a fortune to some idiot (err, collector).
My main point was just that physical media really doesn't matter.  It's all just digital data so why store on flimsy, large plastic discs when you can fit 100 high-quality 1080p movies on a device as small as your  pen!s.   
How small is your pen!s?  Most flash drives are less than 2" long.
Other than yankin' your chain (pun sort of intended), I agree - physical media is so passe (:rofl:).  Tablets (not garnering any brand preference) are far better, so long as you have USB car chargers to ensure batteries don't die on road trips.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22:07 am »
Hey guys, just a quick addition to my review after having read a number of comments on the 3500 pound towing capacity. I got that information from the media kit accompanying the car. However someone contacted me privately and pointed out that the MDX is, in fact, available with its old 5000 pound towing capacity if you buy an optional transmission oil cooler. I was able to confirm this.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:45 am »
Hey guys, just a quick addition to my review after having read a number of comments on the 3500 pound towing capacity. I got that information from the media kit accompanying the car. However someone contacted me privately and pointed out that the MDX is, in fact, available with its old 5000 pound towing capacity if you buy an optional transmission oil cooler. I was able to confirm this.

Nice work Tom.  I think this is a great idea for other MNFRs to follow - most ppl don't need increased towing limits, so maybe it isn't necessary to have all the requisite hardware standard (like the transmission oil cooler).  But have them available as warranty-approved dealer-installed options - it's win/win/win.  The MNFR can reduce cost while still meeting customers' needs, the customer who wants increased towing capacity will have more vehicles to choose from - even if it costs a little more money for accessories, and of course, the dealership makes a few extra bucks.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 11:45:59 am »
I thought kids just play on the iPad or something.

Not at that age yet.  Yep, she'll soon just take my tablet and play with that.. maybe next year.  Then the DVD will be for her younger sibling due to arrive in March 2014.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »

Nice work Tom.  I think this is a great idea for other MNFRs to follow - most ppl don't need increased towing limits, so maybe it isn't necessary to have all the requisite hardware standard (like the transmission oil cooler).  But have them available as warranty-approved dealer-installed options - it's win/win/win.  The MNFR can reduce cost while still meeting customers' needs, the customer who wants increased towing capacity will have more vehicles to choose from - even if it costs a little more money for accessories, and of course, the dealership makes a few extra bucks.

:iagree:   Darn, now I have to decide that if I choose an MDX down the road, whether to get this generation or the last generation.  You can get a 2010 MDX with tech pkg, with about 60k for about $30,000.  We will see I guess....

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
For less $$$, I do prefer the 2014 Infiniti Q50 TDI!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 09:37:37 pm »
For less $$$, I do prefer the 2014 Infiniti Q50 TDI!

the what?  tdi?  even if it was available in North America, how do we know if it would be less money?  especially in Canada?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 03:21:47 am »

Great work on the update!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dbq

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:42 pm »
I can think of 3 things Acura/Honda could do to improve the MDX

- put in a diesel engine to improve fuel economy (the MDX's fuel economy is horrendous and this alone means I won't be buying another one, much as I like driving it)
- the second row seats should be 40/20/40 (much better for carrying long narrow items like skis if you can just fold down the middle section of the second row)
- install an 8 speed gearbox (this should also help fuel economy)

This all seems pretty obvious to me and I am surprised Acura/Honda didn't think to include these improvements in the latest model.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 06:24:12 am »

- put in a diesel engine to improve fuel economy (the MDX's fuel economy is horrendous and this alone means I won't be buying another one, much as I like driving it)
- the second row seats should be 40/20/40 (much better for carrying long narrow items like skis if you can just fold down the middle section of the second row)

This all seems pretty obvious to me and I am surprised Acura/Honda didn't think to include these improvements in the latest model.

What kind of fuel economy did you expect out of a large, sport-oriented SUV with 315 horsepower?

The thing drinks fuel but you're a fool if you expected otherwise. It is what it is.

+1...it's a rather large suv, so I wouldn't expect stellar fuel economy even with an 8-speed tranny... ::)   There are and were much better options if fuel economy is a big concern.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 10:45:42 pm »

What kind of fuel economy did you expect out of a large, sport-oriented SUV with 315 horsepower?

The thing drinks fuel but you're a fool if you expected otherwise. It is what it is.
TDI + 8 speed tranny should solve your concern regarding fuel consumption. So you don't look like a "fool" anymore.
Bombastic

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2013, 11:48:25 am »

Northernridge

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:53 am »
I like that…pre-emptive recalls.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2013, 11:53:04 am »

Thats fine.
Just don't think differently when Ford is making a recall.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 10:50:46 am »

Thats fine.

It takes Ford a few engine fires before they even start thinking about it.
Honda doesn't wait for anything bad to happen. You can't seriously compare a potentially loose bolt that a manufacturer is raising to a recall level to an engine fire, can you?
Kudos to Honda.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »

Thats fine.

There is a difference between doing before anything bad happens or waiting till you BBQ a few cars.......