Author Topic: Chevy Could Take On Fiesta ST With Hotter Sonic  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Chevy Could Take On Fiesta ST With Hotter Sonic
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:52:11 pm »

NA President would like to see high-performance Sonic above RS model

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Chevy Could Take On Fiesta ST With Hotter Sonic
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »
GM...hot hatchback??

:shake:

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:58:53 pm »
GM...hot hatchback??

The fact you commented so quickly scares me.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »
If GM could do to a version of the Sonic's 1.4 turbo the same as AMG did to the M-B 2.0 turbo...that would do it.
Only trouble is I think the AMG engine is a complete rework even to being a different block casting.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:00:00 pm »
GM...hot hatchback??

You forgot the chevy vega with a 350.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 08:03:45 pm »
They could easily do a parts bin hop up by dropping in the 2.0 turbo but I doubt they will.  Too bad, GM was a major player when I was a kid but now it's rare to find find anyone who buys a GM product for any reason other then they got a great deal on it. 

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 08:10:25 pm »
They could but they won't.
When was the last time Chevy truly competed on performance versions of their mainstream cars? Best effort lately I can think of was the Cobalt SS but despite its performance it still fell down because the basic car itself was not very good.

They always half azz it when it comes to this stuff.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:57:23 pm »
They could easily do a parts bin hop up by dropping in the 2.0 turbo but I doubt they will.  Too bad, GM was a major player when I was a kid but now it's rare to find find anyone who buys a GM product for any reason other then they got a great deal on it.

To my knowledge the 2.0 Turbo does not fit the Gamma platform.  However GM does have a new 1.6 Turbo that could put out 190 - 200 HP and could find itself in the Sonic.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:55:57 am »

To my knowledge the 2.0 Turbo does not fit the Gamma platform.  However GM does have a new 1.6 Turbo that could put out 190 - 200 HP and could find itself in the Sonic.
After watching those videos of the offset crash test I wonder if "fitting" in the example of fitting a different engine into a body shell is not far more complex that it appears.   If the iron lump in the engine bay is a different size and shape, how are the crash test results changed?    Extreme example: These V8 Miatas that people make. Can the nose crush at all when it is full of solid iron from side to side? And if the nose doesn't crush in a controlled fashion, where do the forces go...into the driver I think.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »

After watching those videos of the offset crash test I wonder if "fitting" in the example of fitting a different engine into a body shell is not far more complex that it appears.   If the iron lump in the engine bay is a different size and shape, how are the crash test results changed?    Extreme example: These V8 Miatas that people make. Can the nose crush at all when it is full of solid iron from side to side? And if the nose doesn't crush in a controlled fashion, where do the forces go...into the driver I think.

I'd say there is far too little difference in size to effect crash tests.  I'd also be very surprised if it didn't fit.  The car is plenty wide enough for a 2.0 and the front rear difference would only be a couple inches.  Height is the only worry and if needed they could give the hood a "power budge".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 08:30:57 pm »

I read that as well, they wanted to add the 2.0L to the Encore as an option, but it doesn't fit. 

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:53:44 am »

I read that as well, they wanted to add the 2.0L to the Encore as an option, but it doesn't fit.

Yup, it doesn't fit.