Author Topic: Lithium-Sulphur Could Replace Lithium-Ion As Battery Tech Advances  (Read 8024 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

New composition of Lithium-Sulphur eliminates life cycle problems, cheaper than Lithium-Ion

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Lithium-Sulphur Could Replace Lithium-Ion As Battery Tech Advances
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »
I just knew before reading that Graphene would be in there somewhere.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:59:31 pm »
I just knew before reading that Graphene would be in there somewhere.

It's pretty exciting stuff, I think. The properties of it are just incredible.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:41 pm »
Mmmm MORE SULPHUR.......just egging U on ::) :P :fall: ..can we not get the message that full electrics are
eons away.....a wind turbine on an old Impala has more chance..so Mc Squinty in his golden retirement says..... :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:55:47 am »
Lithium-Air batteries will be more promising...not sure what's taking so long for commercialization.  I can't find anything to indicate that they're having difficulties.

In any event, any battery tech that could keep the Boeing 787 in the air, among other faltered uses of LiIon batteries, is a welcomed addition.

I just wish the time from invention to commercialization wasn't so bloody long.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:08:29 am »
Lithium Ion is just a generic term for Lithium rechargeable batteries.  Technically Lithium Sulphur and Lithium Air both fall as a subset of Lithium Ion chemistries.

Lithium Air currently exists only as a proven concept.  No battery even exists yet with the chemistry. First they need to figure out how to expand the concept into something people can actually use.  Then comes the hard part.  They have to figure out how to mass produce it.  Lithium Air is 10 years out minimum.  Lithium Sulphur however is closer to reality as it is closer aligned to existing Lithium Ion based chemistry manufacturing.

There will be a huge number of technological evolutions of Lithium Ion chemistries on both the anode and cathode sides of the battery.  It's expected that chemistries will increase in density by 8% per year and will have a corresponding decrease in cost.   So far in the last few years these expectations have been exceeded.

http://insideevs.com/gm-director-of-global-research-and-development-says-there-are-battery-prototypes-out-there-with-400whkg/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:15:16 am by Neromanceres »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:58:19 am »
... ::) :P .....

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 01:09:49 pm »
BC Hydro just annouced they are raising rates by 25% with more likely to follow.  By the time batteries are cheap and powerful enough to be mainstream useful it will be cheaper to run your car on gasoline.

Got my cynical hat on today.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 01:36:07 pm »
6.9˘/kWh up to 1350kWh and 10.34˘/kWh above the threshold are pretty low rates to begin with.

SaskPower residential rates are 11.37˘/kWh across the board. Most eastern jurisdiction are between 12˘ and 15˘/kWh.

https://www.bchydro.com/accounts-billing/customer-service-residential/residential-rates.html

http://www.saskpower.com/accounts-and-services/service-rates/residential-standard-rates/

http://www.nbpower.com/html/en/residential/rates/comparisons.html
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »
6.9˘/kWh up to 1350kWh and 10.34˘/kWh above the threshold are pretty low rates to begin with.

SaskPower residential rates are 11.37˘/kWh across the board. Most eastern jurisdiction are between 12˘ and 15˘/kWh.

https://www.bchydro.com/accounts-billing/customer-service-residential/residential-rates.html

http://www.saskpower.com/accounts-and-services/service-rates/residential-standard-rates/

http://www.nbpower.com/html/en/residential/rates/comparisons.html

That's true.  It would have to go up a lot.  I'm alway below the threshood so I've gotten used to cheap rates.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
The advantages of running on hydro power. Quebec Hydro rates are pretty low too.

Around here it's mostly thermal plants, with a bit of hydro and wind.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/521651/graphene-supercapacitors-ready-for-electric-vehicle-energy-storage-say-korean-engineers/
Very inspiring. If graphene supercaps can be produced inexpensively that would lead to plug-in and regular hybrids "on steroids", because of their ability to draw and release huge amounts of energy in bursts. They are however low in power density so they won't be replacing Li-ion batteries just yet.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/521651/graphene-supercapacitors-ready-for-electric-vehicle-energy-storage-say-korean-engineers/
Very inspiring. If graphene supercaps can be produced inexpensively that would lead to plug-in and regular hybrids "on steroids", because of their ability to draw and release huge amounts of energy in bursts. They are however low in power density so they won't be replacing Li-ion batteries just yet.
I wonder if you could solve the refueling problem with a supercap.    Charge that in a couple of minutes, '000 of amps at '000 of volts,  and then relatively slowly discharge it into the traction battery.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 08:58:19 pm »
I suppose, if there is powerful enough DC charger and that will be pricy. If you ask me 20-30 min quick DC charge is reasonable enough: plug it in, head to the adjacent Timmy, when u r back it's charged.
IMO it is currently all about price VS range for electrics. 100-120 km real life range may get you to and from work, but that's equal to 1/4 gas tank left in an ICE car, and that amount of gas remaining is enough to make lots of today's motorists nervous and on the lookout for a gas station.
Now 50kWh (150 mile range) future Leaf  is like having half full or half empty tank - depending on one's attitude toward life- and that I think maybe a golden middle.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 09:31:05 am »
I prefer the Tesla Model S's 400+km range.  Even with the heater on, a full charge will get ya 200km easily.  That's a helluvalot better at easing my range anxiety (unless I'm driving beyond Guelph from Toronto)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »
I prefer the Tesla Model S's 400+km range.  Even with the heater on, a full charge will get ya 200km easily.  That's a helluvalot better at easing my range anxiety (unless I'm driving beyond Guelph from Toronto)

Everybody does  :D
The big question is if Nissan's 150 mile range car can be made sooner and sold for much less than the Tesla's upcoming 200 mile ppl mover. It's about the price of the perceived comfort zone. 150 mile EPA range would work for me but I would insist on buying the car and leasing the battery for 4-5 years. If lease payments plus cost of electricity is cheaper than the otherwise cost of gas than I'm game.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22:53 am »
I think the 95% usage is the problem - also explains why pick-ups sell so well.  Many consumers are afraid to buy a car with limited usage, even if they, at the time of purchase, have no need for the extra space.

My brother's buying a minivan to replace his rogue because he has 2 child seats.  His Rogue is a 2-seater (children excluded), so if they ever want to go out with friends, they can't carpool.  Is that really a big deal?  To them, it is.  In the 2 years that they've had the Rogue, they've "needed" to drive friends all of twice.

My daily commute is 13.6km each way.  Gets cold, so even 100km range would give me some anxiety for putting on the heater, radio, etc.  At 150mi (240ish km), I'd be more inclined, but fear for when I want to go skiing on a weekend, etc.  Even as a second car to an ICE, I don't think I'm ready for something that can't be refuelled quickly on the go.  I also wouldn't be willing to sacrifice an extra 30 mins to charge a car on a longer trip if there were free supercharging stations.  As much as I'd like to love electrics, I think hybrids are the way of the future.  To wit, I think the Volt's powertrain is really the smartest, though it could be far, far better (small diesel generator, better battery tech, exhaust heat recovery to warm the battery, etc).

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »
Good points. I get it totally. The Volt type of powertrains I don't dig for the reasons of redundancy, weight and cost of using TWO full "engines" in one car. You need that range extender once is a while but you haul around all the extra iron every day. Same applies, to a lesser degree, to BMW i3 with a low power range extender.
What I think would be a great compromise is for occasional journeys to offer people a small trailer type range extender instead of a conventional loaner ICE car. It would be cheaper for automakers to keep them in stock and ready and we wouldn't need to change cars, just stop by the dealer's, hook up the generator behind and off we go.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:27 pm »
Good points. I get it totally. The Volt type of powertrains I don't dig for the reasons of redundancy, weight and cost of using TWO full "engines" in one car. You need that range extender once is a while but you haul around all the extra iron every day. Same applies, to a lesser degree, to BMW i3 with a low power range extender.
What I think would be a great compromise is for occasional journeys to offer people a small trailer type range extender instead of a conventional loaner ICE car. It would be cheaper for automakers to keep them in stock and ready and we wouldn't need to change cars, just stop by the dealer's, hook up the generator behind and off we go.

the A1 e-tron was pretty cool in that it used a tiny rotary as the generator power plant, minimizing weight.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 11:08:29 pm »
Good points. I get it totally. The Volt type of powertrains I don't dig for the reasons of redundancy, weight and cost of using TWO full "engines" in one car. You need that range extender once is a while but you haul around all the extra iron every day. ...

But a hybrid does not suffer greatly from hauling extra weight around.  This thinking is left over from cars that waste all the energy dissipated when braking. 

Yes, all cars including hybrids have to expend more energy to get extra weight uphill or moving faster.  But while a non-hybrid eventually wastes all that energy, a hybrid recovers most of it by having to do more engine braking on steep downhills or regenerative braking to slow down the extra weight.  Though there must be other factors, my  Escape Hybrid has gotten its best mileage while on long trips and loaded with people and baggage.
And some cretins think I hate cars.