Author Topic: Autos.ca Comparison Tests Steering Committee  (Read 195059 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Autos.ca Comparison Tests Steering Committee
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »
Jonathan, yes that's the kind of table I was looking for.  I read the article, didn't go through all the pictures.  Since it's more text than pictures, maybe it could be considered the last page of the article....

That table was embedded on the last page!!

Oh sorry, must be the new layout, combined with this 10" screen that sometimes I miss the stuff on the bottom...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »
Dunno if it's been mentioned but one of the things that bugs me in these comparison tests (and it's hardly limited to autos.ca) is that you get a group of cars with very diverse prices and equipment levels but they are judged as if that's the only model available.

It could make sense to sometimes mention that a more comparable model is available and at what price, and factor that into the scoring. In the case of the Focus, you know that a $1500 leather/sunroof package won't have any bearing on acceleration, handling, fuel economy, etc. But it does have a bearing on price.

Also, any formula that places a car that no one really likes higher than other cars simply due to price (Sentra vs Focus in the latest comparison) is flawed IMO.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:12 pm »

Also, any formula that places a car that no one really likes higher than other cars simply due to price (Sentra vs Focus in the latest comparison) is flawed IMO.

It didn't. As it says in the article,  It scored top or near top in price, fuel economy, back seat space and cargo  space.
They are all vital categories, especially in this demographic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:38:00 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »

It didn't. As it says in the article,  It scored top or near top in price, fuel economy, back seat space and cargo  space.
They are all vital categorie, esp ecially in this demographic.

Sure, but it didn't sound like the Sentra was actually liked at all.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2013, 03:57:08 pm »
"liked" can mean so much though... no one generally "likes" the corolla, but we can still say that it's a decent car and probably the car to buy for a big group of people... much like the sentra.

it's like the 3 always winning everything... i'd say there is a bigger group of people that appreciate a bigger back seat, better fuel economy, and better cargo when compared to those that like a good, engaging drive.

in the end... i really don't know what more can be done... none of these reviews from any source will ever be perfect... because every person has different priorities and such... all you can do is look at as many sources as you can and glean value that way.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »
How do U test the "Steering Committee"..........for "FEEL".."SLOPPINESS"  .."TURNING RADIUS"

"HEATED" discussions!!.. ;) ..and when 10 to 2 or 9 to three.... 8) :o >:(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2013, 09:09:43 am »
"liked" can mean so much though... no one generally "likes" the corolla, but we can still say that it's a decent car and probably the car to buy for a big group of people... much like the sentra.

it's like the 3 always winning everything... i'd say there is a bigger group of people that appreciate a bigger back seat, better fuel economy, and better cargo when compared to those that like a good, engaging drive.
in the end... i really don't know what more can be done... none of these reviews from any source will ever be perfect... because every person has different priorities and such... all you can do is look at as many sources as you can and glean value that way.

The 3 doesn't just keep winning because of it's engaging drive.  It's the balance of one of the best fuel economy in it's class, and 3rd highest in cargo room, great value, and style.   

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2013, 09:10:38 am »
It's also the second best selling compact car in Canada -- gotta be a reason besides price.

EDIT:  Oh looks like this year it may be the Elantra or Corolla in second.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:12:16 am by wing »

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »
On a totally different tac, I'd like to see an EV comparison test.  A selection of 3 or 4 all electric vehicles plus perhaps a plugin Prius and Volt for comparison.

It would give a good window on the future and could start a trend.  Also, having something this unique would not hurt your long term search engine rankings either.

If you had long term (200,000+ km) operating costs for cars, it would be an interesting comparison of ICE vs full EV vs part-time EV.  The fuels costs are only part of the story and maintenance has to be included.

A new effort so a big initial load on the staff.  At least one EV should be thrown into every comparison for reference since many categories now have an EV which is at least close or a hybrid which is very close to the market focus.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2013, 01:29:49 pm »
I'd love to get an EV as a long term car -- would be interesting to see the savings as so far the most I've ever had one was 3 days.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2013, 02:15:51 pm »
true cost of EV should keep this in mind:
http://www.popsci.com/article/cars/life-tesla-model-s-even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains

Good for the Volt and Leaf, by the way.  Come on, Tesla, by the way.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:57 pm »
On a totally different tac, I'd like to see an EV comparison test.  A selection of 3 or 4 all electric vehicles plus perhaps a plugin Prius and Volt for comparison.

It would give a good window on the future and could start a trend.  Also, having something this unique would not hurt your long term search engine rankings either.

If you had long term (200,000+ km) operating costs for cars, it would be an interesting comparison of ICE vs full EV vs part-time EV.  The fuels costs are only part of the story and maintenance has to be included.

A new effort so a big initial load on the staff.  At least one EV should be thrown into every comparison for reference since many categories now have an EV which is at least close or a hybrid which is very close to the market focus.

Cheers,
John M.

Sadly neither work nor my apartment building has a charge point, so I can't do any EVs. Shame, because I'd LOVE to do a story on the Volt.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 02:44:20 pm »
You don't have a block heater plug at your apartment?  That's odd.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »
You don't have a block heater plug at your apartment?  That's odd.

I've had three different apartment spaces since I've been here, haven't had one in any of them.
Not sure that is actually all that odd in Toronto.
Why would you need a plug in a covered carpark? They don't drop in temperature that badly, it's not like it's outside.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:13 pm »
I guess it's not cold enough there ;).  You should move someplace colder lol

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 03:07:44 pm »
Block heater in a garage? in Ontario? nahh!  What's next carpet in the garage so the tires stay warm?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:08 am »
What's next carpet in the garage so the tires stay warm?

YES!  My poor little tires have feelings too!

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »
Dunno if it's been mentioned but one of the things that bugs me in these comparison tests (and it's hardly limited to autos.ca) is that you get a group of cars with very diverse prices and equipment levels but they are judged as if that's the only model available.

It could make sense to sometimes mention that a more comparable model is available and at what price, and factor that into the scoring. In the case of the Focus, you know that a $1500 leather/sunroof package won't have any bearing on acceleration, handling, fuel economy, etc. But it does have a bearing on price.

We try to match them as evenly as possible, letting the manufacturers know what the competing equipment levels will be - but sometimes we're given only what's available.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
"Sadly neither work nor my apartment building has a charge point"

Get one of those generator exercise bikes.  You can not only do the EV test but qualify for the Olympics.  Sleep when you're dead.

Also, if the publication has the budget, you could pop for a rental parking space near a plug.  Are there any fast charge outlets in your area?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2013, 05:57:18 pm »
Here is a link with a map of Sun Country charging stations.  I don't know how many companies have set up stations in Canada but there have to be a few.

https://suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip-planner/#.Up-ysuITV8E

Maybe Autos.ca could put you up in a 5 star hotel near one of these stations for the duration of the test.  Just trying to be helpful.

Cheers,
John M.