Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:29:05 am »

GM return to the small pickup market with the Colorado, hoping to capture some customers looking to downsize from big trucks and the few remaining competitors in this segment.

Read More...

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:14:27 am »
This is the size truck we originally wanted before buying a Ram.

The Tacoma was too much for too little, and GM was taking too long to bring these to market for us. The key will be cost, in my mind. With the constant deals on full size trucks, and the advances in fuel economy, these will need to be very compelling in price.

They look very nice from the previews.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:10 am »
This is the size truck we originally wanted before buying a Ram.

The Tacoma was too much for too little, and GM was taking too long to bring these to market for us. The key will be cost, in my mind. With the constant deals on full size trucks, and the advances in fuel economy, these will need to be very compelling in price.

They look very nice from the previews.

You hit it on the head. If those key points are addressed I see a market for this decent looking truck. Even a future for me, if the diesel pans out.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:59:02 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:23:38 am »
Idiots....they should have led with the Duramax... ::) That would have given them a huge advantage over any other compact/mid size truck, now, a large chunk of people are going to wait till 2016.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:27:19 am »
Ridgeline replacement?

Offline woozy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: subaru
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 11:27:45 am »
Idiots....they should have led with the Duramax... ::) That would have given them a huge advantage over any other compact/mid size truck, now, a large chunk of people are going to wait till 2016.

Considering the trucks won't be available until next fall...I'm thinking that the minority that want only the diesel will not have long to wait after launch.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 11:36:50 am »

Considering the trucks won't be available until next fall...I'm thinking that the minority that want only the diesel will not have long to wait after launch.

I dont see getting this truck with any other motor.....if you are going to give up all the capabilities of a 1/2 ton at least you should enjoy really good mileage.

Offline woozy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: subaru
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:45:58 am »

I dont see getting this truck with any other motor.....if you are going to give up all the capabilities of a 1/2 ton at least you should enjoy really good mileage.

I agree completely. That said, I think the majority of buyers will go gas.

I like this truck much more than the global version...I hope it's a huge success and priced reasonably. It may be my next vehicle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:47:57 am »

I agree completely. That said, I think the majority of buyers will go gas.

I like this truck much more than the global version...I hope it's a huge success and priced reasonably. It may be my next vehicle.

You think that the majority will be gas?? I hope this does well, then Toyota can replace that Taco with a proper Hilux, Mitsubishi can bring in its L-200 and Nissan can bring in their Navara diesels and we will have proper mid size trucks!!!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 11:57:40 am »
Fob, i disagree.  ( ;D for once!!)

mid size trucks don't need huge capability, nor big diesel..  just good price, good interior and decent 4/6 bangers gasser.

i know you and some real truck users use the trucks for what they are built for, but majority of trucks in town are just a lifted up grocery getters.  in my townhouse complex (less than 70 units) we have 30+ trucks with empty beds....

i see the appeal of mid size trucks, and i think it will come back as preferred choice in commuter trucks, as full size half tons are getting kind of out of hand on the size..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »
Any chance of a 6 speed manual? That would put it a the short list for me.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 12:11:10 pm »
Fob, i disagree.  ( ;D for once!!)

mid size trucks don't need huge capability, nor big diesel..  just good price, good interior and decent 4/6 bangers gasser.

i know you and some real truck users use the trucks for what they are built for, but majority of trucks in town are just a lifted up grocery getters.  in my townhouse complex (less than 70 units) we have 30+ trucks with empty beds....

i see the appeal of mid size trucks, and i think it will come back as preferred choice in commuter trucks, as full size half tons are getting kind of out of hand on the size..

No Im not saying they should have the same capability as 1/2 tons....that would be silly. Im just saying that they should offer some really big advantages in order to attract people, pricing, mileage...something. Up until now the only thing they offered was that they were smaller and easier to park.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 12:40:25 pm »
looking at the pictures, the back seems pretty tight.   
seems more like the Frontier back seats (really tight) than the Tacoma's 4-door (lots of room)

if they could keep the price down and stop throwing away $10K on the half ton trucks, these would sell much more.   That can't happen until Ford and Dodge get back in the game.   If they had any brains, the GM suits would have called Ford and Chrysler and told them we're making a small truck again and listen, make one too.  If we stop the big discounts on the 1/2 tons we'll sell plenty. 

Until they stop offering the huge discounts, the only people buying these are those that really, absolutely don't want the 1/2 ton size.  There's no price advantage or now no fuel advantage...
like Fobroader stated the only real "advantage" reason is size.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »
seems more like the Frontier back seats (really tight) than the Tacoma's 4-door (lots of room)

if they could keep the price down and stop throwing away $10K on the half ton trucks, these would sell much more.   That can't happen until Ford and Dodge get back in the game.   If they had any brains, the GM suits would have called Ford and Chrysler and told them we're making a small truck again and listen, make one too.  If we stop the big discounts on the 1/2 tons we'll sell plenty. 

Until they stop offering the huge discounts, the only people buying these are those that really, absolutely don't want the 1/2 ton size.  There's no price advantage or now no fuel advantage...

OY....you leave my $10-12K on the hood of 1/2 tons alone!!!  ;D

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 12:44:49 pm »
Ridgeline replacement?

One of my initial thoughts too, but the two drive very differently, at least with the previous gen Colorado. The Colorado offers more options and configurations and theoretically has a wider customer base if they get the price right. The Ridgeline is still a bit of a niche and thus can compete in the mid-$30k truck-ish market. The Colorado not so much when its big brother is priced the same.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 02:12:24 pm »
What would be really cool is if these small trucks, since they are small, could offer an 8 foot box.
Now that would be earthshaking!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 03:24:25 pm »
What would be really cool is if these small trucks, since they are small, could offer an 8 foot box.

Jumbo Shrimp
Live recording
8ft box on a small truck

Above are all examples of an oxymoron. Here's an idea....just get the bigger truck i.e.1500
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:32:29 pm by redman »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »

Jumbo Shrimp
Live recording
8ft box on a small truck

Above are all examples of an oxymoron.

These had either a 7 1/2 or 8' bed

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 03:51:02 pm »

OY....you leave my $10-12K on the hood of 1/2 tons alone!!!  ;D

:rofl:

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 08:48:27 pm »

Unfortunately, just five and six foot.

I could never understand why Dodge and Ford canned their small trucks. Frig, I love my Dakota - if it wasn't such disgusting pig on gas, I'd drive it all the time.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!