Author Topic: Heated Steering Wheels - should be mandatory!  (Read 10671 times)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: Heated Steering Wheels - should be mandatory!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:28 pm »
It's not like the heated wheel instantly heats up.  But it is nice.  Kind of like drinking a nice warm cup of cocoa it heats you all inside and makes you feel fuzzy warm.

But not really, since you have to hold the steering wheel a specific way etc.

Jacob is it your first year?  Perhaps you'll get the Camp4 experience with Porsche that they do every year.  It's usually pretty nippy in Tremblant mid feb.

First year driving, second winter. Last year I didn't drive at all in winter, only like one day in an AutoShare car (I had to dig it out of a snowbank, and I stupidly did it with bare hands - it hurt.)

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »
Maybe gloves should come with the car (to save on heat steering wheel costs).

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
There was no option "Heated steering wheel" available when I ordered my Volt from factory early 2012.
The 2014 ELR will have it, I hope the 2015 volt would have it too in option (and few others)!

(Leather) Heated seat is a must in electric car but it would definitively be a plus (read comfortable) combined with a heated steering, especially when you don't want draw too much energy for cabin heating. I keep a permanent pair of gloves in my Volt, just it case it become too chilly, inside !  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:25:24 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »
What about a heated gearshift? You could tell folks you have a hot knob!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »

:rofl2: Maybe this would resolve the problem that a bunch of people have on here, the significant other not wanting to drive stick......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »

:rofl:

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 05:19:59 pm »

:rofl2: Maybe this would resolve the problem that a bunch of people have on here, the significant other not wanting to drive stick......

To this day I still tell my wife (and anyone else) that I don't know how to drive automatic.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:30 pm »

To this day I still tell my wife (and anyone else) that I don't know how to drive automatic.

HAHAHAHAHA...hmmm...should tell my buddies about that one.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 05:27:20 pm »

Fob, you didn't know?  there's a separate endorsement/classification for driving Automatic!!!  look at the back of your driver's license man!!      ;D ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 05:29:03 pm »

Fob, you didn't know?  there's a separate endorsement/classification for driving Automatic!!!  look at the back of your driver's license man!!      ;D ;D

Im good, the little lady knows and really enjoys driving standard....but I could help out a lot of my friends....thank you kind citizen!!!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:31 am »
Mate, it is so cold that my wife can't find some parts of my body.

Get her a magnifying glass.  :rofl2:
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 09:55:58 am »
I find that the high temp of a black leather steering wheel after the cars has been in the sun for a few hours is worse than a cold wheel.   And I don't wear gloves to drive( I am in sunny warm southern Ont after all)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 09:57:31 am »
I find that the high temp of a black leather steering wheel after the cars has been in the sun for a few hours is worse than a cold wheel.   And I don't wear gloves to drive( I am in sunny warm southern Ont after all)

Nah, I'm from the land of 45+ degrees and I can tell you that even a hot wheel is easy to deal with - spray a bit of water on it = job done.
Cold wheels are way worse.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 10:02:28 am »
Heated Steering Wheels - should be mandatory!

I never had them so I don't care yet. However I believe cars without standard heated seats should be banned from sale in Canada.  I have a conspiracy theory that dealers actually prefer not having heated seats included in the base model so they can sell the higher trim level or best yet their service of installing the heaters, where I would suspect it's a matter of connecting two wires to a switch, but it costs around 500. Thoughts?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 10:06:39 am »
I never had them so I don't care yet. However I believe cars without standard heated seats should be banned from sale in Canada.  I have a conspiracy theory that dealers actually prefer not having heated seats included in the base model so they can sell the higher trim level or best yet their service of installing the heaters, where I would suspect it's a matter of connecting two wires to a switch, but it costs around 500. Thoughts?

So your theory is that automotive manufacturers include the heating element in all the seats, but only connect it in ones where the option is selected? So they pay $XX for the heating elements and material even when it's not being used?
I see a hole in your theory.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 10:13:21 am »
Both our cars have heated wheels. For me it's a "nice to have but not a big deal" thing. For my wife no heated wheel is very nearly a deal breaker. (She bought the Mini Cooper S convertible without one but it had blinded her with it's cuteness so she wasn't really paying attention  ;D)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 10:22:14 am »

So your theory is that automotive manufacturers include the heating element in all the seats, but only connect it in ones where the option is selected? So they pay $XX for the heating elements and material even when it's not being used?
I see a hole in your theory.

Thats why I called it a conspiracy theory. Maybe people in the know can confirm. I would not be surprised though as there are things in cars as XM readiness or an option to enable a GPS for example.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:07 am »
Love the steering wheel heater. I will look for this option in all future cars.

My 2011 328 has heated steering wheel, great (fast acting) seat heaters and blows great heat. However during a week of -25C weather last year all my accessories shut down as computer sensed the battery had fallen below 60% charge. They would not work until battery charged itself up again.

So I have all this great stuff but the charging system is not powerful enough to keep them going in bitterly cold weather when you need it most.

PS: I am writing a bit tongue in cheek as car's defence I was taking multiple short drives in very cold weather. So it is not unexpected to have battery stressed.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 10:35:03 am »

So I have all this great stuff but the charging system is not powerful enough to keep them going in bitterly cold weather when you need it most.

My in-laws experienced the same thing last year during a cold spell.  A lot of short city trips with all heaters cranked , both seats and the steering wheel, drained the battery to the point where the car wouldn't start.  Had to call CAA.

Their X3 obviously didn't have the warning feature.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:45 am »

My in-laws experienced the same thing last year during a cold spell.  A lot of short city trips with all heaters cranked , both seats and the steering wheel, drained the battery to the point where the car wouldn't start.  Had to call CAA.

Their X3 obviously didn't have the warning feature.

For people who put a car through a rough life like that, a trickle charger isnt a bad idea just to keep the battery topped up.