Author Topic: LA Auto Show: Hyundai Elantra Lineup Receiving Host Of Upgrades For 2014  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Elantra and Elantra GT to get "Nu" 2.0L four-cylinder with increased output; sedan receives refreshed styling

Read More...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: LA Auto Show: Hyundai Elantra Lineup Receiving Host Of Upgrades For 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:06:11 pm »
SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS
Elantra comes equipped with a standard six-speed manual or an available six-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC® manual control. The Elantra’s six-speed manual transmission optimizes engine performance while providing a crisp shift action. These positive shifts are courtesy of triple-cone synchronizers for first and second gears, double-cone for third gear, and single-cone for fourth, fifth, and sixth gears.

Colour me impressed, that's the longest blurb I've seen for manual transmissions in quite awhile for mass produced cars.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:23 pm »
I'm guessing they won't be advertising the engine name too much in QC - "Nu" means "naked" in French  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:36:51 pm »
SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS
Elantra comes equipped with a standard six-speed manual or an available six-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC® manual control. The Elantra’s six-speed manual transmission optimizes engine performance while providing a crisp shift action. These positive shifts are courtesy of triple-cone synchronizers for first and second gears, double-cone for third gear, and single-cone for fourth, fifth, and sixth gears.

Colour me impressed, that's the longest blurb I've seen for manual transmissions in quite awhile for mass produced cars.

As long as I'm writing these press releases, I'll continue to put proper emphasis on the manual (proper) gearbox.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:00 pm »
SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS

As long as I'm writing these press releases, I'll continue to put proper emphasis on the manual (proper) gearbox.

:cheers:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »
I'm guessing they won't be advertising the engine name too much in QC - "Nu" means "naked" in French  ;D

Lol...it will be fine, we love that word.  Better than Buick and Lacrosse.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »
I like the changes and all but some companies seem to be really good with ingredient descriptions that don't necessarily equate in the end.
Hyundai failed on the fuel economy specs and the GT still has some ride qualities to be ironed out. They were both hyped heavily at one point.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:03:17 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS

Now if you could just format them so I don't have to redo them for our website! (kidding!)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:50 pm »
SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS

Now if you could just format them so I don't have to redo them for our website! (kidding!)

I'm always open to suggestions - fire me an email and let me know what would make your life easier. Happy to consider it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
I like the changes and all but some companies seem to be really good with ingredient descriptions that don't necessarily equate in the end.
Hyundai failed on the fuel economy specs and the GT still has some ride qualities to be ironed out. They were both hyped heavily at one point.

I agree...and hopefully the changes addressing the NVH will actually do something - it'd be a welcomed change for this class of [noisy] cars.  I do love the feeling of Hyundai's 2.0L Nu engine - very smooth, and feels quite powerful, relatively speaking.  Stiffer chassis, too...I wonder if that'll sort out the rear-suspension fussiness. 

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

What's wrong with a "naked" engine?
Car pr0n?

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:38 am »
  Good job Hyundai/Kia, seems while Honda, Toyota and Subaru(WRX) have given Canadian buyers the send off with respect to hatches they will gladly accept the new sales handed to them.