14 (60.9%)
Only if they are old people
0 (0%)
Check for winter tires first
5 (21.7%)
Suck it up buttercup
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Do you help push cars that get stuck?  (Read 6157 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Do you help push cars that get stuck?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:52 am »
Chrysler 300 + A/S Tires + 20 cm of snow = going nowhere.

I watched this guy struggle in front of my house for 20 minutes.  I was surprised how many people just motored on by him instead of stopping to help.  Eventually a few people came to his aid.

I would have helped but:

1) He didn't seem to know what he was doing.  Mashing the go pedal does not make you move. Just me pushing would have made no difference.
2) It was just me and the kids and I'm not going leave my 2 & 4 year old in the house.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:17 am »
Ford Ranger in the ditch yesterday, pulled over on a backroad to make sure they were ok, looked like they hit the ditch pretty bad. Im sitting on the wrong side of the road, with my hazards and headlights on, this idiot drives by and yells "YOURE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE F$%KING ROAD" as Im just seeing if the occupants were ok. They had a buddy coming so they didnt need help but I couldnt believe how inconsiderate the moron driving by was. This isnt a major highway, the sightlines are awesome on this road, I had my hazards on and he could have gotten by no problem....  ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »
Ford Ranger in the ditch yesterday, pulled over on a backroad to make sure they were ok, looked like they hit the ditch pretty bad. Im sitting on the wrong side of the road, with my hazards and headlights on, this idiot drives by and yells "YOURE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE F$%KING ROAD" as Im just seeing if the occupants were ok. They had a buddy coming so they didnt need help but I couldnt believe how inconsiderate the moron driving by was. This isnt a major highway, the sightlines are awesome on this road, I had my hazards on and he could have gotten by no problem....  ::)

You should have flagged him down, and thanked him, asked him which way to the beach.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 07:38:11 am »
Call Saf 1-555-6969..to get a shove OFF..................remember the GOOD SAMARITAN.
 he didn't even have a Car and I told him to shove off... ;D

I now officially have 1,000 Heaven points...for helping others as i too have been aided. :light: :banghead: :banana: :hello:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:07 am »
Saf, when will we see you posing in Show and Shine beside this new    2014 Forester XT   that has appeared in the Saf car list? 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 03:31:44 pm »
Once I get help pushing it out of the 1inch snowdrift in my driveway ::) ;) ..be patient my
disciple ;D ..I have barely put the Lotus away..and i need to get my Chakras aligned... >:D :shuffle:
 the left one is  drooping....................... :run:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 10:38:28 am »
Just this morning, waiting for a neighbor to back out of her driveway....well, she decides to back into a large snow drift with her MDX. Of course being an awd vehicle, it has no need for snow tires  ::) Ask her to lock the 4x4 and shut off traction control.....she looks at me like I was speaking Swahili, "the big button on the dash that say VTM Lock??" still....dead cow eyes looking at me. Sigh....ok, good, her husband comes running out of the house, he'll sort this out...nope, get the truck stuck worse and spins the wheels so much now there is a VTM warning light flashing  ::)  :banghead:. I offered to pull them out but there was no tow hooks on the front of this thing....fail Acura...fail....Hope she got out alright, not only was she blocking part of the street but her entire driveway and I wouldnt even want to think how long a tow truck would be today.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 10:58:58 am »
Shockingly, I've never, ever seen a vehicle stuck in the snow where I could help.  Assuming I wasn't in some crazy rush, I would help so long as the help would do something - I'll help get a car unstuck, but only if the person agrees to turn around and go home.  I won't have them getting into accidents because their car (or driving ability) is ill-suited for the conditions.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 11:40:06 am »
Just this morning, waiting for a neighbor to back out of her driveway....well, she decides to back into a large snow drift with her MDX. Of course being an awd vehicle, it has no need for snow tires  ::) Ask her to lock the 4x4 and shut off traction control.....she looks at me like I was speaking Swahili, "the big button on the dash that say VTM Lock??" still....dead cow eyes looking at me. Sigh....ok, good, her husband comes running out of the house, he'll sort this out...nope, get the truck stuck worse and spins the wheels so much now there is a VTM warning light flashing  ::)  :banghead:. I offered to pull them out but there was no tow hooks on the front of this thing....fail Acura...fail....Hope she got out alright, not only was she blocking part of the street but her entire driveway and I wouldnt even want to think how long a tow truck would be today.

You probably have to install the hook like most new cars.  It's in the trunk.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 11:45:35 am »

You probably have to install the hook like most new cars.  It's in the trunk.

Or the manufacturer could remove their head from their collective a$$es and actually install proper tow points front and rear on every vehicle. Stupid POS didnt even have a trailer hitch....pathetic.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 12:12:16 pm »
It's built to go to the mall

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »
It's built to go to the mall

Recovery points shouldnt be relegated to expedition vehicles only.....mall or not, a tow hook would have saved them a pile of money, time and aggravation.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 12:22:58 pm »
Or the manufacturer could remove their head from their collective a$$es and actually install proper tow points front and rear on every vehicle. Stupid POS didnt even have a trailer hitch....pathetic.

Not even one hidden somewhere?

If you look to the right of my license plate on the glossy black portion, there is a small circle. You use a flathead to pry it out and the tow hook is there.

Alternatively, here is the ricer way to do it:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 12:23:26 pm »
But it does.  It has both front and rear.  You just pop the plastic cover off and thread the hook in.  Pretty much every single car made is like this now.

Most cars also have a tiedown hook at the back as well. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:25:57 pm by wing »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »
But it does.  It has both front and rear.  You just pop the plastic cover off and thread the hook in.  Pretty much every single car made is like this now.

Most cars also have a tiedown hook at the back as well.

Not even one hidden somewhere?

If you look to the right of my license plate on the glossy black portion, there is a small circle. You use a flathead to pry it out and the tow hook is there.

Alternatively, here is the ricer way to do it:

So this is something that you install after you have slid off of the road......thats smart  ::) Ok, next time Ill look for a hole in the bumper, still wont help, I betcha that stunned moron this morning wouldnt have known what I was talking about.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:32:51 pm by Fobroader »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:09 pm »
That's the way it works.  Guaranteed the tow truck driver that came to pull them out threaded that in.  It's in the manual. 

This isn't a truck.  Heck even my LX570 doesn't have hooks on the front of it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 12:33:59 pm »
I guess Im just not used to these new cars, every SUV/truck Ive ever known or owned has had tow points front and rear. Ill look for the hole and eyebolt thing from now on.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »
Even the corolla has one *gasp*

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »
Even the corolla has one *gasp*

A screw in thingie or a towing eye??

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 02:41:10 pm »
haha...you be amazed how many people never read their owners manual.