Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX  (Read 20297 times)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:12 pm »
The new design kinda looks like an update of the previous gen Legacy GT. In fact with the increased size I wonder how close it is to that generation?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:11 pm »
While I agree with some and disagree with others, my concern over the WRX/STi really goes down to price and niche.  In particular, I think Subaru is exiting the niche by making it mainstream, but at current prices, it's way too expensive to just be the performance edition of an Impreza.

I think it makes more sense as an Impreza XT, or keep it as a WRX/STi, but price it as such.  Base price around $25k, loaded with options for $30k, STi base at $30k, loaded at $35k.  Ha, giving $5k to Subaru options (sh!t nav, ok leather, and virtually no tech).

No question, if I could get this WRX Limited for $30-32k (not $35k like the current model), I'd grab it in a second.  $5-7k on top of an Impreza for the performance enhancements can't be that unreasonable.

I would think it would sell far better than the WRX any way, even if it was 'dumbed down' from its current state.  Most won't take their WRXs for a rally-run.

That's all to be said only if they want to make the WRX a mainstream player, like these upgrades suggest.  If they want to keep it a niche-only player, keep it as is (but style it like the full-realistic concept).

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »
In other words:  adopt US pricing.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:02 pm »
^^^ Sure :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:36:54 pm by NoTo »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 01:27:26 pm »
The more I look at the WRX's photos, the more I like it.  Two areas I would really, really like changed:  Side mirrors and tail lights.  They just look kind of cheap/toy-ish.  Otherwise, I do like the styling.

And I just found this on Motortrend:
"Subaru's early fuel economy estimates for the CVT WRX are 19/25/21 mpg city/highway/combined, which is equal to the five-speed-manual-equipped outgoing car. While unimpressive, Subaru says that in Intelligent mode, the 2015 WRX is good for 30 mpg highway.
Subaru's early fuel economy estimates for the new WRX with the manual are 21/28/24 mpg."

I'd be amazed if the CVT did worse than the manual, so I'm guessing the 19/25/21 are the #s from the previous generation's 5-speed manual.

So if I'm deciphering M/T's sh!t writing correctly, the CVT WRX should get 24/30/25ish?  The Forester XT is rated at 25 mpg combined...same powertrain, weighs less and with better cd?  I'd think the WRX can do better (or the Forester XT is inflated).

Autos.ca staff - any insider scoop on your end about fuel economy?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:36:43 pm by NoTo »

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 12:57:08 pm »
36K for a WRX limited is bordering on outrageous. I know from experience, dude, if you know what I mean. There are other players in this segment now and Subaru either need to re-investigate their pricing or get some more standard features/quality into the car.

What other players are in this segment now? I think the only (relatively) new player is the Focus ST. The WRX has always been priced above or close (non-limited) to the GTI, MS3 and Ralliart. I agree though, I wish it was a few thousand less for sure. But maybe there is a supply/demand equilibrium that justifies that price for Subaru.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »
36K for a WRX limited is bordering on outrageous. I know from experience, dude, if you know what I mean. There are other players in this segment now and Subaru either need to re-investigate their pricing or get some more standard features/quality into the car.

What other players are in this segment now? I think the only (relatively) new player is the Focus ST. The WRX has always been priced above or close (non-limited) to the GTI, MS3 and Ralliart. I agree though, I wish it was a few thousand less for sure. But maybe there is a supply/demand equilibrium that justifies that price for Subaru.

Obviously the AWD remains the Subie's biggest differentiator over the GTI, MS3 and ST.   But if you want to at least add some of the comforts of the limited package you start to creep dangerously close to the price of a Golf R, no?   

I would certainly fork out the extra $3k-4k (something like that) for the Golf R over this WRX limited.  Sure, the AWD system might not be quite as good, but I'd like everything else about it more.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2013, 01:15:24 pm »

Obviously the AWD remains the Subie's biggest differentiator over the GTI, MS3 and ST.   But if you want to at least add some of the comforts of the limited package you start to creep dangerously close to the price of a Golf R, no?   

I would certainly fork out the extra $3k-4k (something like that) for the Golf R over this WRX limited.  Sure, the AWD system might not be quite as good, but I'd like everything else about it more.

But when it comes to performance, the WRX has much bigger possibility.....just the fact that the Golfs engine is pointed the wrong way puts it at a disadvantage.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 04:10:55 pm »
I'm also in your demographic.  My priorities are AWD, 'something' more upscale, HIDs, heated seats, and I'd like a backup camera.  I'd be willing to throw down $35k all-in (literally).  US-spec WRX fits that, but Canadian pricing will end up pricing Subaru out of a customer - except the missus will always re-lease her subie (though she HATES the CVT).

The styling doesn't bother me.  The lack of a hatch is upsetting, but also not fatal.  I like that they offer the CVT (well, any automatic).  It saddens me that I'm getting a cheap-sh!t interior despite forking out $35k pre-tax.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2013, 05:26:04 am »
I am also disappointed by the deletion of the hatch.

Guess we'll just have to buy the 2015 Hyundai GT hatchback when it comes out with the new 175 hp 2.0 L GDI engine.  That will be fun.  If that's not enough, then just take the turbo from the Genesis Coupe model and boost the power up to 275 easily.

Good luck with that.  You are underestimating how difficult it will be to turbo the Elantra GT.  First, the Genesis has the engine longitudinally mounted whereas the Elantra GT is transverse.  So, your exhaust manifold may not fit, along with all the other piping, intercooler, etc.  Then, the Genesis is port injected whereas the Elantra GT is direct injected.  You are not going to be able to just swap ECUs.  You might have an easier time swapping the whole powertrain from a Sonata 2.0T, but say goodbye to the manual trans.  Pretty sure the manual trans won't take the over 50% bump in torque.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 08:54:18 am »
I imported a U.S. WRX limited - for 31K on the road - for the extra features but especially HIDs. Why you can't get them in Canada is a travesty.

Well, given that the USD:CAD ratio is going to :censor:, I bit the bullet and bought $35k in USD today (dad works for a bank, so I got a pretty decent rate).  It'll collect interest now in a USD account until June 2014 when I pop out to Northtown Subaru and buy me one of these...(unless I decide on something else by that time)
Can't hurt to buy USD when the forecasts are that the Canucky-dollar will fall to $0.88 USD soon.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 09:00:19 am »
I imported a U.S. WRX limited - for 31K on the road - for the extra features but especially HIDs. Why you can't get them in Canada is a travesty.

Well, given that the USD:CAD ratio is going to :censor:, I bit the bullet and bought $35k in USD today (dad works for a bank, so I got a pretty decent rate).  It'll collect interest now in a USD account until June 2014 when I pop out to Northtown Subaru and buy me one of these...(unless I decide on something else by that time)
Can't hurt to buy USD when the forecasts are that the Canucky-dollar will fall to $0.88 USD soon.

Hope you are considering used as US dealers have been instructed not to sell new cars to Canadians.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2013, 12:36:16 pm »
  But if you want to at least add some of the comforts of the limited package you start to creep dangerously close to the price of a Golf R, no?   

Agreed. Problem with Golf R is it's too limited to be a realistic competitor. Lets say you made your decision to buy a Golf R. Where are you going to find one to buy new?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
Hope you are considering used as US dealers have been instructed not to sell new cars to Canadians.

That may be true for Toyota and others, but Subaru has no issues with it.  I have a few dealerships that are willing to do it, and have, in fact, been doing it for years.

My neighbours have bought 2 Legacies new from the US as well.  E.g.

http://www.billmcbridesubaru.com/canadian-customers.htm

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2013, 03:49:00 pm »

That may be true for Toyota and others, but Subaru has no issues with it.  I have a few dealerships that are willing to do it, and have, in fact, been doing it for years.

My neighbours have bought 2 Legacies new from the US as well.  E.g.

http://www.billmcbridesubaru.com/canadian-customers.htm

Within the last month or two?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »
last Legacy was in August, I believe.

What's changed?

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2013, 04:30:44 pm »
  But if you want to at least add some of the comforts of the limited package you start to creep dangerously close to the price of a Golf R, no?   

Agreed. Problem with Golf R is it's too limited to be a realistic competitor. Lets say you made your decision to buy a Golf R. Where are you going to find one to buy new?

Well, we're talking about the 2015 WRX here.  It's not on dealer lots either.  But even if it was, I'm suggesting I'd wait for the MKVII Golf R over it.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2013, 09:07:49 pm »
last Legacy was in August, I believe.

What's changed?

There have been a US Subaru dealers in the last few months that have stopped selling to Canadians.

Quirk Subaru in Bangor Maine was one I was familiar with. They used to have a blurb on their website about Canadian sales, but it has disappeared.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline supercrip

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 WRX265 Stage 2
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2013, 10:27:46 am »
 I was thinking 2015 STI but need a hatch layout so I went and got my deposit back. I'll hold on to mine for a while longer to see what might be coming next and consider other options. Not many options for AWD hatches at least here in Canada.   
Cheers!!
Andre

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2013, 04:08:47 pm »
Cad and Driver was complimentary in their review.  ???