Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX  (Read 20306 times)

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
Re: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 09:05:50 pm »
Let's keep things in perspective. Subaru have never offered competitive auto transmissions. Up to the  intro of the CVT, the 4 speed was standard fare. The CVT must be significantly better in all respects.

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 10:50:01 pm »
I am also disappointed by the deletion of the hatch.

Guess we'll just have to buy the 2015 Hyundai GT hatchback when it comes out with the new 175 hp 2.0 L GDI engine.  That will be fun.  If that's not enough, then just take the turbo from the Genesis Coupe model and boost the power up to 275 easily.

Offline dawsonj

• Noob
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 WRX
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:43 pm »
I do not understand why the author of this article is so horny for big wheels. There is nothing better about bigger wheels aside from visual preference.
They are heavier using more fuel and sapping performance. They cost more to replace, and tires are more expensive. I wish the WRX came with smaller wheels myself.
I have 15" wheels on mine and a lot of people love them including myself. Plus they are logical.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 09:35:24 am »
They are heavier using more fuel and sapping performance. They cost more to replace, and tires are more expensive. I wish the WRX came with smaller wheels myself.

Hmm...I applauded a noob - a good start to your life in the forum.  Hear that, Jeffer?!   :rofl:
I agree, 17" are the largest I ever want to see on my vehicles.  The RX400h has 18"ers OEM, but our winter tires are now 17"ers and we saved about $250 between the tires and rims.  In fact, the 17"ers for the RX were about $80 more overall than the 15"ers we put on the Corolla.  Cars coming out with larger tires are actually contrary to our vision of seeing winter tires on every car (in locations that should have them) - my father was vehemently against buying winter tires because he thought he had to pay for 18"ers.  When I told him he could get the 17"ers for not a heck of a lot more than the Corolla's 15"ers, he got 'em the next day.  I can only imagine how people feel when they buy a Venza or CX-5 with 19"ers and then get a quote for winter tires of the same size...or "downsizing" to 18".  Sheesh.

It makes no sense that you can buy a Forester with a turbo but not a BRZ. And the turbo Forester only comes with a CVT... WTF? If you want the 6 speed manual you have to get the non-turbo with the five spoke wheels.

They could have came out with an "Impreza XT" two years ago with the same power train instead of waisting everyone's time with the WRX concept that they showed last year..

Oddly enough the Impreza and the Forester are built on the same platform, so what is the point of the Crosstreck? Oh right, it's for people who don't want power seats—is it still 1975? And do we really need two high-performance Impreza models, one that now has less horsepower than a V6 Camry? I see they got rid of the hatchback—good work Subaru! Given that I see the hatchback model is far more popular than the sedan in my area... sigh.

I'm going to try and remain calm while I respond to your rant.  I'll start by indicating that it's a little harsh on Subaru, a relatively small player with limited resources when compared to the likes of Toyota/Honda/VW.

We know that the BRZ does not have the turbo because the FA20 turbo set-up placed the turbo under the engine.   To maintain the BRZ's low centre of gravity to have the Cayman as its benchmark, they cannot raise the engine to fit a turbo onto it.  Beyond that, slapping more power into the chassis will change the driving dynamics - you need to do more than just give a car more power, and that all takes time and costs a bundle to design.  The BRZ was not meant to be a huge seller for Subaru - it was a way to partner technologies with Toyota to make some amazing stuff, like the FA20 engine.  Note that the EJ engine block is a 25+ year old design - Subaru doesn't just produce engines for sh!ts and giggles.

As for your qualm about the turbo being CVT-only, numbers speak louder than your prissy-pants words.  Neither Canadians, nor Americans, buy manuals.  For example, there's an article that states:
"Most estimates put the market share of manual transmission cars in the United States at less than 10 percent. Whether it’s a lowly Nissan Sentra or the mighty Porsche 911 GT3, it seems that Americans just do not want to drive a three pedal transmission. The die hard manual crowd, as vocal as they may be, can’t seem to get anyone to listen to them, for love or money. If only they knew that just a few hours north of Boston, there existed a land where automotive purity was considered as the full contact lap dance.
One of the quirks of the Canadian marketplace is the abundance of “Quebec specials”; stripped out models with no air-conditioning, a manual transmission and little else. It would be unfair to compare these cars to the Nissan Versa S because these are often variants of good cars, like the Honda Fit or the Kia Rio, but other crappier examples are out there as well. Nissan, for example, makes a Sentra with a 6-speed manual and no A/C for sale in Canada and not the United States, solely as a concession to the Quebec market."
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/06/quebecs-obsession-with-no-frills-cars/#more-492087

I think the WRX is an icon and I'd love for it to be better than it is - especially stylistically.  I also think you're correct that an Impreza XT would be a smarter move in addition to the WRX.  Many folks find the Impreza to be too weak, but don't want a $35k boy-racer toy.

As for the deletion (those pesky Cybermen...) of the Hatchback, there simply wasn't enough funding to redesign both the sedan and the hatch for WRX and for STi.  It takes a lot more than simply changing sheet metal to produce both.  Based on consumer demand, they stuck with the sedan, stating that 70% of all WRX/STis were sedans.  It's possible they'll reintroduce it if the sedan sales go way up - start buying.

The Crosstrek makes a lot of sense - some find the Forester too large, uses more fuel than they need, and can be too expensive.  There are priorities that create certain niche markets, and minor tweeks to existing models is an economical way to enter those niches.

Peak horsepower numbers also mean very little.  The Forester XT with the 2.5T outperformed the Legacy Wagon with the 3.6L H6 for pretty much every category, even with less power and torque.  The Forester also outperforms the Camry V6 in every way as well, including 0-60 times, and did even with the 224hp 2.5T.

This is long enough - if you don't like Subaru, then move along, but don't spew out hatred based on incorrect facts.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 09:46:55 am »
The 19" rims are only available on the CX-5 GT.
The 17" are for the other models. 16" are the smallest that will fit over the brake calipers.
I went with 17" winters because there was a much larger selection of available winter tires.
So downsizing in tires is also affected by tire selection.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 09:56:56 am »
The 19" rims are only available on the CX-5 GT.
The 17" are for the other models. 16" are the smallest that will fit over the brake calipers.
I went with 17" winters because there was a much larger selection of available winter tires.
So downsizing in tires is also affected by tire selection.

Of course, but why would you get a CX-5 in non GT form  ;D  I was just mentioning two examples of cars I know that come with 19" wheels.

Can 16"ers match the speedo/ABS requirements?!  Just checked it out - you're right, can go from 16"-20".  Jeepers.  The profile goes from 50mm to 70mm depending on size.  Still, 19" All-seasons/summers when tread wears is a pricey affair, unless you want to go out and buy new rims for those, too.

The225/70R16r are -1.21% too slow from the 225/50R19s.  It'd be acceptable (within 3%).
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/225-55R19/225-70R16

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:25 pm »
The Crosstrek makes a lot of sense - some find the Forester too large, uses more fuel than they need, and can be too expensive.  There are priorities that create certain niche markets, and minor tweeks to existing models is an economical way to enter those niches.

That was us. We downsized from an Outback 3.6R. The current Forester was too large. The CrossTrek fits pretty well.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 01:18:23 pm »
I can't believe there's anyone defending this new WRX. I'm sorry but I think it's utterly terrible from a styling standpoint. I'm so disappointed.

For the love of sweet Jesus, why come up with the stunning concept car and then produce something that's not even close to it? I think the styling is a step backwards, and that's really saying something.

They're going "mainstream" with the car that became popular because is wasn't. It was always this different looking but mean looking rally car and to me that was part of the appeal. Jesus, this thing doesn't excite me AT ALL. Total pass, and this coming from the guy who sold his WRX before the new one was revealed thinking it would go down in value once the great new WRX came out. :censor:, my old car probably just went up in value.

Maybe they're like BMW and the new 3 series.  (Going after a new, wider customer demographic and prepared to risk losing a chunk of the old customer base in exchange for getting them)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 01:19:12 pm »
I can't believe there's anyone defending this new WRX. I'm sorry but I think it's utterly terrible from a styling standpoint. I'm so disappointed.

For the love of sweet Jesus, why come up with the stunning concept car and then produce something that's not even close to it? I think the styling is a step backwards, and that's really saying something.

They're going "mainstream" with the car that became popular because is wasn't. It was always this different looking but mean looking rally car and to me that was part of the appeal. Jesus, this thing doesn't excite me AT ALL. Total pass, and this coming from the guy who sold his WRX before the new one was revealed thinking it would go down in value once the great new WRX came out. :censor:, my old car probably just went up in value.

Lots of people talk about WRX's but have never owned one so they don't have a clue.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 01:24:35 pm »
  I also think you're correct that an Impreza XT would be a smarter move in addition to the WRX.  Many folks find the Impreza to be too weak, but don't want a $35k boy-racer toy.

They tried that a few years ago when there was the Impreza, Impreza WRX and Impreza WRX 265. The middle-child was around $30k but I guess there was just too many models to spread amongst not enough buyers and for the next model year the modest WRX was axed. I think though that a CrossTrek with a mild boost might have a better uptake.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »
"Gawd that black one is sexy.....pppffft....yeah, ok, nice Corolla, wheres the black car...wait...the red one is what the black one will look like in production...?!?!?!?!?? WTF guys!!!"
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »
The problem to me is that there doesn't seem to be any specific part of this car that's a big leap forward from the previous model.   Exterior still looks shitty, but more boring to further reduce the appeal.  Interior looks slightly better than my 2010 WRX, but still behind what Mazda, Ford and VW were offering 5 years ago.  Powertrain is very similar.

What are we supposed to get excited about?

Will the MKVII Golf R be the only "sporty" option for AWD + Hatch + Manual?  Me thinks so....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
The problem to me is that there doesn't seem to be any specific part of this car that's a big leap forward from the previous model.   

Agreed.  With all the hype about the WRX being on a dedicated platform (and that gorgeous concept) the end result is a huge let down. 

I don't understand why they bothered with the dedicated platform if they were just going to gussy up an Impreza.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 02:43:01 pm »

The fuel economy of the CVT-optioned WRX!   :rofl:

The other problem, and this goes more for the STi, is that you have the S3 and CLA45 to contend with in essentially the same price bracket.....and they're better cars....unless the STi really steps it up.

Have you driven either?  I'm not necessarily convinced you're correct, respectfully, unless you're talking about the badge.  My boss was invited down to Vegas to drive all the AMG models.  He hated, literally HATED the CLA and said that it's unfortunate because it's the perfect car for his son (I wish I was his son).  I just asked him what he thinks of the WRX, and his response was that it's what his son currently drives (a 2011) and he takes it out on occasion for fun. 

Both the CLA and the S3 have merit, but I'm just not necessarily assured that both are "better" - they will definitely be more luxurious, but not sportier.

I am finding that Subaru's prices are starting to creep up.  It's rather unfortunate.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »
I too find it looks like a darn Corolla. It is of course a matter of personal opinion but to me the WRX is getting uglier and more generic looking with each redesign. It also seems Subaru is incapable to design a decent interior; perhaps it is time they go still a few Korean or NA designers/engineers...

Hopefully the exceptional driving dynamics will not be lost with the manual transmission. But what is the CVT offering saying about Subaru new priorities?

Sadly, the greenhouse on the Corolla is much more attractive. The WRX greenhouse looks like a Beetle Bubble.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

The fuel economy of the CVT-optioned WRX!   :rofl:

The other problem, and this goes more for the STi, is that you have the S3 and CLA45 to contend with in essentially the same price bracket.....and they're better cars....unless the STi really steps it up.

Have you driven either?  I'm not necessarily convinced you're correct, respectfully, unless you're talking about the badge.  My boss was invited down to Vegas to drive all the AMG models.  He hated, literally HATED the CLA and said that it's unfortunate because it's the perfect car for his son (I wish I was his son).  I just asked him what he thinks of the WRX, and his response was that it's what his son currently drives (a 2011) and he takes it out on occasion for fun. 

Both the CLA and the S3 have merit, but I'm just not necessarily assured that both are "better" - they will definitely be more luxurious, but not sportier.

I am finding that Subaru's prices are starting to creep up.  It's rather unfortunate.

I've driven the current STi and I wouldn't spend the money on the upgrade over the current WRX (and I didn't).

They way I see it is the CLA45 and S3 will essentially have all the performance of the Sti with a significantly better interior for close to the same price. Plus you won't look like a boy-racer when you go to meetings in your suit. Your bosses opinion is different that the reviews I've read.

S3 is somewhat close to current STI price.  CLA45 not so much.  A base CLA45 is 50K, I was quoted 37K for a base STI sedan when I was shopping in Calgary.  That's a big difference in price.  Also, we have no idea what Subaru will be asking for the new STI.  Over the last 10 years the price of STI has gone down 20% MSRP wise in Canada. So it could keep going down.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 06:55:52 pm »
Well, STi sport tech is 43K.....if I was shopping in the range I'd think about going the little bit higher and get either of those cars.

That doesn't mean everyone thinks like me but I bet a lot do. All I'm saying is that the new STi better step it up more than the new WRX has.

If the CLA45 was available when you bought your TL...I'm guessing one would be in your driveway? 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 09:01:12 pm »
I've been obsessing a bit over the 45, and video and written reviews have a lot of the same kind of comments that the TT-RS got when it first came out: way more than the spec sheet suggests, puts the hurt on some serious iron, who cares it's a four, and so on.  I watched Chris Chase test it, and expected him to hate it.  He's been desensitized by 599s and stuff like that.  Chris loves it?  Whaaa?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:02 pm »
Well, STi sport tech is 43K.....if I was shopping in the range I'd think about going the little bit higher and get either of those cars.

That doesn't mean everyone thinks like me but I bet a lot do. All I'm saying is that the new STi better step it up more than the new WRX has.

I hope so but I have my doubts.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 12:28:16 pm »
The problem to me is that there doesn't seem to be any specific part of this car that's a big leap forward from the previous model.   

Torque-vectoring is a big one in my mind, but will have to wait for the reviews/tests to see how much it improves the handling over the previous gen and perhaps even a Ralliart. But this tends to get overshadowed by the CVT. And people just don't really care about torque-vectoring and/or LSDs effect on handling.

Also, if the "new" 6-spd is a better shifter that is another big one for me. For something you move quite frequently that rubbery feeling of the previous gen 5-spd can be really annoying/disappointing. The 6-spd in the STi alone is almost worth the price step up from the WRX.

WRT to S3 comparison, if you want to row your own gears the S3 is out. Required combo of manual, AWD, hatch  :(, minimum 300hp really only leaves the STi. Well, if they delete the hatch I guess there *might* be a few other players for this combo.