Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX  (Read 20315 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:22 am »

The WRX improves incrementally on the previous generation, but the optional CVT transmission is sure to cause some debate.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:29:14 am »
I agree "what's the big deal with the auto trans" ? If you're buying a WRX or similar then the manual should be the only transmission you should be looking at.
If auto and demur are what you're looking for then Subaru offers a Impreza with your name on it.

I like the changes to the front. The rear hints at the BRZ but I agree that it needs more bite in this car.
Even the 2014 Hyundai Sonata has nicer more aggressive rear lights
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:34:38 am »
It's too bad that the better AWD system is only equipped on models with the CVT.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:54 am »
fake carbon fiber trim...=(
CVT...=(
big wing gone...=(
no gold BBS rim...=(
no rally blue...=(

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:10:21 am »
I agree "what's the big deal with the auto trans" ? If you're buying a WRX or similar then the manual should be the only transmission you should be looking at.
If auto and demur are what you're looking for then Subaru offers a Impreza with your name on it.

Maybe you are trying to be funny, maybe not but I don't get this line of thinking. Should M3 buyers be told to get a 320, Corvette driver told to get a Cruze....where does it end?

As long as Subie continues to offer a stick in the WRX who cares. If adding a CVT increases sales and hopefully profit, maybe they can do more great cars in the future.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:58:07 am »

Maybe you are trying to be funny, maybe not but I don't get this line of thinking. Should M3 buyers be told to get a 320, Corvette driver told to get a Cruze....where does it end?

As long as Subie continues to offer a stick in the WRX who cares. If adding a CVT increases sales and hopefully profit, maybe they can do more great cars in the future.

The WRX is not the M3 as you are referring to. If you were talking about the STI then I'd understand the comparison and issue with the auto, but not in this case.
Subaru has decided not to play the gears game for many reasons I'm sure cost being a big part of it. Subaru has to utilize the parts bin and that means more CVT as standard auto offerings.
I'm confident with higher margin vehicles such as the STI, Subaru would entertain a 6spd auto or similar but their new auto mandate as seen on all newer vehicles is clearly going to continue with CVT.
It seems the auto wave for most manufacturers with new offerings as evident by the latest Corolla & Civic. I'm sure specialty vehicles with higher margins will continue with regular multispeed auto's.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:11:07 am by redman »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:12 am »
If you're buying a WRX or similar then the manual should be the only transmission you should be looking at.

With respect, I really think enthusiasts need to tune into reality.  I don't mean that to be offensive at all - but the reality is, as Quadzilla stated, why would you care whether there's an additional option?  Don't select it if you don't want it.  I, personally, will never purchase/lease/own a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission.  I love the drive of 'em, but certainly not in traffic, and on the highway, who cares - you're not rowing much.  It's something I save for the occasional time that I go and pay to do some laps on a track or while I'm on vacation in Europe.

If manuals make up ~3% of all vehicles sold in Canada, then a manufacturer making a car with that one sole transmission limits itself to that small niche market.  It doesn't make business sense.

The CVT may have its shortcomings, but it has helped Subaru to fix its fuel efficiency woes, it offers the flexibility of fuel efficiency or sporting dynamics (I still wish that you could default to whatever SI setting you want, though), and it has allowed for things like X-mode in the Forester, and now torque vectoring in the WRX.  It's not that they 'omitted' it from the manual, rather it's the CVT that enables them to do these things.

I, for one, would never have purchased a previous WRX because it was only offered with a manual.  For that same reason, I will not even with the 2015 be in a position to buy the STI.  I strongly am considering a WRX, with CVT, for purchase in July 2014 - if the price is right (a fairly big "if").  Any price increase would likely have me saying 'no thanks', but I can swing $35k on a versatile car like the WRX, which my lady can still drive (not that I'd ever let her).

What bugs me with the WRX redesign:
-no turn signals on the side mirrors looks rather...bland.
-tail lights look rather...bland.
-looks like they stuck with the same sh!t infotainment screen for the Navi as they have in the 2014 Forester (shocker...)
-not that I necessarily want it, but I don't see EyeSight offered.  What's the deal?

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:22:50 am »
Cannot wait for the cinematic sequel to "Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift - the CVT edition"....  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:28:22 am »
Cannot wait for the cinematic sequel to "Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift - the CVT edition"....  ;D

LOL....they will all be in their mid 50's, driving in the fast lane, 20 under the limit, signal on, only nitrous in their cars will be their heart pills, drag races will last 20+ seconds for the 1/4 mile as not to shatter the fragile snowmobile tranny....Fast and Furious 7- Blocking the passing lane.....Soundtrack by Burt Bacharach and Neil Sedaka.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:47 am »

LOL....they will all be in their mid 50's, driving in the fast lane, 20 under the limit, signal on, only nitrous in their cars will be their heart pills, drag races will last 20+ seconds for the 1/4 mile as not to shatter the fragile snowmobile tranny....Fast and Furious 7- Blocking the passing lane.....Soundtrack by Burt Bacharach and Neil Sedaka.

^^^

:rofl2:  :rofl:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:59 pm »
This is just a WRX anyway not a WRX STI? They'll probably go all out with the STI.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »
Not sure how much more the CVT will be than the manual, but what a deal! An auto transmission (if you're so inclined or require it) AND torgue vectoring for about an extra $1300! If the CVT works as good as the Nissan Juke's (I'm an owner), then it will truly be impressive. I have absolutely no issues with the CVT (if it's paired with the right motor).

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »
  It seems obvious that  more and more manufacturers will completely sway to the American preferences. I was waiting for this car for a long time but need a hatch which from what I see in Ontario seems to be more numerous on the roads as far as WRX's go. Love Subies but forced to now go elsewhere.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »
I am most disappointed by the deletion of the hatch. Hopefully they will offer one for the STi but its gone on the WRX it doesn't look good for the STi.

I am next most disappointed that the manual does not get torque vectoring (on the CVT system does anybody know which axle is the pusher?).

Speaking of the manual, fair bet its the 6-spd from the Legacy being the older 5-spd with an extra gear as opposed to the better 6-spd in the STi?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »
This is just a WRX anyway not a WRX STI? They'll probably go all out with the STI.

Not sure if ya'll saw this, but:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/196chmh0qm6ckjpg/original.jpg

No CVT in STi, and the STi will have a "2.5T" - so either a brand new engine, or carryover powertrain...either way, displacement will remain the same.

The Blue exterior and gold wheels are available for the STi in the "Launch Edition" only.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »
I am most disappointed by the deletion of the hatch.

Agreed. What happened to being dog friendly?

Now if only Subaru would stop gouging Canadians on price. (Here's your chance to reedem yourself!)

I'm glad it doesn't look like a Toyota.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 04:32:03 pm »

Now if only Subaru would stop gouging Canadians on price. (Here's your chance to reedem yourself!)

Um... there is quite a resemblance of the WRX to the Toyota Corolla, notably the angular, blocky shape.

Offline Mongo McMongo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 06:55:33 pm »
I don't understand what Subaru is doing anymore. The model lineup doesn't make any sense. It makes no sense that you can buy a Forester with a turbo but not a BRZ. And the turbo Forester only comes with a CVT... WTF? If you want the 6 speed manual you have to get the non-turbo with the five spoke wheels. Funny that Subaru's base non-turbo models have sportier looking wheels than the more expensive turbo models with the CVTs. I guess it's time for me to take my birth control pill being that I'm a guy and all.

They could have came out with an "Impreza XT" two years ago with the same power train instead of waisting everyone's time with the WRX concept that they showed last year.. and no STI yet!!!. I guess they'll be unveiling it in 2016 at the Geneva Auto Show or whatever—it looks like it's going to have the exact same engine as before!

Oddly enough the Impreza and the Forester are built on the same platform, so what is the point of the Crosstreck? Oh right, it's for people who don't want power seats—is it still 1975? And do we really need two high-performance Impreza models, one that now has less horsepower than a V6 Camry? I see they got rid of the hatchback—good work Subaru! Given that I see the hatchback model is far more popular than the sedan in my area... sigh.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 07:46:54 pm »

Um... there is quite a resemblance of the WRX to the Toyota Corolla, notably the angular, blocky shape.
Whoa....never mind!

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:14 pm »
I too find it looks like a darn Corolla. It is of course a matter of personal opinion but to me the WRX is getting uglier and more generic looking with each redesign. It also seems Subaru is incapable to design a decent interior; perhaps it is time they go still a few Korean or NA designers/engineers...

Hopefully the exceptional driving dynamics will not be lost with the manual transmission. But what is the CVT offering saying about Subaru new priorities?