Author Topic: LA Auto Show: Honda Enhances 2014 Civic With New CVT, Increased Power, Safety Equipment  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Civic now available with Honda LaneWatch blind spot display and Smart Entry with push button start

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
well, happy to hear about the interior changes, but I'm thinking the rest will all be useless to making the Civic the "best compact" ever.

...new engine producing "a modest 3hp increase..." So you mean it'll still be near the bottom of the pack in terms of power output.  Not impressed.  The beginning of the article makes it sound like it'll pave the way for the future of Compacts.  I really don't see that as the case.

I'm a big fan of the Civic as a value proposition, but it is falling behind in terms of value and materials used.  Still, a better interior and some good tech may be all it needs to stay relevant.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Why would you use "enhances" and "CVT" in the same sentence?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Why would you use "enhances" and "CVT" in the same sentence?

Ding Ding Ding....  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
well, happy to hear about the interior changes, but I'm thinking the rest will all be useless to making the Civic the "best compact" ever.

...new engine producing "a modest 3hp increase..." So you mean it'll still be near the bottom of the pack in terms of power output.  Not impressed.  The beginning of the article makes it sound like it'll pave the way for the future of Compacts.  I really don't see that as the case.

I'm a big fan of the Civic as a value proposition, but it is falling behind in terms of value and materials used.  Still, a better interior and some good tech may be all it needs to stay relevant.

Not impressed with the power output? Interesting but you had no qualms about the Corolla output.
I believe the Corolla has less hp.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:26:23 pm by Black Hatch »

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
I remember the old days when Honda and Toyota were the top of the market in compact cars.  Now they are also rans that sell to people who buy for the name and don't test drive anything else.

The Mazda3, Cruze, Focus, the Korean twins and even the Dart rate higher on my shopping list now.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
I remember the old days when Honda and Toyota were the top of the market in compact cars.  Now they are also rans that sell to people who buy for the name and don't test drive anything else.

The Mazda3, Cruze, Focus, the Korean twins and even the Dart rate higher on my shopping list now.

I wouldn't go that far. 

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

I wouldn't go that far.

Why not?  The Dart is much better looking and even a short drive showed it had an interesting character not found in the generic Civic (and Corolla).  Until they improve a few things the Dart wouldn't be my first choice but it would be ahead of Civic/corolla. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Not impressed with the power output? Interesting but you had no qualms about the Corolla output.

I don't have a qualm with the Corolla's output, and I don't have a qualm about the Civic's either - it was a statement to show that it remains mid/low-pack when it comes to on paper power.  I'm more concerned about 0-30 and 80-100 times than 0-100.  All of these cars are sufficient in that regard.

My point, to be clear, was that since the press release makes claims to indicate that the Civic is one of the best C-segment cars ever, I'm a little surprised that they wouldn't try to match the competition where it matters (i.e. direct on-paper numbers, which is what consumers see/consider). 

The Civic's aren't far from the bottom (if you ignore the 115hp Jetta), but rather than focus on a 3hp increase, focus on "enhanced drivability and mid-range torque" or something, if true.

I see far more 2014 Corolla LE Ecos than other trims; those 8hp and 'better fuel economy' promises seem to resonate well with Torontonians.

P.S.
The Dart, in my eyes, only beats out the Lancer, Cruze, and the base Jetta.  I'd take any of the following before a Dart:  Civic, Corolla, Focus, Forte, Impreza, Elantra, Sentra (though unlikely), etc.  Even if that list is comprehensive, that would place the Dart as 8th on my list.  It's not getting my cash no matter what, unless some awesome Game of Thrones manipulation is used.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:21:26 am by NoTo »

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile

I don't have a qualm with the Corolla's output, and I don't have a qualm about the Civic's either - it was a statement to show that it remains mid/low-pack when it comes to on paper power.  I'm more concerned about 0-30 and 80-100 times than 0-100.  All of these cars are sufficient in that regard.

My point, to be clear, was that since the press release makes claims to indicate that the Civic is one of the best C-segment cars ever, I'm a little surprised that they wouldn't try to match the competition where it matters (i.e. direct on-paper numbers, which is what consumers see/consider). 

The Civic's aren't far from the bottom (if you ignore the 115hp Jetta), but rather than focus on a 3hp increase, focus on "enhanced drivability and mid-range torque" or something, if true.

I see far more 2014 Corolla LE Ecos than other trims; those 8hp and 'better fuel economy' promises seem to resonate well with Torontonians.

P.S.
The Dart, in my eyes, only beats out the Lancer, Cruze, and the base Jetta.  I'd take any of the following before a Dart:  Civic, Corolla, Focus, Forte, Impreza, Elantra, Sentra (though unlikely), etc.  Even if that list is comprehensive, that would place the Dart as 8th on my list.  It's not getting my cash no matter what, unless some awesome Game of Thrones manipulation is used.

Why does the regular Civic need more power?

People who buys Civics want affordable fuel efficient reliable transportation. I used to drive a 2008 civic and never thought it was under powered. If you want more power buy a car with a bigger engine.

This isn't a smartphone specs competition. These sell like hotcake's so why try to match less successful competition?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

*sigh* read it again, then re-post.  I never claimed that the Civic needs more power.  I don't like that they're claiming it's the best compact out there, stating "a modest 3hp increase", and not addressing the competition.

It's just a blanket statement with little behind it.  That's my qualm, not the available power output.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile

...new engine producing "a modest 3hp increase..." So you mean it'll still be near the bottom of the pack in terms of power output.  Not impressed. 

Sorry dude, I guess I assumed since you are not impressed with the 3hp increase and surprised they are not matching the competition on paper numbers that you would prefer the civic with more something...

Why beat up Honda for stating it's the best c-segment car ever? Doesn't every manufacturer state that their product is the best/class leading. Although it would be funny if Honda claimed the Civic is their third best c-segment ever lol.

Why try to match less successful competition?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
*voiceover* The all new Dodge Dart - it sucks less than previous small Dodges". Haha, that would be awesome to hear.

"The new Dart, we promise its not as bad as the Omni....or the Neon....or the Caliber....trust us...."

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech

*sigh* read it again, then re-post.  I never claimed that the Civic needs more power.  I don't like that they're claiming it's the best compact out there, stating "a modest 3hp increase", and not addressing the competition.

It's just a blanket statement with little behind it.  That's my qualm, not the available power output.

Does the Corolla address the competition?
I'm sure the Toyota marketing is claiming its the best ever.
I mean standard LEDs on all models.

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
If you want more power, and you hate CVT transmissions, then wait until next year when HYUNDAI brings out their optional GDI 2.0 L engine for their Elantra GT, with 175 hp, and a conventional 5-speed automatic transmission (like it has now).   

Now THAT is the car that I'm waiting for, because I want more power,  a 'Normal' automatic, and a hatchback so I can carry my bike a bit more easily, without that 'tipsy' feeling that comes with today's CUVs.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
If you want more power, and you hate CVT transmissions, then wait until next year when HYUNDAI brings out their optional GDI 2.0 L engine for their Elantra GT, with 175 hp, and a conventional 5-speed automatic transmission (like it has now).   

Now THAT is the car that I'm waiting for, because I want more power,  a 'Normal' automatic, and a hatchback so I can carry my bike a bit more easily, without that 'tipsy' feeling that comes with today's CUVs.

A five speed??? Are you sure?   Sounds a little behind the times. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

I wouldn't go that far.

Why not?  The Dart is much better looking and even a short drive showed it had an interesting character not found in the generic Civic (and Corolla).  Until they improve a few things the Dart wouldn't be my first choice but it would be ahead of Civic/corolla.

why do I have a feeling you'd have written this at the time the Caliber was launched?....LOL

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

I wouldn't go that far.

why do I have a feeling you'd have written this at the time the Caliber was launched?....LOL

Which part?

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)

A five speed??? Are you sure?   Sounds a little behind the times.

Yeah, I think you can either have a 6MT or 6AT.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

::)  ::) Also rans  ??? The Civic and Corolla are both in the top 3 in Canadian Auto sales.