Author Topic: Top Picks: 2013 LA Auto Show Highlights  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Top Picks: 2013 LA Auto Show Highlights
« on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:18 am »

Senior Editor Jonathan Yarkony was on hand for the LA Auto Show, and picks some of his favourite concepts, and a couple of lowlights that can't be ignored.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Top Picks: 2013 LA Auto Show Highlights
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:31 am »
I enjoyed the article but where were the promised "Lowlights"? ??? (always more interesting to read about screwups  :)

Other than that Puma thing from a company I can't pronounce and have never heard of what were the duds?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:00:24 am »
Youabian Puma - Actually I like it.  If the front fenders hadn't melted off in the cargo container - probably left out in the sun - it is what I've always wanted.

A convertible with 3 rows of single seats for deep snow.  Coming soon to your snowmobile dealer.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:31:39 am »
Some interesting highlights especially the Legacy from Subaru. Wonder how the production unit will differentiate.

MB Gran Tourismo piece is more reminiscent of my sons video games than a showing of a concept.

The Porsche Macan seems a bit boring and old hat in it's design.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:36:56 am »
Some interesting highlights especially the Legacy from Subaru. Wonder how the production unit will differentiate.

MB Gran Tourismo piece is more reminiscent of my sons video games than a showing of a concept.

The Porsche Macan seems a bit boring and old hat in it's design.

There was an actual physical concept of the MB Vision. I have added a photo to the slideshow.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:16:58 am by JacobBlack »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:46 am »
The Macan looks great. I prefer its styling to the Cayenne. Sales will really explode once the base Macan arrives next year. However, I think potential customers will be a bit shocked by Porsche option pricing. I doubt many will leave the lots for under $50k.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:07:50 am »
That Legacy looks awesome
Hope they don't pull another WRX concept/Impreza switcheroo

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:22 am »
The Porsche Macan is actually a really smart move.  Of course, Porsche enthusiasts will be livid, but especially going the MB route of making the diesel the "base" engine - brilliant.  And hell, 6-seconds isn't exactly slow for a CUV that should get stellar fuel economy out of a diesel.  It'll probably match the Rav4/CRV for fuel economy, but be hella more fun to drive, faster, and sound better too.  The price isn't too high either, all things considered.  I just hope that sloping hatch doesn't compromise its cargo capacity too much.

Subaru is disappointing me lately.  I mean, if I were ever to buy a WRX, it would need an automatic and the CVT doesn't bother me.  Instead:
1) The tail lights were beautiful on the concept, but now they look almost as bulbous as the garbage they throw on the Impreza.  I think the design of the WRX is fine, except for the derrière. 
2) the low front end concerns me for susceptibility to damage
3) The interior, although better, still isn't exactly stunning (the Tribeca's interior is so nice, why can't they use that as their parts-bin approach, albeit with nicer materials?!)
As for the Legacy, we know that it'll also be "smoothified" when it goes to production.  I'm a bit concerned as to the monstrous size that it has grown to...it just seems like a massive car.  No doubt it'll get the FA20 turbo, too, which will make it a fuel economy:power leader in the segment, even with AWD.  I'm more interested to see the interior of the new Legacy - but it'll also disappoint.

Overall, I think Ford is taking a better approach these days - more fun to drive, better looking, decent fuel economy, new and exclusive tech, and nobody thinks about quality issues any more.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 12:33:25 pm »
The Porsche Macan is actually a really smart move.  Of course, Porsche enthusiasts will be livid, but especially going the MB route of making the diesel the "base" engine - brilliant.

That's not the case though. Porsche is simply aping the original Cayenne and Cayman debuts where the S model was first and a true base model came six months to a year later.

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:00:54 pm »
I suppose VW Group investors will love the Macan. I'm an enthusiastic capitalist but some days I hate the concept of Creating Shareholder Value.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:01 pm »
jonathan,  you mentioned a diesel for the macan but i don't think that's coming to canada...i also read there will be a 4 cylinder 250hp gas version.  did Porsche reps say anything to you?

Lesley's doing a full preview, so she'll cover it then - i think you're right that we won't get the diesel initially – there was no diesel here on display but it caught my eye in the press materials.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:25 pm »
I enjoyed the article but where were the promised "Lowlights"? ??? (always more interesting to read about screwups  :)

Other than that Puma thing from a company I can't pronounce and have never heard of what were the duds?

the second one was implicit - the WRX...

Other than that, most of the show was of less significant and inoffensive trims and updates - Toyota only showed a 'research' vehicle. Some people found the Honda Fuel Cell car a bit too much, but I didn't get shots, nor did i get a close look and have someone researching that.

it's not exactly a lowlight as much as something i feel is so niche that despite the interesting design it's not very relevant, but we'll find out when we get the full hydrogen research piece I've got someone working on. It used to be all the rage, then just fell off the map... What happened?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 01:57:02 pm »

What's wrong with the WRX?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »
...fuel cell technology requires too big an infrastructure and too great a compromise to be widely accepted quickly.

Diesels and Hybrids don't require anything - just fuel and go.
Electrics use what houses already have, with the option for a Level 2 (or greater) charger to be installed.
Plug-ins offer the best of both worlds (albeit with a lot more junk in the trunk).

Fuel Cells don't necessarily offer 'free' transport like electric vehicles (still need to pump liquid hydrogen, and who knows what the cost per unit volume would be).  Then there's the requirement for hydrogen production  and pumping stations, the safety/regulatory framework, and for vehicles to not be a driving compromise (limited range, durability with cold weather, speed vs economy).

Like the Tesla Model S, fuel cell vehicles can be built with all its weight low in the chassis, allowing for a low Centre of Gravity.  That seems promising, but the other fuel cell components take up space, weigh more, and cost more.  In all, it just isn't cheap.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »

What's wrong with the WRX?

I was disappointed in the design. I fell hard for the WRX concept - i thought it might have been the best car at the New York Auto show, a truly distinct model from the Impreza, which Subaru implied, and this WRX again looks like an Impreza with a hood scoop, front skirt, widebody kit and paint job.

it's not bad in and of itself, just really made me sad we wouldn't have a production car as nice as that concept.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:18 pm »
For now, the diesel will be Europe only – but we will get the four-cylinder variant.
I'm not a big SUV fan, but the Macan really appeals to me. It sits low (but there's an optional air suspension with 9" of travel for the light off-road folks). The interior is as nice as the Cayenne or 911, and you can ramp it up with Sports Chrono package and ceramic brakes. A big winner, I think, given that the luxury compact SUV segment is the fastest growing global market.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »
Youabian Puma - Actually I like it.  If the front fenders hadn't melted off in the cargo container - probably left out in the sun - it is what I've always wanted.

A convertible with 3 rows of single seats for deep snow.  Coming soon to your snowmobile dealer.

Cheers,
John M.
Isn't there a better pic with just the front end?
It looks like cheesy grinning puma about to pounce I think.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

Cheers,
John M.
Isn't there a better pic with just the front end?
It looks like cheesy grinning puma about to pounce I think.

knock yourself out:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=youabian+puma&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=LcSPUsKiL-mx2AWv-4GoDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1497&bih=847

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:59 am »
I was disappointed in the design. I fell hard for the WRX concept - i thought it might have been the best car at the New York Auto show, a truly distinct model from the Impreza, which Subaru implied, and this WRX again looks like an Impreza with a hood scoop, front skirt, widebody kit and paint job.

it's not bad in and of itself, just really made me sad we wouldn't have a production car as nice as that concept.

Two points:

1. Expecting a concept to be brought to production pretty much as-is is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
2. The whole "distinct model" thing seems to be a rumour that was perpetuated by the online media. Expecting a company the size of Subaru to build a unique sport sedan for under $30k on a distinct platform isn't exactly realistic.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »
I've lost interest in the WRX. After the hoopla and rumours put out by Subaru themselves, I can't see it as anything but a disappointment.

Sales of the WRX have been slipping as it was. This isn't going to help. In the UK the Subaru line-up is down to the BRZ, XV, Outback and Forester. If they don't smarten up, they'll be in the same position here.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken